Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Years of PE Memories! Share them!

Good lord, where to start??

- Bananas.
    - The DC Wars (in all their various incarnations).
    - Omega Monkey's truly demented hatred of all things Steven Wilson.
    - The Johnny Quest Wars (in all their various incarnations).
    - Jegheist threatening to quite literally blow up NEARFest in either 05 or 06.
    - The endless spats with Yanks over Dream Theater and politics.
    - The truly spectacular Billy Sherwood meltdown...

...the end really is listless. Along the way, I occasionally remembered to post about music, have met some pretty amazing people who I dearly hope will remain friends for life, some of whom have been kind enough to put me up in their houses. I've also been turned on to some pretty amazing music/art/literature I'd never have heard about any other way. If life is no longer as intense here as it once was, then I have to say that's no bad thing - it sure was fun along the way, though!!

Another thing I have to mention is that as a result of PE, I was able to spend an afternoon in Amsterdam with Rarebird (Renate) and Trane (Hugues), as well as having dinner with Just Eric (across the pond from CA on business), Kid Running Fox and my late love Kay in London.

In addition, Kay and I hung out with Le Orme's Aldo Tagliapietra for 3 days when we were in Italy, and had Tommo show us London and Credo's Mark Colton take us to both Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral when we were in the UK.

Kay & I also met up with our Toronto friend Boilk (Neil) in Paris (he was coincidentally in France for the RIO festival the year we were also in the country). We spent an evening at a Paris jazz club and the next day toured the palace at Versailles.

All these international adventures would not have happened without this site.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Does anybody remember the "best bathrooms at NEARfest thread"?

That was hilarious!
    That was a great one! And to toot my own horn, my "Sleeping at NEARfest" thread. Someone mentioned how some guy next to them was just totally in the zone and sleeping away, which at the time seemed hilarious, Of course, Ian caught me napping at this past ProgDay, but to be honest, I was pretty loaded.My idea in this thread though, for standing concerts, was that everyone should stand in a bottom-half suit of armor that was mounted to the floor, with a sort of seat, so that you didn't half to actually support yourself. Steve Wislon should invest in it.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-20-2018 at 10:36 PM.

what is prog?

PS: you educate me. i love you all.

You all seem to forget Wallace, the Prince...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Camples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Happy Birthday, Lino!
    Reglazing a bathtub

Just in case this goes to PM land

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I do like the people in the industry who post here regularly, those are some of the most interesting threads. Actually met Kavus at RIO before chatting to him here. Aymeric, Steve, Udi and Kerman are a big plus for me.
    I'd add "Strawberry Brick" Snyder, Ken Golden, Pat (from Galileo Records) Alain Lebon (SZ), Bob Drake and Paul Sears

But absolutely... meeting all of those guys in Carmaux (well I'd met Aymeric way before then) is one of the great joys PE's brought me

Quote Originally Posted by vis4victor View Post
    The middle eastern vendor you mention ,would not be jazzis from isreal would it ?
    i wonder where he went tbh ,i ordered from him several times.
    what better place to have your prog ,come form Isreal and blessed by rabi
    Adam was an interesting (but expensive character), but he certainly didn't make it easy on himself, and pushing his failing business.
    I ordered once or twice from him - mostly british jazz, but even then, it wasn't straightforward

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Downes
    How to prove that you can be famous and be an a-hole

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Another thing I have to mention is that as a result of PE, I was able to spend an afternoon in Amsterdam with Rarebird (Renate) and Trane (Hugues), as well as having dinner with Just Eric (across the pond from CA on business), Kid Running Fox and my late love Kay in London.
    still think regularly of that afternoon smoking doobies (well you had your pipe) with you, Steve
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Martin Orford was another one who was here for a while...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The story of "Wally"

Good story & well told.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    - The truly spectacular Billy Sherwood meltdown...
    I forget what that was about, but I vaguely remember it happening. I also remember him posting something along the lines of 'wow, really?' when Chris Squire claimed the then-current incarnation was the best. (To be fair that wasn't unreasonable!)

...all the music polls.

Sandrew
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Omega Monkey's "The Smokers Thread"
    The Big Bang, if you will. The birth of the SFC and the PE underground....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My profile says I joined in 2013, but I'm positive it was before that, as I remember the debates about what went wrong with Nearfest 2011 (and even the discussions before it was cancelled).

For me, the funny story is that I avoided ProgressiveEars for many years (probably heard about it around 2001 or so) because people told me it was "brutal" and that people were constantly attacking each other. Okay, so that last part may have been true Anyway, after spending a few years on ProgArchives forums (!) I finally signed up here and was surprised at how tame it was compared to ProgArchives (and some old Yahoo groups I'd been on since the late 90's). It's weird because I think I was even friends with Sean on Facebook before I ever came over here. I remember seeing most of the group pictures at Nearfest being shot when I was there, but for some reason just was afraid to check out the site (I'm a loner, maybe that's it ).

This is by far the most interesting and informative of the prog discussion groups I've been on over the years, and often the most hilarious as well.

I am so glad I was here to see the Billy Sherwood meltdown/exit, as well as the Downes "Yuppets" comments. Good stuff.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Member since 2005. I heard about this site on another message board (RaveRecs at the AudioReview site).

What ever happened to Luis Nasser (I forgot who called him Nasshole)?

Anyhoo, it was Luis that coined a favorite phrase of mine - 'Frankenprog'

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Adam was an interesting (but expensive character), but he certainly didn't make it easy on himself, and pushing his failing business.
    I ordered once or twice from him - mostly british jazz, but even then, it wasn't straightforward

I ordered from him to, but wasn't on this board until he was gone, apparently. I encountered him on a Yahoo group, "World Prog" I believe it was called.

I also encountered you, Mr. Trane, long before coming here, over on ProgArchives. I loved your reviews as I found them quite funny at times and insightful at other times. I defended you in the Flower Kings thread one time, even though I'm a long time fan of that band and you were, um, not Anyway, lots of great people here, some of whom I "met" online previously.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Member since 2005. I heard about this site on another message board (RaveRecs at the AudioReview site).

What ever happened to Luis Nasser (I forgot who called him Nasshole)?

Anyhoo, it was Luis that coined a favorite phrase of mine - 'Frankenprog'
    I'm friends with him on Facebook, so he's still around and still as acerbic as ever. Personally, I like the guy's honesty

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Sick Fuck Club and meeting most of them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Thanks for the memories of the memories, people. Some were before my time.

One fond memory was when threads went private and we had private threads for banned subjects.
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'm friends with him on Facebook, so he's still around and still as acerbic as ever. Personally, I like the guy's honesty
    Guys a sweetheart, still active in the music scene if not here and permanently angry at the world.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm still very tight w/Luis and his family, and usually see him/them on my Chicago jaunts (which are getting more sporadic unfortunately as I age). The last time I saw them was a few months ago when my son & I went down to see the unlikely musical alliance of Luis and Tim McCaskey (of Sonus Umbra & Might Could) acting as the drumless rhythm section for a house concert featuring Magenta's Christina Booth and neo-prog chameleon Clive Nolan, with Sonus Umbra's Rich Poston manning the sound board.

Many here know this, but for any who don't, Luis and his wife Ursula are both internationally known physicists. Luis may just have the sharpest, quickest wit of anyone I've ever known.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Ha ha love the Lake/Alembic quote. In a bizarre way I came to like that ‘toppy jangle’ but at times with Emerson’s Hammond key click and the hi End toms of Palmers kit all you heard was 3 sort of ‘click’ sounds. Quite amazing and never repeated. Wasn’t there a genuine thread about Lake using wrong outputs!!!

The things that stand out for me:

The evolving story of Nektar from the reunion, through several members posting here, to Roye's unfortunate passing, to now and Nektar's bizarre afterlife...

OT threads on coffee and scotch...

Learning about some of my now-favorite bands (Salem Hill, Magma, Renaissance, many more)...

A number of good people with whom I've had private correspondence and the occasional trade...

Mr. Toad...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Oh, and: Finding out that there were prog fans even older than me
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Big Bang, if you will. The birth of the SFC and the PE underground....
    Some of the best comedy from some of the funniest fuckers I've ever met. Miss those days!

For the record, it was me & Klonkers that had Billy Sherwood heading for the door. And also for the record...he threw the first punch!

Any One of a Number of Wise-Asses: "..will this be televised?"
    TooTall128: "Let me check my sources."

Vinnie's yearly birthday thread to (then mild nemesis) Calabasas where everyone chimed in to say how honorable it was for Vinnie start said thread while ignoring the birthday wish all together.

DC/WillianKatt/MetMan/etc's (among a handful of others [JohhnyQuest/ToddGack/etc to name one] inability to slide back in under the radar after returning post-ban as a new identity. I always laughed my ass off when they were pretty much called out immediately by the community.

WALLACE!

Good times. I mostly lurk nowadays, but I still enjoy it here. Thanks for the memories.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINO!
    Last edited by Paulie; 12-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."