Thread: Lindsey Buckingham Ann Arbor Michigan

Lindsey Buckingham Ann Arbor Michigan

I saw Lindsey Buckingham with opening act JS Ondara at The Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor Michigan Saturday night.

Opening things up was singer / songwriter JS Ondara who did a pleasant set of songs without a band, just him and his guitar. Ondara is from Kenya and does not even have an album out yet, but he was engaging performer with a nice voice and interesting songs. His half hour set was engaging and I enjoyed it.

After an intermission Buckingham came on with a full backing band of two keyboards (and some guitar), drummer and bassist. They created a rich full sound with plenty of vocal harmonies especially on the Fleetwood Mac material. Lindsey has always been an engaging performer. He often told stories in between songs and alluded to the situation with his old bandmates without actually coming out and talking about it directly. After the main set Lindsey took the time to introduce each of his bandmates, telling where they were from and information about each of them. After the show I heard a few people grumbling in the bathroom that Buckingham talked too much, but for me I enjoyed his stories and introductions and thought it was classy how he showed respect to his band and audience. Lindsey mixed up the set list with various songs from his solo career along with Fleetwood Mac classics. The show was in a theater and at the beginning, as so often happens with an older audience, half the people wanted to stand and half wanted to sit. In the end the audience sat after the first few numbers. Lindsey’s material is so broad, and goes from quiet ballads to loud rockers and everything in between. In the middle of the set, the band departed the stage and Lindsey did several songs with just him and his guitar. When he performed “Never Going Back Again”, there was little doubt where the sentiment was aimed, and I got the feeling that he really meant it this time. Of course Buckingham’s guitar playing is amazing using his unique finger picking style, almost like one would play a banjo. He is a master at concert pacing and once he broke out “Holiday Road” the crowd was on it’s feet for the rest of the show. “I’m So Afraid” was a highlight with it’s long guitar solo showing off Lindsey’s chops. The main set closed with a rocking version of “Go Your Own Way”. For the encore, Buckingham and his band came out and did 3 more songs. It was a great night of music as Lindsey and the band were in top form. If you are at all a Fleetwood Mac / Buckingham fan I would highly recommend this tour if it is coming to your town. Here is the set list:

DON’T LOOK DOWN
    GO INSANE
    SURRENDER THE RAIN
    NOT TOO LATE
    DOING WHAT I CAN
    TROUBLE
    I MUST GO
    STREET OF DREAMS
    SHUT US DOWN
    NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN
    BIG LOVE
    IN OUR OWN TIME
    SLOW DANCING
    SOUL DRIFTER
    HOLIDAY ROAD
    TUSK
    I’M SO AFRAID
    GO YOUR OWN WAY

ENCORE:

TURN IT ON
    DOWN ON RODEO
    TREASON

Thanks for sharing. Sorry I missed it. I saw him a looooong time ago at the Majestic Theater in Detroit. He was amazing then. He performed with what would've passed for a surround sound/multichannel P.A. of the day. His drummer was one of Chad Wackerman's brothers (I can't remember if it was Brooks or John).

Nice review, as always, Steve.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

he's got a solo career spanning box set out 3CD. the 3rd disk is live and includes some songs he wrote for Fleetwood Mac

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Antholog...sey+buckingham

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    he's got a solo career spanning box set out 3CD. the 3rd disk is live and includes some songs he wrote for Fleetwood Mac

You might like this thread.

Excellent review, as always, SteveSly!!!

Also, perfect show -- that's why it pains me to know I will not be able to witness it for myself. Buckingham performing half of Out of the Cradle??!! Damn!

Here is the breakdown from this show:

Law And Order
    TROUBLE

Go Insane
    SLOW DANCING
    GO INSANE
    I MUST GO

Out of the Cradle
    DON’T LOOK DOWN
    STREET OF DREAMS
    SURRENDER THE RAIN
    DOING WHAT I CAN
    SOUL DRIFTER
    TURN IT ON

Under The Skin
    NOT TOO LATE
    SHUT US DOWN
    DOWN ON RODEO

Gift Of Screws
    TREASON

Seeds We Sow
    IN OUR OWN TIME

Soundtrack
    HOLIDAY ROAD

Fleetwood Mac
    NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN
    BIG LOVE
    TUSK
    I’M SO AFRAID
    GO YOUR OWN WAY

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post

For this tour, if you buy a ticket, it includes the single disc version of the anthology. I decided to go ahead and purchase the 3CD version and it is very good. My only gripe is that I was hoping the live disc would be new unreleased live stuff, but the tracks are taken from Lindsey's previous live albums, all of which I already have. That being said, for people who don't have his solo or live albums, the album is a great collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Excellent review, as always, SteveSly!!!

Also, perfect show -- that's why it pains me to know I will not be able to witness it for myself. Buckingham performing half of Out of the Cradle??!! Damn!

Here is the breakdown from this show:

Law And Order
    TROUBLE

Go Insane
    SLOW DANCING
    GO INSANE
    I MUST GO

Out of the Cradle
    DON’T LOOK DOWN
    STREET OF DREAMS
    SURRENDER THE RAIN
    DOING WHAT I CAN
    SOUL DRIFTER
    TURN IT ON

Under The Skin
    NOT TOO LATE
    SHUT US DOWN
    DOWN ON RODEO

Gift Of Screws
    TREASON

Seeds We Sow
    IN OUR OWN TIME

Soundtrack
    HOLIDAY ROAD

Fleetwood Mac
    NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN
    BIG LOVE
    TUSK
    I’M SO AFRAID
    GO YOUR OWN WAY
    Yes, I was very pleased with the set list. "Out Of The Cradle" is also my favorite from him.

A great set list. If I saw it I would have pined for a couple more off Gift of Screws but that's nitpicking.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart