Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Do you own Brave? This is the pinnacle of the band's output in my opinion. More for the diehard, but the latest 5 CD Deluxe box set is incredible! I'd give Brave a shot if you don't already own it.
    The album never did anything for me (yet I have the original and the last remaster so I wasn't going to bother with the deluxe edition) Made Again is a slight improvement but not enough to save it in my opinion.

Brave is my least favorite album in their catalog. I like about half of Afraid of Sunlight as I've warmed to that over the last 20 plus years. That was the low point in Marillion fandom for me.

I'm heartened that they righted the ship with This Strange Engine and it's been a really fun ride ever since with the exception of Less is More. So I really don't have many complaints. I really enjoy most everything with those exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think you’re right about why Somewhere Else got a somewhat lukewarm reception. You got me to pull out the Somewhere in London DVD but I find myself watching the bonus footage of the little, private rehearsal show they did for some lucky winners at Racket studios. Lucky bastards! A great little set!

Seemed to me a lot of people dislike the song The Last Century for Man, because of the lyrics, but damn it’s a great song! With a great Rothery solo. This version of it is superb, IMO.
    The Somewhere In London DVD is great! One night while I was alone at the house and in the final stages of getting over a cold, I put this DVD on for the first time and watched it while sipping on rum & orange juice. It was somehow magical. The songs on Somewhere Else that hadn't really worked for me before suddenly did work for me, in a big way. I came away with more appreciation for those songs (even though I still haven't warmed to "See It Like A Baby").

I also really like The Last Century For Man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just to throw in a counterpoint. Although I like "Brave" to me it is far from a masterpiece. In fact I think the beginning and end of the album are brilliant, but to my ears it bogs down quite a bit in the middle. The concept was certainly ambitious, but I don't think they were completely successful. If I were to pick one album I would probably go with the 2CD version of "Marbles".
    Oh, I've always respected the attempt and I do think Brave served as kind of a prototype for their subsequent work which I'm able to enjoy a hell of a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I might give up if Brave was my first album also. Damn thing puts me to sleep.
    I consider Brave a failed experiment on all counts
    Brave is my least favorite album in their catalog.
    You mention this in every Marillion thread, but three times in the same one? Dude, we get it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You mention this in every Marillion thread, but three times in the same one? Dude, we get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Beauty, eh?

Beauty, eh?
    Sorry, Geddy paid me to say that (ten bucks is ten bucks). He loves Brave.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ytserush, is it something about Brave’s darkness you don’t like? Just wondering since you also aren’t crazy about AoS but think TSE was a step up. IMO TSE is a “lighter” album, so just wondering. It’s hard to imagine someone just finding it boring.

I think you’re right about why Somewhere Else got a somewhat lukewarm reception. You got me to pull out the Somewhere in London DVD but I find myself watching the bonus footage of the little, private rehearsal show they did for some lucky winners at Racket studios. Lucky bastards! A great little set!

Seemed to me a lot of people dislike the song The Last Century for Man, because of the lyrics, but damn it’s a great song! With a great Rothery solo. This version of it is superb, IMO.
    "Somewhere Else" is my least favorite Marillion album. I gave it a few more spins again prior to the latest tour, and it still does not click with me. The "Happiness Is The Road" albums are similar for me. There are a few individual songs that I like, but overall both albums kind of leave me cold. I have no idea why as I love most Marillion.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like a few songs from Brave but I too find it a bit boring as a whole.

ytserush, is it something about Brave’s darkness you don’t like? Just wondering since you also aren’t crazy about AoS but think TSE was a step up. IMO TSE is a “lighter” album, so just wondering. It’s hard to imagine someone just finding it boring.
    "Darkness" never bothers me. It just doesn't resonate. I don't find a lot of interest in it. I think the ground probably could have been covered in less than half of the time.

It kind of bugs me that it's the only Marillion album I don't dig as a whole so I should probably just ignore it, move on and enjoy most of the rest of their offerings.

"Darkness" never bothers me. It just doesn't resonate. I don't find a lot of interest in it. I think the ground probably could have been covered in less than half of the time.

It kind of bugs me that it's the only Marillion album I don't dig as a whole so I should probably just ignore it, move on and enjoy most of the rest of their offerings.
    Do you dislike the entire album?

Do you dislike the entire album?
    In a Word...Yes.

Got some work to do in my home office this morning and Marbles is the soundtrack.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Just heard Marillion for the first time. Usually when I post a thread about a band I have just heard, it is positive, but I can't think of anything good to say about Script for a Jester's Tear. My very first thought was that the singer was doing a lame impression of Peter Gabriel. My next thought was that the whole band was doing a lame impression of early Genesis. I have never heard such a shameless ripoff. I understand it was their first album. I hope they got better after that.
    Here's my take on Marillion from someone who just got into one Genesis album in the 90s (SEbtP). I'm not a fan of the band per se, or even albums, but a fan of their songs.

Marillion – Script For A Jester's Tear
    I hate the kitchy Fish English dramatic vocals, but got hooked on the orgasmic keyboard solo on Garden Party edging on it over and over like masturbating to keyboard melodies. I'm weird like that.
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Sc...r/master/16101

Marillion – Misplaced Childhood

Pseudo Silk Kimono - Great opening, don't even mind Fish singing, but it would be 5x better re-recording with Hogarth's voice.
    Kayleigh, Heart Of Lothian, Childhoods End? all great songs
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Mi...d/master/16191

Marillion – Seasons End
    The King Of Sunset Town - amazing intro, Hogarth really shines on this one.
    Easter - Didn't know this was a sing-along song until I saw the Cruise to the Edge fan video. How do people recite lyrics..I can barely recall a few words from the whole song.
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Se...d/master/16360

Marillion – Holidays In Eden
    No One Can - just a excellent pop song
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Ho...n/master/16264

Marillion – Brave
    One of the albums I should listen to in entirety. Good to know that Steven Wilson is remastering it, sounded good on CD when I heard it 20 years ago, what is there to improve?
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Brave/master/16135

Marillion – Afraid Of Sunlight
    Gazpacho - Possibly my favorite Marillion song, why is the remaster bass-heavy?
    Beautiful - a pretty good pop song
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Af...t/master/16210

Marillion – Marillion.com

All excellent songs, I got this during the dot-com days when I was working as an IT professional and made the most money in my life ($34/hr doing Oracle/C/Unix as a contractor), so this made it easy to buy CDs and afford to go to NEARfest and buy merch too! (Unfortunately, today I'm at poverty level, but it's good to know that milliniels that are self-disciplined can pick up free/cheap online programming courses and make as much money as I did with a few years of corporate work experience)

Rich
    Enlightened
    Tumble Down The Years
    https://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Ma...m/master/16415

For some reason I couldn't find that "Early Marillion" thread. I looked through over 100 Marillion thread titles!

Check out this old photo someone posted on Facebook of Fish, Euan Lowson (is he from Twelfth Night?), and Geoff Mann at the Reading Festival - this has to be the youngest I've seen Fish!

young fish.jpg

Euan was the lead singer for Pallas, and later Erg.

If it was Reading, it was probably 1983.

I hate the kitchy Fish English dramatic vocals,
    And his Scottish tongue-in-cheek lyrics?

For some reason I couldn't find that "Early Marillion" thread. I looked through over 100 Marillion thread titles!

Check out this old photo someone posted on Facebook of Fish, Euan Lowson (is he from Twelfth Night?), and Geoff Mann at the Reading Festival - this has to be the youngest I've seen Fish!

young fish.jpg
    Haven't cracked open Rothery's Postcards From The Road in a while, but I think there might be a few Fish photos from that era was well.

Apparently Mark Kelly had an accident (he will be fine!) yesterday or the day before - he was out running and, as he said, "had a collision with a truck." (He didn't say if the truck was moving or not!) They played a short video before the show of Mark explaining. He has some broken ribs, and some visible contusions on his head. But the band didn't cancel the show, they played a mixed set of h doing some solo versions of Marillion songs, Pete and h did some songs together, and the full band did some songs minus Mark, of course - I'm guessing with h playing keyboards. And they had a guest keyboard player for some songs (Riccardo Romano, I guess from Ranestrane?). If you want to see the video and the setlist, they're on Lucy Jordache's public FB page, and maybe on Marillion FB pages too - not sure.

Someone asked if they recorded the show - I hope so, as it would be quite interesting (seems it was Rothery's birthday as well). But I'm mostly just thankful that Mark will be ok.

One of the many reasons why I don't run.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just starting to read the Mark Kelly interview in the new Web UK magazine. Did he get divorced? I had no idea. He mentions his girlfriend.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-26-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Just starting to read the Mark Kelly interview in the new Web UK magazine. Did he get divorced? I had no idea. He mentions his girlfriend.
    No idea either. I'm glad he's OK though.

No idea either. I'm glad he's OK though.
    Yeah, this was obviously written before his accident. It's surprising because I remember people sort of complaining (god knows why) because at the time they figured he and his wife had a posh lifestyle because she had some job that earned her a lot, and he was doing ok with Marillion. Not sure what their beef was really. But anyway, too bad they broke up. Don't know anything about if they have kids.