Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U2 "The Joshua Tree" 30th Anniversary Tour

U2 "The Joshua Tree" 30th Anniversary Tour

Saw the tour 30 years when the album came out. This time the entire (great) album will be played. Hate stadium shows so will prolly pass. Ymmv as they do put on spectacular concerts.
    (I may end up going of course.)

May 12 – Vancouver, British Columbia, BC Place
    May 14 – Seattle, Wash., CenturyLink Field
    May 17 – Santa Clara, Calif., Levi’s Stadium
    May 20 – Pasadena, Calif., Rose Bowl
    May 24 – Houston, Texas, NRG Stadium @ NRG Park
    May 26 – Arlington, Texas, AT&T Stadium
    June 3 – Chicago, Ill., Soldier Field
    June 7 – Pittsburgh, Pa., Heinz Field
    June 8-11 Manchester, Tenn., Great Stage Park (Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival – actual date to be determined)
    June 11 – Miami Gardens, Fla., Hard Rock Stadium
    June 14 – Tampa, Fla., Raymond James Stadium
    June 18 – Philadelphia, Pa., Lincoln Financial Field
    June 20 – Landover, Md., FedExField
    June 23 – Toronto, Ontario, Rogers Centre
    June 25 – Foxboro, Mass., Gillette Stadium
    June 28 – East Rutherford, N.J., MetLife Stadium
    July 1 – Cleveland, Ohio, FirstEnergy Stadium
    July 8 – London, England, Twickenham Stadium
    July 12 Berlin, Germany, Olympiastadion Berlin
    July 15 – Rome, Italy, Olympic Stadium
    July 18 – Barcelona, Spain, Estadio Olimpico
    July 22 – Dublin, Ireland, Croke Park Stadium
    July 25 – Paris, France, Stade de France
    July 29 – Amsterdam, Netherlands, Amsterdam ArenA
    Aug. 1 – Brussels, Belgium, King Baudouin Stadium

Mumford & Sons appear May 12-17; The Lumineers May 20-June 7 & June 18-28.; OneRepublic June 11-14 & July 1; and Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds July 8-Aug. 1.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The stadium aspect of this will probably keep me from it, too. Which is a shame, as I'd love to see a show like this.

Oh well. There's always the DVD.

Meanwhile, here's what The Edge has to say about all of this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wow. No Atlanta date. We have both Turner Field and the Georgia Dome. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Saw the tour 30 years when the album came out. This time the entire (great) album will be played. Hate stadium shows so will prolly pass. Ymmv as they do put on spectacular concerts.
    (I may end up going of course.)

May 12 – Vancouver, British Columbia, BC Place
    May 14 – Seattle, Wash., CenturyLink Field
    May 17 – Santa Clara, Calif., Levi’s Stadium
    May 20 – Pasadena, Calif., Rose Bowl
    May 24 – Houston, Texas, NRG Stadium @ NRG Park
    May 26 – Arlington, Texas, AT&T Stadium
    June 3 – Chicago, Ill., Soldier Field
    June 7 – Pittsburgh, Pa., Heinz Field
    June 8-11 Manchester, Tenn., Great Stage Park (Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival – actual date to be determined)
    June 11 – Miami Gardens, Fla., Hard Rock Stadium
    June 14 – Tampa, Fla., Raymond James Stadium
    June 18 – Philadelphia, Pa., Lincoln Financial Field
    June 20 – Landover, Md., FedExField
    June 23 – Toronto, Ontario, Rogers Centre
    June 25 – Foxboro, Mass., Gillette Stadium
    June 28 – East Rutherford, N.J., MetLife Stadium
    July 1 – Cleveland, Ohio, FirstEnergy Stadium
    July 8 – London, England, Twickenham Stadium
    July 12 Berlin, Germany, Olympiastadion Berlin
    July 15 – Rome, Italy, Olympic Stadium
    July 18 – Barcelona, Spain, Estadio Olimpico
    July 22 – Dublin, Ireland, Croke Park Stadium
    July 25 – Paris, France, Stade de France
    July 29 – Amsterdam, Netherlands, Amsterdam ArenA
    Aug. 1 – Brussels, Belgium, King Baudouin Stadium

Mumford & Sons appear May 12-17; The Lumineers May 20-June 7 & June 18-28.; OneRepublic June 11-14 & July 1; and Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds July 8-Aug. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The stadium aspect of this will probably keep me from it, too. Which is a shame, as I'd love to see a show like this.

Oh well. There's always the DVD.

Meanwhile, here's what The Edge has to say about all of this.
    Yeah, I'll probably get the DVD also. I simply won't bother with ANY stadium show.

I met U2 in 1981. They opened for J Geils. We were backstage laughing at how horrible Centerfold was. They were cool guys. I bet they're not anymore...
    The Prog Corner

I spent part of the morning spinning disc two of the deluxe edition of October - there's some sizzling live stuff from the days when they were young and hungry.

This tour, like every other major tour, is not even going to come close to me and even then I doubt if I could afford it. I'll wait for the DVD or live album.

It's funny that U2 doesn't get much love on PE. I know some members are still butthurt about something Bono said thirty-five years ago about prog. But the Edge's sound experiments alone are worthy of discussion.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I met U2 in 1981. They opened for J Geils. We were backstage laughing at how horrible Centerfold was. They were cool guys. I bet they're not anymore...
    Hey, I didn't care for 'Pop' either, but I don't any of them actually had surgery or anything.

Yeah, the Cleveland show will be the first time they've played here in something like 20 years. I recall the one really huge tour they did (the one with the McDonald's arch towering over the stage and everything) in the late 90's didn't come to Cleveland, because at the time we didn't have a stadium (this was during the gap between the demolition of Municipal Stadium and the completion of Browns Stadium, now known as FirstEnergy Stadium, which for some strange reason only very rarely every hosts concerts).

If tickets aren't too expensive I might go. Would be cool to hear htem play Joshua Tree.
    We were backstage laughing at how horrible Centerfold was.
    I always thought Centerfold was a pretty good song. A lot of people dis the Freeze Frame album, but I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I thought Freeze Frame, Centerfold, Flamethrower, Piss On The Wall, and Angel In Blue were all good songs. Sure it's a bit "slick" and "middle of the road" compared to their Atlantic era records, but as such things go, I think it's still a lot better than what some people who'd been around for a decade or more were doing in the 80's.

FedEx field. A fail on several levels.
    Crap place to see a show, sound awful, you have to pay just to walk on to the property much less pay to park a car.
    I would like to see U2 again, just not there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Wow, a pair of weekend dates in the Pacific Northwest. Rare for a big time act. I might have to consider.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's funny that U2 doesn't get much love on PE. I know some members are still butthurt about something Bono said thirty-five years ago about prog. But the Edge's sound experiments alone are worthy of discussion.
    I loved them in the '80s but eventually Bono's arrogance and self importance got way too over the top for me by the decade's end. The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree still get spun at least once a year as well as Under a Blood Red Sky. The two live tracks from Wide Awake in America are among my all-time favorite live tracks ever.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

U2 taking on the road their "Joshua Tree" classic, 30 years after release? Seems like high school reunion nostalgia.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

1987 was a really good year for music... for me.
    although i always hated and still hate With Or Without You... this is a great album!
    i have the delux edition with bonus disc... many of the b-sides and unused songs were also good
    should have been a double album!

I tried so hard to like U2 many times in the 80s. Never succeeded. I can appreciate that Joshua Tree is deservedly mega-platinum, but it never did anything for me personally. The only U2 albums I sorta enjoyed were War and the early 1990s disc that was more dance oriented. Can't remember the name. Even those bored me pretty quickly.

EDIT: Looked it up on wiki, it was "Achtung Baby".
    Last edited by arturs; 01-10-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    U2 taking on the road their "Joshua Tree" classic, 30 years after release? Seems like high school reunion nostalgia.
    It's really a pity when any bands do this.

I seem to remember them doing an Acthung Baby-based set at Glastonbury for its 20th, so it's nothing new. My memory was that the performance was widely deemed to be a bit of a disappointment- they were expected to provide some kind of long-lasting 'moment' like Blur did in 2008, but it really didn't happen.

I suppose celebrating an 'anniversary' like this makes more sense with U2 than most as it's still the same line-up.

There's no denying that it's nostalgic, but The Edge says it's more than that in the interview linked above.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jefferson James
    Q. How come U2 still haven't found what they're looking for?
    A. Because the streets have no name.

Never warmed to The Joshua Tree but love Achtung Baby; I wish I'd seen that tour, I think they played LA twice.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I tried so hard to like U2 many times in the 80s. Never succeeded.
    Yeah to this day, every single song of theirs sounds EXACTLY the same to my ears. No other band has that effect on me as much as U2.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Yeah to this day, every single song of theirs sounds EXACTLY the same to my ears. No other band has that effect on me as much as U2.
    AC/DC? Nickelback?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've heard Bono will be seated for these shows, but he'll still be waving a white flag and yelling and stuff.

30 years late, but I guess I should at least buy the album and decide if I like it or not. I did like the War album though.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I remember the palpable energy of the Joshua Tree shows I saw in New Haven, CT and NJ in late '87. Felt like I was really seeing something...."important"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    AC/DC? Nickelback?
    Yeah, they're up there too.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I tried so hard to like U2 many times in the 80s. Never succeeded. I can appreciate that Joshua Tree is deservedly mega-platinum, but it never did anything for me personally. The only U2 albums I sorta enjoyed were War and the early 1990s disc that was more dance oriented. Can't remember the name. Even those bored me pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I was in college when Joshua Tree came out, and there was a guy on my dorm floor who I swear wore his t-shirt from that tour at least five days a week all year long. Everyone loved that album, and I just didn't get it.

To me their songs don't just all sound the same, they all sound like they're ripping off "Run Like Hell".

They'd be high on my list of most overrated bands ever.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.