Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings - 2018 recap and look ahead to 2019

The Flower Kings - 2018 recap and look ahead to 2019

Time for my yearly Flower Kings thread where we recap the last 12 months and speculate on what the new year will bring. And for the first time in the 4-5 years I've been doing these we actually have a new Flower King album to talk about!

So let's take the 2018 releases in the order they showed up in my mailbox - whether a project is "TFK related" or not follows my own special formula that makes sense in my head.

January:
    Steve Hackett - Wuthering Nights: Live in Birmingham
    Another in the live series of Hackett/Genesis live shows. Nick Beggs on bass here. I've enjoyed every one of these live cd/dvd/bd shows and this one is no different. Keep 'em coming Steve!

March:
    Tangekanic - Hotelcantaffordit - (Andy Tillison, Jonas Reingold, Goran Edman, Luke Machin, Steve Roberts)
    from the Slow Rust / Dot combined band tour. Wow is this great. This is live music as it should be - ALIVE. Yeah I wish it had Lalle on it so each band was at equal weight, but reality of touring is like this. Get this one if you still can.

June:
    The Flower Kings - A Kingdom of Colours II (2004 - 2013)
    A&E to Desolation Rose plus 3 bonus discs. The first two bonus discs held a few rare items. Nothing that hadn't been released before in some form but they make good listens and will be new to a lot of people. Some real gems in there (Kite, Buffalo Man, Last Exit, The Crown and the Cross, Jupiter Backwards) If you bought the first box set you of course need its companion.

Kalman Filter - Exo-Oceans
    atmospheric electronica project from Andy Tillison, I like the creativity that went into the album back story. Three pieces , each one named after an exo-planetary ocean somewhere in Andy's universe. Two of the oceans are serene and unspoiled, but a threat from the civilization that dominates the third.

July:
    The Sea Within - The Sea Within (Roine, Jonas, Daniel, Tom Brislin, Marco)
    Is this a Flower Kings album? You could file it like that - I was very excited when Daniel joined TFK as a full member for A&E. Lots of great stuff on that album but in some ways it was a little bit of let down especially after UtF. So now we have another opportunity for Flower Kings music with Daniel singing and this one really did live up to the hype. Songs are very well crafted here making it more immediately accessible than most TFK stuff. Didn't take me long at all to warm up to this one. The only thing marring this album is that it has a really strange song sequencing order. The first disc isn't balanced well and then they tacked on 4 great songs as an afterthought extra disc when they could have easily fit on the main disc. So it sort of sounds like 3 separate EPs run together. But no big deal. I just re-sequenced the songs and made my own tracking order. Works much better now.

November:
    Lalle Larsson Trio - Ashen Lights (Lalle, Jonas, Walle Wahlgren) 3/5 of Agents of Mercy here.
    Lalle is such a unique player and this one doesn't disappoint. Fans of Corea, Holdsworth, contemporary classical, 70's fusion. This one has a more intimate and organic feel then the Weaveworld series. It's just the 3 of them with Lalle improvising over the top. At times I felt like I wandered into a dark smoky jazz club late at night. Cool feel and mood here.

Roine Stolt - The Flower King - Manifesto of An Alchemist (Roine, Hasse, Jonas, Michael, Nad, Marco, Zach, Max, Rob)
    At last some official Flower King music! It is still early days with this one for me. I can say I like half of it alot. Tracks 4-9 ("High Road" to "Six Thirty Wake-Up") are excellent. This doesn't at all sound like the follow up to Desolation Rose. It almost seems like Proto-Flower Kings. Like it should slot between The Flower King and World of Adventures or even come before them all. Some of this has to do with Roine and Michael handling a lot of the bass. Throw in some Hydrophonia and a scoop of Wall Street Voodoo and you have Manifesto. A bit like an appetizer, it didn't quite fulfill my hunger for new Flower Kings.

The Tangent - Proxy
    Lots of fans saying this is the best Tangent album yet. I'm still partial to Spark and Slow Rust from the recent ones but this one is very good. I did prefer the original version of "Suppers Off" to the remake here. But there isn't a bad Tangent album. We just have our favorites.

Other
    Lalle Larsson guested on Chanan Hanspal's Only Two Things Are Infinite - with ex-Miles Davis alumni Bill Evans and Mike Stern and also played on Phi Yaan-Zek - Reality Is My Play Thing - Massive Triple CD also with Marco, Mike Keneally and Bryan Beller. - I haven't picked either of these up yet but plan to.

Marco Minnemann - I'm sure he did a ton of stuff as usual and now that he is part of the TFK family tree I should follow it all but I gotta draw the line somewhere! He is just involved in too many things for me to keep track of - I'm not the bondegezou of the Flower Kings!

Felix Lehrmann - I didn't see anything prog related - he is busy of course with live shows in Germany for many popular acts. Sarah Connor, Dieter Birr.

Zoltán Csörsz - His website said Zoltan`s debut solo album Escape from the Past will be released in 2018 - shows the cover art and everything. But I can't find this anywhere so I don't know if it really was. Anyone know anything? Other than that I think he is busy teaching and doing jazz gigs mostly with Jan Lundgren trio.

Erik Hammarström - with Änglagård and played on All Traps on Earth's debut album A Drop of Light - this is an Änglagård side project - I haven't heard this one yet.

Jaime Salazar - couldn't find any recordings or news.

Marcus Liliequist - nothing prog related but he is still active drumming in Sweden.

Live shows in 2018
    TFK shows (Roine, Hasse, Jonas, Zach Kamins, Mirkko DeMaio)
    Samla Mammas Manna - live shows with Hasse Bruniusson, Roine Stolt, Håkan Almkvist, and Rikard Sjöblom (these shows were in Sweden and sounded pretty cool - wish we could get a live disc from this formation)
    Kaipa DC did a couple of shows
    The Sea Within - one show
    Neal and Roine performed together when Neal's solo tour came to Stockholm - Played the Whirlwind.

<continued below>

<continued from above>

So what can we look forward to for 2019:

Roine has strongly hinted at more shows with this new Flower Kings lineup after the Canada ones already scheduled. And how to read this - he said in his own year end recap that ""Now it is time to plan for 2019 - a very exciting time. I can only guess - I'd imagine that both TFK music and a new 'The Sea Within' album will materialize" So the fact that he left off NEW when talking about Flower Kings music could just refer to more touring in 2019 with Zach and Mirkko - new album with this line up? - Please I hope so! - but remains to be seen.

Steve Hackett - There will be another DVD set hopefully this year - this time for the w/ orchestra shows and with Jonas on Bass - also new album Jan 25 At the Edge of Light - Jonas on bass (3 songs) - Nad? not sure I wish Steve would record a full album with Nad but until then we have this to look forward to...

Nad Sylvan - new album in May (probably Steve and Roine guesting) !

HFMC - New album and tour for sure this year. And also Hasse is to be guesting on - United Progressive Fraternity - Planetary Overload Part 1 - in February

Kaipa DC - more live shows and maybe a new album. Judging from hints dropped on FB by the guys it sure seems like a new album is in the works. Great news if so - I loved the last one.

Kaipa HL - Hans Lundin was working on a multi-disc box set of his 80's albums. Haven't seen any recent updates but I think it is still in the works.

The Sea Within - live show coming up on Cruise to the Edge. Other live shows seem tough to pull off because of various scheduling issues. Now that Brislin has joined Kansas it gets even tougher to get all of them together. I'd welcome a second album and Roine mentioned one for 2019. Will DG be aboard again? Perhaps the roles will reverse from the first album and Casey will handle most of the vocals and Daniel do 2-3 songs. Tough to read Daniels interest in this. His performance was fantastic on the first album, he really owns those songs. But he did no promotion or live shows and didn't even mention the album in any posts. If you only followed him and PoS you wouldn't even have known he had done this one.

Anderson / Stolt II - Work continues on it. In late 2018 Roine said it was about half done - but that seems to be what he has said for awhile now. He described it as a set of 10-12 songs that are part of a larger suite but also work as individual songs. Like Olias. Will it come out in 2019? We still haven't seen the re-release of IoK with all the extras. I suspect when we see that it will be our clue that the new one will follow soon.

Michael Stolt - new pop/rock album in Swedish Dödsdansen - one Christmas song was already released. "Jul runt vårt bord" with Roine and Lalle.

Lalle Larsson - shared some footage of already working again with Walle so maybe a quick turn around for another album.

Zach Kamins - new An Endless Sporadic?

Mirkko DeMaio - new albums from both of his other bands Mind Key and Hangarvain

The Tangent - hopefully some live shows to play the Proxy album. After a very prolific 2018 I suspect Andy will have something new next year too.

Jonas / Karmakanic - not sure - with Jonas playing with Hackett now maybe this project takes a backseat. There was some talk one time about a studio TangeKanic album. That could be something special if it really happens.

Pain of Salvation - Lately it has been 3 years between albums so that would be 2020. Why not a live album from In the Passing Light of Day tour until then?

Tomas Bodin - he isn't very active on social media so who knows if he will re-emerge. He stopped updating his official website years ago and now it appears to be off line entirely. When the TFK stuff happened he mentioned he was working on something "with pictures" so maybe a soundtrack? I've met him twice at Flower Kings shows and he really is a great guy. And such a talented composer. "I AM" might be the best TFK related side project so far which is saying a lot. Hopefully he will record and release music again this year.

Moon Safari - I've been predicting that Himlabacken Vol. 2 will be released for several years now. So this year I'll change and say it definitely won't come out this year! There were a few live shows in 2018 - when the new album does come out will Tomas Bodin guest on it?

Transatlantic - Neal will tour a new NMB album first part of the year and then Flying Colors is doing a new one. And I think there will be a new Sons of Apollo. So I can't see a new Transatlantic this year.

OK - that's what I got - what were your favorites of the year? For me it was The Sea Within and for live discs it was Hotelcantaffordit. Did I miss anything? What is your 2019 wish?

Cheers to all Flower Kings fans! We still believe in the light! Every precious little thing!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    whether a project is "TFK related" or not follows my own special formula that makes sense in my head.
    Thanks, I enjoyed reading your updates and predictions. There's a lot there to keep you busy! I appreciate you've got your own formula.

Steve Hackett - Wuthering Nights: Live in Birmingham
    Another in the live series of Hackett/Genesis live shows. Nick Beggs on bass here. I've enjoyed every one of these live cd/dvd/bd shows and this one is no different. Keep 'em coming Steve!
    If I may ask here, how DOES this fit into your formula? Because Roine toured with Hackett? Because Beggs...hmm, I don't even know. He gets around so I'm sure there's a reason, I just can't think of it! I know he's done shows with Hackett too, but maybe there's something more direct.

The Sea Within - The Sea Within (Roine, Jonas, Daniel, Tom Brislin, Marco)
    The only thing marring this album is that it has a really strange song sequencing order. The first disc isn't balanced well and then they tacked on 4 great songs as an afterthought extra disc when they could have easily fit on the main disc. So it sort of sounds like 3 separate EPs run together. But no big deal. I just re-sequenced the songs and made my own tracking order. Works much better now.
    Yes, the sequencing is really an issue on this album, along with the fact that the epic Broken Cord goes absolutely nowhere.
    This band looked really exciting on paper but the album didn't live up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. It got some good reviews upon release but I see many people voicing their disappointment now that it's time for end of the year lists.
    A second album would probably involve better chemistry and thus stronger songwriting, but Gildenlöw was the main attraction for me and it seems he will have little involvement if at all.
    Add to all that the fact that they couldn't really tour the album although it seems it was originally planned, and the whole thing looks like one great missed opportunity.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Super groups never wind up being as super as the name suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks, I enjoyed reading your updates and predictions. There's a lot there to keep you busy! I appreciate you've got your own formula.

If I may ask here, how DOES this fit into your formula? Because Roine toured with Hackett? Because Beggs...hmm, I don't even know. He gets around so I'm sure there's a reason, I just can't think of it! I know he's done shows with Hackett too, but maybe there's something more direct.
    This particular one is because I consider Nad as part of the Flower King family due to Agents of Mercy. But the connections don't stop there. Rob Townsend was on Sea Within and also Manifesto. Roine toured with Hackett "Total Experience" cd/bd and also guested on the Genesis Revisited discs, now Jonas is touring and recording with him. Hackett also guested at a Transatlantic show. I can't think of a Beggs connection but maybe there is one. But still lots of degrees of Roine Stolt here! Enough that it got moved to TFK wing of my music collection.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yes, the sequencing is really an issue on this album, along with the fact that the epic Broken Cord goes absolutely nowhere.
    This band looked really exciting on paper but the album didn't live up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. It got some good reviews upon release but I see many people voicing their disappointment now that it's time for end of the year lists.
    A second album would probably involve better chemistry and thus stronger songwriting, but Gildenlöw was the main attraction for me and it seems he will have little involvement if at all.
    Add to all that the fact that they couldn't really tour the album although it seems it was originally planned, and the whole thing looks like one great missed opportunity.
    I really loved the epic "Broken Cord" one of the many highlights for me. Although I think "Time" is probably the best one. I really liked the whole thing actually. Totally worked for me. If I may suggest to try the below sequencing. I think it was important to bring Casey in earlier so it isn't a wtf moment when it does switch to him. Also the original placement of The Void right after They Know my Name really drags things down too much at the beginning.

1. The Roaring Silence
    2. Goodbye
    3. The Void
    4. Ashes of Dawn
    5. They Know My Name
    6. An Eye for an Eye for an Eye
    7. Where Are You Going?
    8. Time
    9. Denise
    10. Sea Without
    11. Broken Cord
    12. The Hiding of the Truth

This way Casey can sort of serve as the host/guide introducing and closing out the main story that plays out as experienced by Daniel.

I thoroughly enjoyed the The Sea Within's performance at Night of Prog in July. Casey sang great, so it didn't bother me that Daniel wasn't there. Pete Trewavas was also great filling in for Jonas on bass. Marco's drum solo was a blast, if a bit long. It doesn't look like Daniel will be at the Cruise show either, but I'm still looking forward to seeing them again.

Since Bodin has been inactive I don't suppose we'll hear anything new from Barracuda Triangle anytime soon either. I just thought of them because I saw them on the Cruise in late 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Ya THINK???
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How do you really feel?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Well, except for Transatlantic, right? Just to stay on topic.

Jonas Reingold doesn't play bass on the new TFK Manifesto album? (shame on me, I don't have it yet, financial issues...)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I think he plays on one, possibly two tracks, iirc...

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I think he plays on one, possibly two tracks, iirc...
    made me curious as I wasnt really sure myself so I just checked the booklet for who plays bass on what:

Lost America (Roine and Jonas)
    Ze Pawns (Michael)
    High Road (Roine)
    Rio Grande (Roine)
    Next to a Hurricane (Roine)
    The Alchemist (Jonas)
    Baby Angels (Michael)
    Six Thirty Wake-Up (Michael)
    The Spell of Money (Jonas)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Well, except for Transatlantic, right? Just to stay on topic.
    Beat me to it.

I'd add Flying Colors, as well. And Asia, but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

I love your updates, SRS. They're a great way to keep up with what's going on.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Manifesto of an Alchemist is not actually a Flower Kings album, but a follow up to Roine Stolt's The Flower King solo album. Roine himself has said this. It's probably a distinction without a difference, but consider that Roine sings lead on every track (unlike every FK album since Stardust), plays bass on most tracks and wrote all the material himself (which, again, hasn't been true on a TFK album since Back in the World, even though he wrote the majority of the music on all of them).

There is added confusion of course, because the tour (which is not for this album, and features no music from it) was originally billed as "Roine Stolt and friends play the music of The Flower Kings", which also seemed to imply it wasn't actually The Flower Kings band. However, Roine has since presented this lineup as "The Flower Kings", so I guess they are now?

Anyway, I like Alchemist but I think it really does sound like leftover ideas. Which there is nothing wrong with, of course, as I always liked most of the bonus material over the years on TFK albums and TFK fan club CD's. There are 2 or 3 songs I love, but the rest doesn't do a lot for me.

Sea Within has grown on me over many listens, but I still think it's just "okay", except for Broken Chord which I love and think would have been a great TFK tune with Roine and Hasse sharing the vocals.

Couple of more news tidbits to share from comments Jonas made on FB:

The Fringe - looks like there will be a second album at some point. Material is written, just a matter of finding time for Jonas, NDV and Randy McStine to all get together to record.

New Project/band - Jonas will be in a new project with guitarist Sven Cirnski (Sven is the one who deputized for Luke Machin on one leg of the TangeKanic tour) This project will also have Felix Lehrmann on drums!

Karmakanic is not done - new album in works but no time table for recording or release - sounds like it is in early writing stages.

I noticed that the two Canadian shows are billed (on the site where you buy tickets) as "The Flower Kings". I assume this was just for simplicity's sake and there haven't been any official announcements of lineup changes? I'm not on Facebook anymore to keep up with the latest news...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I noticed that the two Canadian shows are billed (on the site where you buy tickets) as "The Flower Kings". I assume this was just for simplicity's sake and there haven't been any official announcements of lineup changes? I'm not on Facebook anymore to keep up with the latest news...
    Lineup for Canada shows is the same as last years (Roine, Hasse, Jonas, Zach Kamins, MirkKo De Maio) Some logos I've seen for advertisements had the "Revisited" tag at the bottom of it. Seems they have drop the clunky "Roine Stolt and friends plays The Flower Kings Revisited". Hopefully they just go with The Flower Kings going forward. Makes sense especially if they want to do a new album. Bring Zach and Mirkko in fully.
    Last edited by SRS; 02-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Lineup for Canada shows is the same as last years (Roine, Hasse, Jonas, Zach Kamins, MirkKo De Maio) Some logos I've seen for advertisements had the "Revisited" tag at the bottom of it. Seems they have drop the clunky "Roine Stolt and friends plays The Flower Kings Revisited". Hopefully they just go with The Flower Kings going forward. Makes sense especially if they want to do a new album. Bring Zach and Mirkko in fully.
    And I will get the golden chance to clarify these questions on Thursday night when I will be attending my very first Flower Kings concert in Montreal or FK & Friends as Roine wishes to call it. By looking at the announced lineup, it has all the components of a true Flower Kings show. It was announced on Inside out records that Spock's Beard would open but that seems doubtful.

These seem like one-off shows since there will only be one show in Montreal and one more in Quebec city, not much of a tour but I am sure thrilled to be there to listen to whatever surprises the Flower Kings may have in store.

Observing your FK Familiy tree, I would add: The Mute Gods, Levin-Minnemann-Rudess and In Continuum :-)
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

I'm not really sure what makes the most "sense" here since I'm not really sure what the deal is with the relationship between the various TFK members. Maybe another album is still possible and would involve previous members and not the new guys. Whatever happens I'd be curious to hear the result of any recordings.

For the live shows I'm sure I will be happy enough with the new guys, but it won't really be quite the same as it would have been with previous members...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    It was announced on Inside out records that Spock's Beard would open but that seems doubtful.
    Inside Out removed the reference to SB opening. It was a cut/paste error from their european dates

Would love to hear some reviews of these Canadian shows...

Yeah, would be interested to hear how these Canada shows were, maybe set lists?

The show last night in Montreal was great. Solid set and everyone seemed in fine form. I believe it may be the same set they were doing a few months ago but I haven't had time to check.

This is last night's setlist:

Last Minute On Earth
    What If God Is Alone
    There Is More To This World
    The Truth Will Set You Free (with bass solo)
    The Flower King
    My Cosmic Lover
    Eyes Of The World
    Stardust We Are

Encore:

Life In Motion (excerpt from the ending)
    I Am The Sun

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. I was enjoying several whiskeys, lol. The set was approximately 2 hours long.

Leaving soon to see the QC show...
    <sig out of order>