Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pineapple Thief - Dissolution

Pineapple Thief - Dissolution

Still waiting for mine to come from Burning Shed. Anyone received theirs and listen to post a review???

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It's like a heavier version of Your Wilderness. The drums and arrangements are awesome. Really good production.

I've only listened to my vinyl from Amazon once but I'll listen again today for sure.

Two listens in, and I’m impressed.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Only half a listen so far. Spent far too long trying to rip the audio from the Blu-ray so to be able to listen on the move.

I've listened all the way through twice now and my first impression is, right out of the gate, I love it. Making Gavin Harrison a full member of the band was an excellent move. He brings an added depth to the music that I really like. That dude is one of the modern greats. I've always liked this band and have enjoyed their evolution, and this current phase is no exception. No doubt it'll be in my top ten of the year.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I've listened to previous albums and it just hasn't clicked for me. This one does for some reason. The arrangements and production are excellent - the sound is very full. The songwriting is also superb.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Only half a listen so far. Spent far too long trying to rip the audio from the Blu-ray so to be able to listen on the move.
    How do you rip the audio from a Blu ray, i'm sorry I should know this, but, i don't

Any special edition CDs to be on the lookout for?

Edit: I found this: https://burningshed.com/store/thepin...ategory_id=245

And Gavin fans will like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n7scYYsLdcM

Lengthy interview with Bruce: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...h-bruce-soord/
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 09-02-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've listened to previous albums and it just hasn't clicked for me. This one does for some reason. The arrangements and production are excellent - the sound is very full. The songwriting is also superb.
    Harrison is credited as a songwriter on nearly every song. I think it’s the first Thief album where Soord is not the sole writer.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Harrison is credited as a songwriter on nearly every song. I think it’s the first Thief album where Soord is not the sole writer.
    I wonder what he brought to the process compared with older Pineapple Thief material. I tend to like melancholy music, but I've found Soord's music triggers feelings of depression instead. This album does not do that. It's more dynamic.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    From the interview link I posted: And Gavin was there from day one and we got on really well as a creative sort of duo. Instead of me writing loads of songs, I would have ideas. I’d send them to Gavin and he’d send them back. He’d record at his studio, send me drum ideas which would send me off in different directions, and it just created this album that I never thought that I could ever create. It was a true collaborative effort. So I’m really excited and we spent so long, it was six months everyday talking, working on it, living with it 24/7 until it was perfect. I mean that was like being in the studio for six months. So, I’m really, really proud of it.

No, I think Gavin’s input especially went further than just arrangement and he got dual songwriting credits on the album. Obviously I still come up with the idea, the themes and the lyrics and the melodies, but Gavin would then take them and he would chop them around and he would say, “Hey Bruce, now I like that, but it’s getting…I’m getting a bit bored here. Let’s do this. How about taking it this direction?” And he would jam out some rhythmic ideas and cut and paste some of my melodic ideas. And then I’d go, “Oh wow, that’s great, yeah.”

I don't know... I have only listened this so far once but to me Dissolution seem almost identical to the last album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't know... I have only listened this so far once but to me Dissolution seem almost identical to the last album.
    Interesting. The last album I thought was "meh". I think this record is way better compositionally than the last.

Anybody know where to get the expanded package with the bonus CD? I see it at Burning Shed, but not anywhere in the U.S. Is it exclusive?

Another fine effort from Soord. All his records are good.
    (Waiting for the masterpiece!!!)
    The Prog Corner

I read DAVID TORN has a fine solo in one of the songs! Wow. Must come from Harrison who worked with him and Mick Karn.

For me it's a "meh...", unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    For me it's a "meh...", unimpressed.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Anybody know where to get the expanded package with the bonus CD? I see it at Burning Shed, but not anywhere in the U.S. Is it exclusive?
    Don't see anywhere apart from the UK and Germany. Maybe Greg Walker wil have it later...(http://synphonicmusic.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    Don't see anywhere apart from the UK and Germany. Maybe Greg Walker wil have it later...(http://synphonicmusic.com/)
    Thanks. I thought about Greg also, but hadn't reached out to him yet.

I got this yesterday, they didn't have a bonus edition.

Listened to it once, bummed that it pretty much sounds like Your Wilderness. I was expecting a little more rawk, I think- seems to me it doesn't really kick in until track 5, and by then, the disc is halfway over.

It's 44 minutes long. Why didn't they just put the bonus tracks on there?? Grumble grumble.

I think it's definitely heavier than Your Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I think it's definitely heavier than Your Wilderness.
    I'm going to listen again, but really gonna crank it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'm going to listen again, but really gonna crank it.
    I too want some rock from this band, but it hasn't come. Last album of theirs that I liked was Someone Here Is Missing. All The Wars was disappointing to me, same with Your Wilderness.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Count me in as a fan of this album. I have found it rather infectious after a couple spins. Also, at times, both the music and, in particular, the vocals remind me of Riverside's "Love, Fear and the Time Machine", another disc I really like.