Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Food Thread

Smoked ham from Herb Brittner's Smokehouse and Radiator Shop. (I kid you not.)

Herb's walls are covered with national and international awards for his smoked meats. Best jerky on Earth.

With that, home made Potatoes Au-Gratin (using gruyere, extra-sharp NY cheddar and maybe a touch of Herb's smoked gouda). Probably broccoli. The wife is a vegetarian, so she'll probably have a soy thing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I have a turkey breast brining, waiting to be smoked tomorrow. I'll also be making moinks (meatballs wrapped in bacon, smoked, and then tossed with BBQ sauce - courtesy of Steve (Pindral Progger) - remember him?). We'll also be having ham, kielbasa and pierogies. Yes, we're Polish.
    I knew it! Just kidding - that all sounds great!

I should also add that a fruitcake is being delivered tomorrow. We've ordered one each year from the same place for 20 years now (!). It's a family business in North Carolina - southernsupreme.com Great fruitcake! Mostly nuts, appropriately.

I usually make popovers Christmas morning, but since my wife is making Yorkshire pudding on Christmas, I'll make the popovers for New Year's Day breakfast.

And we've got some Bailey's Irish Cream on tap for tomorrow night. We're Britophiles, Irophiles, Scotophiles, etc. Ok, time to watch some Blackadder...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Tomorrow night (Christmas eve) will be our usual spread of assorted cheese, crackers, oysters, puff pastries, shrimp, and way too much wine and chocolate. My wife will be preparing her usual Christmas morning breakfast of eggs Benedict with shredded ham on carrot muffins. It's insanely and sinfully rich. She never finishes hers. All the more for me. I'll be handling Christmas dinner this year, which will be fairly conventional stuff, and we finish things off with our homemade Toblerone peanut butter cheesecake. Oh, and more wine, and bubbly. It's kinda crazy how all-out we go. But we both love Christmas.

It's all broccoli and water come January.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Chritmas eve dinner for the last couple of years has been held at local Asian restaurants.
    This year should be no exception. Hong Kong style I think.
    Eggs Benedict and fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast and roast beast and stuff for dinner
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tomorrow night (Christmas eve) will be our usual spread of assorted cheese, crackers, oysters, puff pastries, shrimp, and way too much wine and chocolate. My wife will be preparing her usual Christmas morning breakfast of eggs Benedict with shredded ham on carrot muffins. It's insanely and sinfully rich. She never finishes hers. All the more for me. I'll be handling Christmas dinner this year, which will be fairly conventional stuff, and we finish things off with our homemade Toblerone peanut butter cheesecake. Oh, and more wine, and bubbly. It's kinda crazy how all-out we go. But we both love Christmas.

> I'll be handling Christmas dinner this year, which will be fairly conventional stuff

What? That's supposed to satisfy our curiosity? It could be hot dogs or Campbell's soup! Everything's conventional after shredded ham on carrot muffins. I might have to try that, though I can't imagine... Is the eggs Benedict on there too?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > I'll be handling Christmas dinner this year, which will be fairly conventional stuff

What? That's supposed to satisfy our curiosity? It could be hot dogs or Campbell's soup! Everything's conventional after shredded ham on carrot muffins. I might have to try that, though I can't imagine... Is the eggs Benedict on there too?
    Yep, the eggs, the hollandaise, the ham... on carrot muffins that we try and pick up on the 24th so they are as fresh as possible. It's an incredibly filling breakfast, but works damn well for the hangover that we always have after our Christmas eve festivities.

As for dinner, I bought a turkey breast stuffed with sausage, truffle and provolone, and I'll be making stuffing and gravy to go with it, as well as trying a first-time recipe for "Christmas salad" (bacon, feta, beets, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries) and a side dish of heirloom carrots (small, but whole) tossed in a ginger, marmalade and orange juice reduction. Pretty excited about all of this!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I usually make popovers Christmas morning, but since my wife is making Yorkshire pudding on Christmas, I'll make the popovers for New Year's Day breakfast.
    Oooh....that all sounds good, too.

Haha! Right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Haha! Right?
    ...and at this rate, maybe February as well.

I have a turkey breast brining, waiting to be smoked tomorrow)
    But can you get high smoking turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'll get back to you on that, Vic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'll get back to you on that, Vic.
    I'd guess you can get high eating meatballs wrapped in bacon.

Homemade meatballs, Hot Italian sausage, beef, cooked all day in homemade sauce and wine....with this curly spaghetti type pasta....a nice Tuscan red wine.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Homemade meatballs, Hot Italian sausage, beef, cooked all day in homemade sauce and wine....with this curly spaghetti type pasta....a nice Tuscan red wine.
    Is all the meat cooked together in the same pot? My wife used to make a great dish of Italian hot and sweet sausages and peppers and onions cooked in a great red wine tomato sauce. It's been a while though, have to request that one soon!

Man, that sounds really fantastic.

Is all the meat cooked together in the same pot? My wife used to make a great dish of Italian hot and sweet sausages and peppers and onions cooked in a great red wine tomato sauce. It's been a while though, have to request that one soon!
    Man, that sounds really fantastic.
    Yes, except I baked the meatballs and added them afterwards. Oh man, the smell of the house is incredible! Have to wait for my wife to get home later.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Having a wee sip of Port now, which is something I've rarely had but enjoy.

Cheers, everyone!

I am in a bar with a female friend. And we are toasted.

I am in a bar with a female friend. And we are toasted.
    I like where this is going!

Better ask Progeezer that one.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I should also add that a fruitcake is being delivered tomorrow. We've ordered one each year from the same place for 20 years now (!).
    You building a retaining wall or something.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

You guys ever had traditional Dresden Stollen? Incredible

Our dinner will be an early one. Later, it's over to the neighbors for a huge bonfire, wine and mountain pies.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

You guys ever had traditional Dresden Stollen? Incredible
    I looked it up, and I have in fact had that! Or something very, very similar anyway. Up here there is a traditional European grocery store called Denningers where you can get a lot of German, Swiss, Austrian, etc. delicacies and traditional baked goods. I absolutely love going there although it's expensive. Weisswurst, meat salad, sweets... really appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Our dinner will be an early one. Later, it's over to the neighbors for a huge bonfire, wine and mountain pies.
    I also had to look up mountain pies but they look delicious. Similar to Monte Cristo sandwiches, but with lots of different flavour combos? Yum.

Currently on my third Bailey's coffee while my wife is preparing that insane Benedict breakfast, and it's making me sweat. On the table in front of me is an enormous tin of British licorice allsorts. I don't think I'm ever getting back down to my wedding weight again.

I also had to look up mountain pies but they look delicious. Similar to Monte Cristo sandwiches, but with lots of different flavour combos? Yum.
    Yep. We'll probably mostly do the pizza variety.