Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Genesis - Podcast

Tabletop Genesis - Podcast

Hello all!

Some friends of mine and I have started a podcast focusing on the music of Genesis, and associated solo careers. As we record this while sitting around a table, we have decided to creatively call this podcast... Tabletop Genesis!

You can find the podcast at http://tabletopgenesis.com/, and we're also on I-Tunes. We air on the Progzilla radio network out of the UK also.

Our first episode focused on the album Abacab, and this weekend, we're recording episodes for Nursery Cryme and Genesis/Shapes/Mama....

Give it a listen, and let us know what you think. Our facebook page is at www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis, and we have a twitter handle at @genesistabletop.

Thanks!
    Mike

Listening to the podcast now. Thanks.

Glad to hear you're listening. We recorded this weekend for our Episodes #2 and #3, so we'll be releasing them on a one a month schedule.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Suspended
    Question: "A Genesis and solo career focused podcast" - will you just be looking at the solo careers of the "classic" lineup, or will you be including for example Anthony Phillips?

Our plan is to be as broad as possible, so yes, Ant's career is part of that. As is Ray Wilson's, and who knows, we may even choose to be inclusive of musicians who have worked with the band members in different ways. A Tony Levin-centric episode? Perhaps a possibility. We're still in early stages, but we have a lot of ideas, and lots of possibilities.

Hope you like the show. We recorded our Nursery Cryme and Genesis/Shapes/Mama episodes this weekend, and have our plans for two more episodes set, including our first non-album centric episode.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Fish!

Sounds good, there should be plenty to cover.

These whipper-snappers came to the party way too late. ABACAB? Are you serious? That's your starting point?

Listening now...

You guys make some good observations. While I don't automatically think of Abacab as Genesis's most prog album, it definitely was ear-catching, and had something unique for the time it was released. So it's a progression for Genesis. This came out at a time where I had a LOT of time to listen carefully to music (and the Abacab tour is the only time I saw Genesis) so I remember well when it was released.

Great idea---as a long time fan with lot;s of knowledge of the band---it's nice to hear this sort of thing---also always liked Abacab ---many great songs---not a perfect album but a standout.

Also nice to hear it;s taking place near me in Jersey City --(I assume)----not too far from NYC ---

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    These whipper-snappers came to the party way too late. ABACAB? Are you serious? That's your starting point?
    I you listened to the podcast or read the blurb, you'll find that it's not intended to be a timeline history of Genesis from start to finish. Next episode for example they are talking about Nursery Cryme.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-29-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Great idea---as a long time fan with lot;s of knowledge of the band---it's nice to hear this sort of thing---also always liked Abacab ---many great songs---not a perfect album but a standout.

Also nice to hear it;s taking place near me in Jersey City --(I assume)----not too far from NYC ---
    We're generally recording in Philly, where two of the group live. We may record up here in JC at some point, but I think the ambient noise level is quieter where we record in Philly. Although, in our second episode on Nursery Cryme, you may here Dora the dog's claws walking along the floor at some point!

We started with Abacab because it felt like a good first "test" episode to do, and we didn't want to do a strict chronological run through of the albums, as we thought that would be fairly boring. However, as the episodes accumulate, we also knew that people could listen to them in any order they chose.

Episode #3 will be on Genesis/Mama/Shapes, and #4 will be on Wind & Wuthering. Then, we may have a guest in for #5. Our main goal is to have some good discussion of the albums/music, in a fun format.

It's been interesting so far, and we plan to keep this up for as long as we can, exploring the solo careers, theme episodes, and guest spots...

Thanks for all your interest. This is actually getting more positive feedback than I expected so early in our run, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Mike

hey this is a pretty cool podcast!

This along with the Yes Music Podcast I stumbled upon, have been keeping me busy at work this week. It kind of makes me wonder how many other roundtable band (prog or otherwise) podcasts may be out there (I know of a Monkees one, but my Monkees fanatic fiancee doesn't care all that much for it).

I have to admit, I'm curious at some point if Kevin Gilbert's love of the Gabriel-Genesis will come up.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    hey this is a pretty cool podcast!

This along with the Yes Music Podcast I stumbled upon, have been keeping me busy at work this week. It kind of makes me wonder how many other roundtable band (prog or otherwise) podcasts may be out there (I know of a Monkees one, but my Monkees fanatic fiancee doesn't care all that much for it).

I have to admit, I'm curious at some point if Kevin Gilbert's love of the Gabriel-Genesis will come up.
    Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that folks are enjoying this.

We're developing lists of "theme" episodes, or episodes not strictly tied to one album. Talking about artists influenced by Genesis could be an interesting idea that we've thought of, and Gilbert would of course be one of those artists to discuss, should we do a show like that.

Again, thanks for listening, we really appreciate it.

Mike

Hey all,

FYI, our latest podcast, on Invisible Touch, is now live on I-Tunes and our website, tabletopgenesis.com.

We also have Wind & Wuthering/Seconds Out available, so check out the episodes, if you are so inclined...

Thanks,
    Mike

thanks for the bump!

I still have been hooked on your show!

And actually I recently discovered another podcast, that is kind of similar, but just about prog known as "The Prog Squad" which 1 of the regulars, David Elliott, mentioned Simon Godfrey and his band I recall. I imagine others around here know that one as well.

If it were possible, it might be cool to do a crossover episode if The Prog Squad featured Genesis, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, we do appreciate it. I'll have to check out that other podcast you mention.

Obviously, at some point, we're going to run out of albums to feature, so I think we'll stay focused on Genesis, but do more "theme" episodes, so who knows what we'll morph into over time.

THanks!
    Mike

Suspended
    Nothing seems to have happened with Tabletop Genesis since September. Has it been abandoned?

No. Their Facebook page says they recently got together and recorded two shows: one discussing Foxtrot, and the other Peter Gabriel's third album. It seems you & I both are itching to hear more! I think I probably check the site twice a day. Sad, I know, but I'm pretty much a sucker for all things Genesis, and their podcast is very engaging. I'd soooo love to be a part of that discussion team!

This ought to be the cover of the next Genesis boxset. Nice one, Team Tabletop!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

they uploaded a pic with Steve Hackett the other day.

I'm sure most on here will try to listen to only the prog albums by the band(ie 1977 and earlier)but not me. I'm one of those rare prog fans who likes it all.

Suspended
    Heh.

The Charterhouse poster made me chuckle too. Considering that some of them loathed their time at Charterhouse, I DON'T think that's a possibility for the next album cover,

Hey all! Sorry for not posting here for a bit of time, but real life sometimes gets in the way... The gap in podcast posting was not our intention, we really do want to have one episode per month.

Our next episode, featuring our first foray into solo album analysis, is for PG3/Melt/The One With Biko. Next, probably out in January, will be our episode on Foxtrot. February, we'll have a "special" episode out, which we'll tease more closer to the time of release.

The "Straight Outta Charterhouse" item was a creation of Tom Roche's. He's really good at that type of stuff. Me, I just blather on during the shows.

Bob and Koreabruce, thanks for wanting new episodes, and enjoying the ones we've posted.

Funny/sad story: When we recorded our Invisible Touch/PG3 shows, we finished with PG3, Simon was saving the files, and BAM, the computer eats it all. He did his best to recover the lost files, but it was unsalvagable. But, the episode on PG3 we re-recorded, I think is one of our best. We got a very good rhythm of talking about the individual tracks, but also talking about bigger picture items about the album. Eli was a bit under the weather for it, so she's not as chatty, but that will be different on future episodes...

Digital Man, we do cover all eras of the band, because, generally, we're all eras fans (although Simon's direct about his feelings about IT on that podcast), but we know not all episodes will appeal to everyone. Heck, we're probably going to wrap all of the Mike and the Mechanics albums into one podcast! But, I think we find something interesting to talk about for all the albums.

In January, we'll be recording two episodes, our "special" episode, and one on ATTWT. We've talked about doing Face Value too, but I can't recall if we're going to do that in January, or whenever we get together after that.

Above all, THANK YOU all for listening, we're glad you're getting enjoyment out of this. We've been talking about having people send us little MP3 clips of "questions for the Tabletop" or something like that, so if some of you want to be part of the conversation, or at least asking us questions to respond to, you might have your day in the sun.

I'll try to check in here a bit more often, to keep people posted on what's up. Our Facebook page is a good location for that also, it's probably where we update the most.

If you have any questions about how we do this, or why we do this, feel free to post them here, and I'll be happy to reply.

Thanks!
    Mike (the "host" of Tabletop Genesis)

Suspended
    Had me worried there for a moment, talking about "being direct about feelings for IT". I was thinking you meant It, a song about which I will brook no criticism.

Since you are featuring some stuff from the members' solo albums, I hope that you'll at some stage do that for Tony, whose solo albums could probably occupy several episodes if you wished.