Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Other than the "system and compressed memory" function spiking my CPU, it's a whole lot better than 8. I suspect that my Dell desktop just doesn't have the mojo to handle those spikes and I've found no effective way to disable that function.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So for those who've had this installed for a while, what's your verdict?
    I have about 10 PC's now with W10 and I am not overwhelmed. I found it easier than w8 to navigate the apps (programs that is), perhaps slightly faster than w8, but I'm not a fan.

* The majority works flawless, but some have issues - like the startmenu. On one PC, if you touch it you have to log off and restart, on another it just doesnt respond at all. There are workarounds in the daily work, but many updates etc. have not fixed it.

* I cant myself decide when I want the PC to update - it just does it either when I close down or start up, sometimes it takes long time - thats not practical on a portable, if you are on your way home...you have to wait untill it has finished.
    There should be an option, so I could do this when I'm in the mood - perhaps some other day.

But if you dont upgrade to w10 (now free for w8 and w7) you will in a few years loose the updates for your w7 or w8 system, have to pay for w10 or whatever its called at that time, OR choose a different OS. There are lots of great free Linux clones out there - like Ubuntu.

I think buying a machine with 10 on it works a lot better than upgrading,it seems, though I know a lot of folks need or want to upgrade. I love the OS. No issues. Boot time is crazy fast. Works.

So for those who've had this installed for a while, what's your verdict?
    Better than 8, worse than 7.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Yesterday 30.3.16: All of Microsoft’s Build announcements in 15 minutes

Ubuntu on Windows 10 : https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/...783.1459419027

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Better than 8, worse than 7.
    That's my conundrum. I have 7 and it works great. Do I upgrade to 10 because MS support for 7 will end, or do I just stay the course? I doubt that there's a good answer for someone like me who is OK on computers, but definitely not a whiz. Far from it.

Hold old is your PC?

If you can keep it for 4-5 years more and you are just using it for surfing, emailing, listening, then dont.

If its even older, and old-age problems, speed, HD problems, Driveproblems, less than 4 GB RAM, then its a draw - you will get W10 on your next anyway.

If its rather new, and you use it for lots of newer apps/programs, plugins, explore stuff, then you should 'upgrade' because W7 wil become obsolete. The companies that makes apps /programmes will not support W7 in a couple of years.

But who am I - I have W10 at my job, on my laptop, and it works great on that - but my main PC at home still has XP, is 9 years old and works fine for most ordinary purposes.
    But the Google browser, the Iexplorer-browser and other newer stuff wont work with XP anymore, some plugins cant even be installed - like Microsoft Silverlight, so in a while I will give up - and buy a new stationary

And again - try Ubuntu - its a great OS, free, fast, small, more secure (because its still rare).

I'm guessing around 5 years old. It's an HP and came with Windows 7 installed. Don't have any problems with it currently, and have yet to expand RAM (like I did on the previous PC,) yet no memory issues.

Is Ubuntu easy to install?

Is Ubuntu easy to install?
    Yes (IMO I should probably add)
    You can even burn it on a DVD and run it from the Disk-Drive or a USB (so you dont install it) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...re-you-install
    You can install it 'side by side' with windows so you have both OS systems on your PC - Ubuntu can read all your files (docs, music, txt, pictures etc) and in your windows partition but not use the apps/programmes there.
    Some of the open source programmes I use on Windows. like Firefox, Thunderbird email, Openoffice, google browser, a.o. is also made for Ubuntu, and looks exactly as on Windows.
    You can install about 2000 free as in absolutely free programmes on Ubuntu - just a few clicks away.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    http://www.ubuntu.com/search?q=how+to+install+ubuntu

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    You can even burn it on a DVD and run it from the Disk-Drive or a USB (so you dont install it) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...re-you-install
    You can install it 'side by side' with windows so you have both OS systems on your PC - Ubuntu can read all your files (docs, music, txt, pictures etc) and in your windows partition but not use the apps/programmes there.
    Some of the open source programmes I use on Windows. like Firefox, Thunderbird email, Openoffice, google browser, a.o. is also made for Ubuntu, and looks exactly as on Windows.
    You can install about 2000 free as in absolutely free programmes on Ubuntu - just a few clicks away.

Great information, I'm going to look into this. Many thanks!

Bill

That's my conundrum. I have 7 and it works great. Do I upgrade to 10 because MS support for 7 will end, or do I just stay the course? I doubt that there's a good answer for someone like me who is OK on computers, but definitely not a whiz. Far from it.
    Above all you have to search if there exist drivers for your hardware. For example if you own a laptop, you get a high percentage of models that are not compatible, even if they pass the online Windows 10 compatibility check. So, in order to avoid problems, I advice to check with the manifacturer before proceeding (they publish lists of non compatible models).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have a w7 machine and plan to stick with 7 till the end. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I've done the Linux-on-a-disc thing before. It's a great way to try out Linux and see how you like it before committing to a full install. From what I've seen, Linux is a great way to give an older computer a longer life as an Internet and email machine.
    <sig out of order>

I used to have all three of our home computers networked to one printer. Two of them still hooked up to the printer just fine after upgrading to 10 but my wife's desktop refuses to. I DLed new drivers but nothing takes. I don't know whether to blame Brother or Microsuck.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Given that I own a older Brother MFC, this news is less than inspiring to me. I am becoming resolved to living with Windows 7 on our three Wintel machines for as long as we can hold off, then moving elsewhere - Android or Linux perhaps.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

* I cant myself decide when I want the PC to update - it just does it either when I close down or start up, sometimes it takes long time - thats not practical on a portable, if you are on your way home...you have to wait untill it has finished.
    There should be an option, so I could do this when I'm in the mood - perhaps some other day.
    I hate this “scheduled update” business but fortunately there is a cure. Just go into Settings/Updates and Security and if you have a scheduled update, just knock the date forward far enough in the future that it won’t accidentally restart when you’re in the middle of something. Holding down SHIFT while shutting down will force a proper shutdown and make it update as you power down, which is the action I want. You can do that at your leisure if you’ve followed my previous instructions.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for the above tip! I hate Windows 10 - I basically went from 7 to 10 and finding it a hard adjustment.

I’m actually just setting up a new, cheap laptop with Windows 10, so want to minimize the amount of shit I have to put up with.

You know that grid of apps that you sometimes see on the desktop? I hate it, it’s meaningless to me. Is there a way to prevent it from ever showing up, and having a more “classic” Windows 7 type Start menu? The slider on the Windows 10 Start menu is way to thin, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Just found this article, going to try all these things.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

First things first though, need to correct the stupid defaults so I can see file extensions and hidden files!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-23-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    First things first though, need to correct the stupid defaults so I can see file extensions and hidden files!
    I'd like to smack whoever came up with that "feature".

"Hi Granny,
    Take a look at Pic_of_GrandKids_Thats_Totally_Not_a_Virus.jpg.exe"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    And it's been a default forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'd like to smack whoever came up with that "feature".
    I've been convinced that Windows developers could not possibly be Windows users.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Gah, whilst W10 is alright, I FAR prefer 7 - for one thing, W7 never seemed to be trapped in a permanent cycle of updates - and this after I went into the Settings menu and turned off as many of the auto-update settings off as I could find. Why the f**k does W10 need to do so many updates so often????

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Gah, whilst W10 is alright, I FAR prefer 7 - for one thing, W7 never seemed to be trapped in a permanent cycle of updates - and this after I went into the Settings menu and turned off as many of the auto-update settings off as I could find. Why the f**k does W10 need to do so many updates so often????
    Other than the constant cat & mouse security scramble, just being able to track usage, add features for things you may never use ( VR, Xbox, Cortana, etc etc )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

http://www.classicshell.net/

Try this. I use it on my Win 8 OS and it makes my life easier.

I hate Win 8 never mind Win 10.

DtB