Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Made my day. Aren't your Phillies going after one or two more big ones?
    Oh, they're just getting started (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Phillie fan has had enough of Santana already?

I was okay with him, but he was blocking Rhys Hoskins from first base, which is where he belongs. He was statistically the worst outfielder in the majors last year. The fanbase largely hated Santana, though. This fan base does not at all understand "new baseball," with analytics, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ If you need a walk, he can getcha that.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ If you need a walk, he can getcha that.
    Right. And that was the problem. Fans here would sneer when you would talk about his on-base percentage. Considering that the Phillies were one of the last teams to embrace analytics, and then going to someone like Gabe Kapler, who is a little too analytics-driven, IMO, was torture for many fans. Meanwhile, the Cubs, Astros and Red Sox just keep winning and winning.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Corbin to the Nats! That came out of left field. Of course this comes with immediate speculation that they won't be able to sign Bryce now.

It also means the pitching dominoes could fall fast. Eovaldi, Happ, and Keuchel in the next week or so? The winter meetings are next week, so typically there are FA moves right before or after.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Right. And that was the problem. Fans here would sneer when you would talk about his on-base percentage. Considering that the Phillies were one of the last teams to embrace analytics, and then going to someone like Gabe Kapler, who is a little too analytics-driven, IMO, was torture for many fans. Meanwhile, the Cubs, Astros and Red Sox just keep winning and winning.
    Do you think analytics drove the Segura trade? I thought that was a bad return for Seattle, and an opportune way for the Phils to retool their infield without much disruption.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-05-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Corbin to the Nats! That came out of left field.
    Apparently, they were the only ones willing to go for six years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Corbin to the Nats! That came out of left field. Of course this comes with immediate speculation that they won't be able to sign Bryce now.

It also means the pitching dominoes could fall fast. Eovaldi, Happ, and Keuchel in the next week or so? The winter meetings are next week, so typically there are FA moves right before or after.
    I wanted Corbin, but not at that price/term. Good luck.

Do you think analytics drove the Segura trade? I thought that was a bad return for Seattle, and an opportune way for the Phils to retool their infield without much disruption.
    I think Segura is just an upgrade in every way. Right now, it looks like the Phillies fleeced Seattle.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seattle are cleaning house.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

GOLDSCHMIDT!!! Cards finally make a significant move, biggest one in a decade since trading for Matt Holliday. I have been advocating to get him for 4-5 years. Perfect and much needed fit for St Louis. Best of all, didn't have to give up their best frontline prospects to get him, Carson Kelly and Weaver I can live with. Didn't give up Flaherty or Hudson or Reyes.
    Now they need to open up the checkbook and sign him for the long haul. This is a serious move.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Seattle are cleaning house.
    I believe I read somewhere that Seattle has the longest post season drought of any team.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    GOLDSCHMIDT!!! Cards finally make a significant move, biggest one in a decade since trading for Matt Holliday. I have been advocating to get him for 4-5 years. Perfect and much needed fit for St Louis. Best of all, didn't have to give up their best frontline prospects to get him, Carson Kelly and Weaver I can live with. Didn't give up Flaherty or Hudson or Reyes.
    Now they need to open up the checkbook and sign him for the long haul. This is a serious move.
    It will be interesting to see how he does with another team. Like Joey Votto, he's been remarkably consistent (even though he slumped a bit last season, relatively speaking), but always with one team. But Goldy doesn't have the pedigree of a first or 2nd round pick to hang his laurels on. In the end I think he will do just fine, and the Cards got themselves an impact bat.

^^^
    I don't know if his draft history matters too much, heck Pujols was a 13th rounder. 4 top 6 MVP finishes (3 top 3). He seems to have a good work ethic and doesn't carry the personality baggage of a Machado/Harper. Playing more games in the hitter friendly parks of the NL Central will help as opposed to more pitcher friendly parks like SF, LA, SD. He's a Gold Glover so the defense immediately improves, and Carp moves back to 3B. I've always felt he'd be a good fit here, so very optimistic this will work out.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-06-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Goldy could be the Cards Yelich, damnit!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Red Sox just signed Evaldi to a four-year deal worth about $67MM.

Looks like Kimbrel will be gone after that expenditure. He's looking for a six-year deal. Good luck with that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Looks like Kimbrel will be gone after that expenditure. He's looking for a six-year deal. Good luck with that.
    Eovaldi was money in the play-offs.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Eovaldi was money in the play-offs.
    Not much so the rest of the season. I do think he has a lot of talent. And he's still young. If he can hold up, it's a good deal for Boston. I was hoping the Yankees would have landed him. But I think that might have been too much money. Then again, since Corbin signed with the Nats...

All things considered, I think that's a good deal for the Sox and probably indicates the departure of not only Kimbrel but also Porcello after this season. In the event that Sale has no long term effects from his ailments, the money will go there next year.

With Corbin and Eovaldi gone and the Goldy move, one has to wonder if Grienke will be traded during the Winter Meetings next week. It also heats up the stove for Keuchel, Happ, and Morton.

Bumgardner is apparently on the market, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Bumgardner is apparently on the market, too.
    He still keeps a home here in NC. Not too far from the ATL . . .
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Shit. Just heard about what the D-backs got back for Goldschmidt. I get that he’s 31, he’s in a walk year and that Arizona does not think they’ll contend, but it seems like they could’ve gotten more for him.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Shit. Just heard about what the D-backs got back for Goldschmidt. I get that he’s 31, he’s in a walk year and that Arizona does not think they’ll contend, but it seems like they could’ve gotten more for him.
    Goldschmidt happens.
    I had posted it above. We were very happy with it around here. I applaud them for landing a stud like that without giving up Jack Flaherty or Dakota Hudson, whom I'm sure Ariz probably asked for. Of course, the trade is only worthwhile if the end result is more than a 1 year rental.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-06-2018 at 08:39 PM.

The reactions to the Eovaldi signing are interesting.

By far the majority of Red Sox fans are delighted. By contrast, Yankees fans - despite their team's explicit need for starting pitching - are pleased he's not come back to them.

The thing that struck me, reading these reactions, is that Yankees fans predominantly cited statistical reasons for their position, whereas Boston fans have tended to talk more in terms of their reactions to watching his performances, especially in the postseason.

Obviously, there are risks with Eovaldi, particularly in regards to his health. But it was striking just how much his team-mates, & the Boston management, went out of their way to talk about his character as well as his skill set.

I come from a professional discipline which has succumbed to quantitative analysis, very much to its overall detriment. I therefore harbour a residual suspicion towards the predominance of "analytics". One way or another, I think that it will be fascinating to see how this signing pans out over the next couple of years, partly as a kind of test case for these different perspectives.

Other than that, though, Eovaldi was just a blast to watch during his time at Boston last season. When he blew that 102 mph heater past Bregman in the bottom of the eighth during the decisive fifth game of the ALCS, it was as exhilarating as baseball gets for a fan (especially given all the shenanigans that had gone on beforehand)!

^^ Yankees fans are simply recalling the days when he was on the team and very inconsistent. Then they lost him to TJ surgery. It was a total bust of a signing of a very talented young man, not much unlike Michael Pineda.

^^^
    How do you feel about them re-signing Robertson &/or Britton?

From a partisan Red Sox perspective, I'd love Dealer Dave to consider overpaying for a two-year contract for Robertson (if the whole staying near home spin is true). First, because I think he's a very good pitcher, who shows all the signs of adapting as his arm ages; second, because it deprives our main division rivals of that pitcher, hence weakening them in one of the few areas where they have a legitimate claim to being stronger than Boston; & third, because it could push Cashman into panic buying, either overpaying for Britton (who I think is a significantly lesser pitcher than Robertson) or someone like Miller (with whom injuries are catching up).

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    ^^^
    How do you feel about them re-signing Robertson &/or Britton?

From a partisan Red Sox perspective, I'd love Dealer Dave to consider overpaying for a two-year contract for Robertson (if the whole staying near home spin is true). First, because I think he's a very good pitcher, who shows all the signs of adapting as his arm ages; second, because it deprives our main division rivals of that pitcher, hence weakening them in one of the few areas where they have a legitimate claim to being stronger than Boston; & third, because it could push Cashman into panic buying, either overpaying for Britton (who I think is a significantly lesser pitcher than Robertson) or someone like Miller (with whom injuries are catching up).
    Cashman is one of the better GMs in the game, so I don't see "panic" factoring into the equation. I think because they have Chapman and Betances they can afford to see how the market develops on the rest of the guys. Just my opinion.

For the Sox it's the opposite. They have to specifically identify a closer before they can let the chips fall. They'd be really smart imo to move on from Kimbrel and go with a 2-3 year deal with someone at a 12-14m AAV. I figure Dombrowski would trust Robertson and maybe Joe Kelly before Britton or Miller (who is better suited for a different leverage role). They might roll the dice and go elsewhere, even someone like Greg Holland.