Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge 2018-2019

Canterbury Binge 2018-2019

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Here's a great "classic quartet" Soft Machine live performance I had not seen before. I think I posted one or two SM vids on your binge thread last year. The Bilzen performance is a classic. Unlike many bands who have almost nothing, every year there seems to be some great new live SM material online. Let's hope this continues.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hell yeah just had Henry Cow Teenbeat and SM Vol1 on.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just discovered this albuim last night. Absolutely loving it:

Going to explore more This Heat - any one have any other artist suggestions down this lane?

^ You'll find the entire Camberwell Now roster (two EPs and The Ghost Trade) on one completely wonderful compilation by ReR, All's Well.

As for the equally or even more wonderful This Heat roster, it contained unique and singular rock music then and since; influences notwithstanding (Faust, Charlemagne Palestine, Robert Wyatt, Nico's Marble Index and more). Therefore it's pretty hard to find things similar, although you'd might want to check out some modern acts supremely informed by This Heat; Brise-Glace was a vehicle for Jim O'Rourke (then of Gastr del Sol "fame") as knots'n'cut'n'paste-man, sporting a backing band consisting of folks from Cheer-Accident and others. Also there's the very good and sometimes excellent French act Ulan Bator. Not too much Canterburian in either, though…

I think I'll have to wait for early Spring to jump on the yearly Canterbury bandwagon myself. It's more 'that' season for me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Why is Camberwell Now on a Canterbury discussion?

^ I'd like to say "solely for the reason of Charles Hayward's stint with Quiet Sun", but truth be told there's still a scent of the Wyatt/Frith/Hopper-infusion in some of CN's harmonies and sonic explorations in general.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I'd like to say "solely for the reason of Charles Hayward's stint with Quiet Sun", but truth be told there's still a scent of the Wyatt/Frith/Hopper-infusion in some of CN's harmonies and sonic explorations in general.
    Ah, ok, in such a broad sense, why not?

An incredible band, there are times that I prefer them to This Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    An incredible band, there are times that I prefer them to This Heat.
    I'd personally take them over the first This Heat album, which was partly groundbreaking but still a tad too fragmented for its own good. Very little beats Deceit, though - to my mind and ears. Still I guess CN's forté were more about the opposite - ears first, mind second. In a sense they were perhaps more instantly 'listenable'.

Adoring Canterbury band....Lapis Lazuli's latest release Brain. Here is the official video of probably the best piece on the album 'Hired Soul' It could be the only prog video to feature an egg and spoon race

Yes! I was hoping this thread would start soon.

Currently spinning the first album by Matching Mole. Maybe Little Red Record will be up next.

Spent the week between Christmas and New Year's listening to a lot of Egg and a lot of the Softs. The wife worked quite a bit during that week so I had plenty of time to myself to enjoy a Canterbury binge. Right now I'm spinning the amazing Live In Switzerland DVD.... I have a lot of housework/reorganizing to do today, and I'm going to be kicking that all off with Gilgamesh - Arriving Twice to help me through it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Adoring Canterbury band....Lapis Lazuli's latest release Brain. Here is the official video of probably the best piece on the album 'Hired Soul' It could be the only prog video to feature an egg and spoon race

Very nice album Solid grooves all the way. I think it may end up alongside Alien / Abra Cadaver as my favourite of their things.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Banned
    I'd personally take them over the first This Heat album, which was partly groundbreaking but still a tad too fragmented for its own good. Very little beats Deceit, though - to my mind and ears. Still I guess CN's forté were more about the opposite - ears first, mind second. In a sense they were perhaps more instantly 'listenable'.
    Agree on Deceit - for me, "S. P. Q. R." is one of the most haunting things I've ever heard. For whatever reason I will never get that track (or the cover of Deceit out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Here's a great "classic quartet" Soft Machine live performance I had not seen before. I think I posted one or two SM vids on your binge thread last year. The Bilzen performance is a classic. Unlike many bands who have almost nothing, every year there seems to be some great new live SM material online. Let's hope this continues.
    These vintage SM videos are the best.

Thinking about spinning my vinyl copies of Soft Machine's second and third albums this evening, after I get home from work. The question is, should I do it chronologically? Gotta make sure it's done right.

BTW, that 20 minute jam version of "Part Of The Dance" from the expanded reissue of the first Matching Mole is quite nice.

Canterbury fringe to the left:

Lol Coxhill - Ear of the Beholder (1971)
    David Bedford - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1975)

Canterbury fringe, middle ground:

G.F. Fitzgerald - Mouseproof (1970)
    Turning Point - Silent Promise (1978)

Canterbury fringe to the right:

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (1974)
    Quantum Jump - Mixing (1979)

Slightly interesting footnote on John G. Perry's entrance at Wiki is the complete omittance of his involvement with Gringo, who were (like Delivery and Arzachel) a "proto-progressive" band with faint Canterburian flair. I think it's a bit of shame how this album remains so underappreciated, as it presents Perry's fat, melancholy voice and some ace harmonies and vibes. I got it on vinyl just the other week, and it's a fine if somewhat underdeveloped work.

It's Thursday, it's 7.18pm, I've had a glass of palinca, and I want to listen to Gilgamesh:

“your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Canterbury fringe to the left:

Lol Coxhill - Ear of the Beholder (1971)
    David Bedford - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1975)

Canterbury fringe, middle ground:

G.F. Fitzgerald - Mouseproof (1970)
    Turning Point - Silent Promise (1978)

Canterbury fringe to the right:

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (1974)
    Quantum Jump - Mixing (1979)

That is a good way of putting it. Not all Canterbury-adjacent bands are the same distance from National Health.

My dad has been playing the new Lalle Larsson Trio album and his synth work at times sounds a lot like Alan Gowen, or at least Alan Gowen combined with Kit Watkins. He doesn't quite have the immaculate taste of either player, but I enjoyed what I heard quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    My dad has been playing the new Lalle Larsson Trio album and his synth work at times sounds a lot like Alan Gowen, or at least Alan Gowen combined with Kit Watkins. He doesn't quite have the immaculate taste of either player, but I enjoyed what I heard quite a bit.
    The track I heard sounded more like "Allan Holdsworth on keys"; too bad Richard Hallebeek didn't make this a quartet.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post

Not exactly sure how this fits into the Canterbury sound. Or are they just from Canterbury?

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It's Thursday, it's 7.18pm, I've had a glass of palinca, and I want to listen to Gilgamesh:

I had not really appreciated that Gilgamesh record until very very recently - like the last six months.
    I mean, it had Hugh - of course it was good - but I didn't play it much and it never made much of an impression. Seemed too laid back. Or some other flaw I can't really think of now that I am not feeling that way!

well, whatever needed to happen happened, because it's been killing me these last months. Really lovely.

so I salute your selection.

SALUT!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

well, whatever needed to happen happened, because it's been killing me these last months. Really lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Yeah, that is a very nice track. The keys and drums (GO Pip) are pretty wonderful. Has the Canterbury spices, too.