Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The Musical Box - A Genesis Extravaganza

The setlist on setlist.fm is perhaps a little misleading. Most of the Trick/Wind stuff was instrumental, and some were fragments.

Wait a minute, I thought you guys said they dropped Can-Utility! The setlist for the Cleveland show on setlist.fm says it was played! Sigh!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for Steve Hackett playing the entire Selling England album in a few months!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought you guys said they dropped Can-Utility! The setlist for the Cleveland show on setlist.fm says it was played! Sigh!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for Steve Hackett playing the entire Selling England album in a few months!
    After a 4 day break in the tour they have added it back along with Seven Stones!

^ It's because of the change in drummers, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    After a 4 day break in the tour they have added it back along with Seven Stones!
    Oh well, like I said, I guess I'll have to console myself by seeing Hackett play the entire Selling England album.

3 Acts? how long is the show? 3 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh well, like I said, I guess I'll have to console myself by seeing Hackett play the entire Selling England album.
    Thats a nice way to console yourself! I love TMB but Hackett is another level up. His band is powerful to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    3 Acts? how long is the show? 3 hours?
    No, more like two (possibly a little more), but it's divided into 3 acts because of the changes in set-up - for the Trick/Wuthering material Denis Gagné starts out playing bass, then some keyboards on the instrumentals. There are changes in the keyboards set-up for the Gabriel-era material, and changes in some players' positions on stage too. The changes are made relatively quickly, so there are no actual breaks in the performance.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Probably going against the grain but I'd take TMB every time. Always going to look and sound more authentically 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Probably going against the grain but I'd take TMB every time.
    Over Hackett??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Over Hackett??
    Yup.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Over Hackett??
    As someone who saw Hackett with Genesis twice and worships the ground he walks on, I preferred TMB's last show compared to the Hackett show I saw a few month earlier. The Hackett show was tremendous but the TMB's show took me back in time.

For me, the way I describe TMB versus the Hackett shows, is that in Hackett shows, the music lives in the present, while in TMB, it's a 'museum show.' Doesn't make one better or worse than the others, but the shows are trying to do different things.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

I'd take The Watch over TMB. The stage show is great, but the music wasn't rendered very well when I saw them considering the reputation and budget that they have.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    I'd take The Watch over TMB. The stage show is great, but the music wasn't rendered very well when I saw them considering the reputation and budget that they have.
    I'd take The Watch doing their originals over their Genesis stuff or TMB. But that doesn't happen, sadly, apart from a couple they might throw in to the set. I love their original material, and it already scratches that early Genesis itch anyway. But I guess not enough tickets will sell.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    For me, the way I describe TMB versus the Hackett shows, is that in Hackett shows, the music lives in the present, while in TMB, it's a 'museum show.' Doesn't make one better or worse than the others, but the shows are trying to do different things.

Mike
    I think of them as sort of like a Broadway (or similar) production. As much as I like them, I'll take a Hackett show every time over them.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Probably going against the grain but I'd take TMB every time. Always going to look and sound more authentically 1973.
    Well, one thing about Hackett is, he sometimes futzes around with the arrangements in ways I don't like, e.g. sticking a bit of Dancing With The Moonlit Knight into the middle of Los Endos, in place of a section of the original piece. I'd kinda like to hear him do Los Endos the way it was played on the Trick or W&W tours, but he's been doing it that way for a good 20 or more years, probably (I'm sure I've heard a version from the 90's that has arrangement), so I dont' imagine he's going to change now.

But in general, each time I've seen Hackett I've enjoyed the performances.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just saw TMB in January in Gatineau, Quebec. My oldest son just bought tickets to the show in Montreal in May. I've seen the band countless times since '93 but never tire.

The last time I watched TMB they seemed really tired and bored on stage.
    Hackett, by contrast, is enjoying a much-deserved renaissance and is basking in every minute of it.

Credit, however, to TMB for allowing countless thousands of people to get a sniff of what the original Lamb shows must have been like.
    After 20 years of listening to the album, watching their show allowed me to 'get it' finally....well... more or less...
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    The last time I watched TMB they seemed really tired and bored on stage.
    Hackett, by contrast, is enjoying a much-deserved renaissance and is basking in every minute of it.

Credit, however, to TMB for allowing countless thousands of people to get a sniff of what the original Lamb shows must have been like.
    After 20 years of listening to the album, watching their show allowed me to 'get it' finally....well... more or less...
    Hackett should just join The Musical Box.

This extravaganza show is like randomly throwing up bits and pieces of the old Genesis shows up in the air and see where they land to assemble a "sort of" new concept.
    But it doesn't seem to work when you mix Gabriel era performances with Collins early performances, they are so different and do not match at all.

This is like performing a musical with morphing phases like Act I - The Theatrical drama Gabriel period Act II - Back to the basics Collins period
    And yes, by far the Hackett shows are more interesting, it shows onstage.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

The guitarist in the Musical Box is extrodinary. He is Hackett. The new keyboardist was probably the best one I remember seeing/hearing. JM on drums made it a unique show. I agree that Act1 disappointed me a little since W&W is probably my all time favorite album. Would have loved 11th Earl of Mar and One For the Vine (in my top 10 of all time). But, the medley was executed really well.

How dafuk did JM not only learn the songs, but the segueways on a day's notice???. Most impressive.

I alternate between Hackett shows and TMB. Both are auto-buys. Shame that O'Toole left. I really enjoyed his vox on Blood on the Rooftops. He should have sang all of the W&W material.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    The guitarist in the Musical Box is extrodinary. He is Hackett. The new keyboardist was probably the best one I remember seeing/hearing. JM on drums made it a unique show. I agree that Act1 disappointed me a little since W&W is probably my all time favorite album. Would have loved 11th Earl of Mar and One For the Vine (in my top 10 of all time). But, the medley was executed really well.

How dafuk did JM not only learn the songs, but the segueways on a day's notice???. Most impressive.

I alternate between Hackett shows and TMB. Both are auto-buys. Shame that O'Toole left. I really enjoyed his vox on Blood on the Rooftops. He should have sang all of the W&W material.
    Did you see TMB with David Myers and Martin Levac? Extraordinary... They were Tony and Phil! My favorite version of the band.

I love them both, never miss Steve or TMB. As someone else mentioned TMB is like a Broadway play, a precise recreation and although Steve rearranges the old tunes they are played with such power and precision... just killer interpretations imho.

Agreed on Gary O'Toole, big loss behind the kit and vocally.

Jon Neudorf
    Another concert canceled. First Kansas, now this.

Jon