A Tempting Offer
    The X Aspect
    A New Beginning
    Moment Of Betrayal
    Heavens Cove
    Our New World
    The Astonishing
    Thanks!

Dream Theater will be performing Live at Salle Wilfrid Pelletier in Montreal on April 5th, same month and venue for the Nick Mason show.

Last time for me was at the Oakland Fox Theater in 2016, I felt that something was missing after seeing the whole Astonishing album performed Live.
    I hope I find that missing piece within this new album. We'll see...

allmediareviews.blogspot.com
    10 hours ago (edited)
    it's amazing how its come to the point I look forward to the interviews more than the new album, lol.

One of these times maybe they'll surprise me, but my hopes of them working with an outside producer (or demo-ing) seem as likely as my chances of joining them on stage to play some hand drums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He forgot to introduce Petrucci's and Rudess's beards, undoubtedly the largest personalities in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post

[IOne of these times maybe they'll surprise me, but my hopes of them working with an outside producer (or demo-ing) seem as likely as my chances of joining them on stage to play some hand drums.[/I]
    Wow, that interview said exactly nothing, apart from the fact that they're all isolated somewhere like, say, Rush in the late seventies. I'm not too surprised that the tendency is to be more tight-lipped about albums considering all the file-sharing horrors that have been in place in the last two decades, but it's kind of pointless to have an interview where the answers are all vague generalities that could apply to any band writing an album.

I liked the self-titled album more than I expected, considering the three prior albums were so underwhelming (Black Clouds being the worst; no wonder Mike Portnoy wanted a break). "Illumination Theory" hit all the DT buttons but featured enough new and interesting stuff to make me listen to it again and again. Even the guitar/keyboard solo trades seemed to work for me.

Then The Astonishing came out, and I couldn't get past the third-grade-notebook-scribbles cheesiness of the concept, so I never bought it. Reviews here haven't been that kind either, though maybe if I'm bored enough I'll get that abbreviated version someone created above. But for a couple of years I'd thought I'd pretty much given up on them.

But I dunno. I've mellowed a bit. I do really like Rudess's skills, even kept in check as they usually are on DT albums. I may get this one for old times' sake, even though I'm not expecting miracles. For some reason, the clean simplicity of the cover makes me smile and think, "Ah... what the hell. Just expect the usual DT and it'll be okay."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Listening tonight to James LaBrie's album Static Impulse, it's really quite good! It's got the melodies and hooks, with solid players and songwriting. It's kind of nice to hear him in a more conventional format, without all the bells, whistles and excesses of DT. I really enjoyed this one, and had forgotten how good it was (I bought one of those budget multi-disc boxes called Discovering James LaBrie featuring three of his albums a while back.) I certainly prefer it to the last three DT albums, to be honest.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I remain optimistic about this upcoming release. Never understood the heaps of derision piled upon the self-titled album from 2013 or even Turn of Events, though ADTOE seems to be better received than the self titled. I'm thinking Distance Over Time will be more along the lines of these records and as long as it captures a clear focused direction, it will be quality. I think the past few records sans Astonishing, get unfairly criticized for the fact that Portnoy is no longer an integral piece rather than being judged on the basis of their musical merits. ADTOE and DT stomp all over Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds...

Quote Originally Posted by Scroller View Post
    I remain optimistic about this upcoming release. Never understood the heaps of derision piled upon the self-titled album from 2013 or even Turn of Events, though ADTOE seems to be better received than the self titled. I'm thinking Distance Over Time will be more along the lines of these records and as long as it captures a clear focused direction, it will be quality. I think the past few records sans Astonishing, get unfairly criticized for the fact that Portnoy is no longer an integral piece rather than being judged on the basis of their musical merits. ADTOE and DT stomp all over Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds...
    The self-titled is the best of the three, IMO. I think The Enemy Inside is a great track and there are a few others in there that sound pretty good, particularly the first two-thirds of Illumination Theory. The last third or so of that track is the cringeworthy lighter-waving stuff that their epics often devolve into (and The Astonishing was about two hours or so of that.) Overall the album has its moments but it ultimately loses something for me when I have to stop it before it's over. As for ADTOE, I just find it a tough listen all the way through... a few of the epics have some solid moments, of course. But there's a lot of the endless wankery that I know appeals to some people, but doesn't appeal to me. It feels overlong and bloated. I'd be curious to know what the band thinks of it now, actually. On The Backs Of Angels is a decent opener though.

Maybe I'll play both of those albums again soon. It's definitely been a while for ADTOE, perhaps some of it will appeal more now, for whatever reason - that's happened before with plenty of other bands/albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

100% agree.

This thread made me play ADTOE and The Astonishing, really enjoyed both, DT 12 next. Breaking All Illusions is my fave ever DT track , just incredible.

Sorry, but Black Clouds I find pretty much better than every record since Octavarium.

Splitting hairs a bit, but I find they haven't made 2 better tracks than The Count of Tuscany and The Best of Times since.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Listening tonight to James LaBrie's album Static Impulse, it's really quite good! It's got the melodies and hooks, with solid players and songwriting. It's kind of nice to hear him in a more conventional format, without all the bells, whistles and excesses of DT. I really enjoyed this one, and had forgotten how good it was (I bought one of those budget multi-disc boxes called Discovering James LaBrie featuring three of his albums a while back.) I certainly prefer it to the last three DT albums, to be honest.
    Good Lord. He's like the worst singer ever. Awful.

Self-titled was the best DT album since Falling into Infinity, in my opinion. Some of the best and most focused songwriting they've done in a long time. ADTOE had some good ideas, but most of the songs were horribly padded out with endless wankery that didn't really seem to go anywhere. Kind of a tough slog to get through. And then there's The Astonishing...I'd prefer to forget that ever existed.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with this new one.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Really? I've heard alot worse.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I disagree, I used to think that until I actually listened to DT.

The eons are closing
    James is the only member who has truly improved their craft. Sure John plays faster and Jordan is crafting technology, but the singer Labrie is today is way better than the screecher on I&W, IMO.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    James is the only member who has truly improved their craft. Sure John plays faster and Jordan is crafting technology, but the singer Labrie is today is way better than the screecher on I&W, IMO.
    True, but that doesn't necessarily translate in to good or great.
    Kris Kristofferson is better today than when he first started, but he still sings pretty badly imo.

Actually, I always thought James sings out of his range and I cringe at times when he tries hitting those higher notes. But there are some songs when he sings softer and within his normal range and I think he's got a pretty darn good voice.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    the only thing missing is the press release touting it as the best thing since Images and Words.
    That was Portnoy's job so it left with him...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    This reminds of something that's bugged me for a while: having watched the Images and Words Live in Tokyo dvd relatively recently, I would LOVE to have that John Petrucci back; the one who could shred like a mother**ker but often chose not to (or at least to nowhere near the same extent as now). It also served to illustrate that JP's tone with that Ibanez of his was often way better than the wall-of sludge sound he seems to prefer from his Musicman, even though the latter's a lovely instrument.

Did the NY Times Magazine steal the cover?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ When is the Times magazine from?

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    This reminds of something that's bugged me for a while: having watched the Images and Words Live in Tokyo dvd relatively recently, I would LOVE to have that John Petrucci back; the one who could shred like a mother**ker but often chose not to (or at least to nowhere near the same extent as now). It also served to illustrate that JP's tone with that Ibanez of his was often way better than the wall-of sludge sound he seems to prefer from his Musicman, even though the latter's a lovely instrument.
    The moment when JM and JP got sponsorship deals for 5 and 7 string instruments is when the tone and audibility of their instruments began to suffer. The Sludge Beginneth.

For example - just heard Innocence Faded live on Pandora but its Mangini era and the ending jamout is twice the speed it was in studio, with half the tone and none of the melodic elements (due to crap tone and tempo blazing).
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

This one's going to be a game-changer isn't it?

It'll either pull back in those fans who were disappointed with The Astonishing, or it'll turn away even more fans because it fails to break new ground.

It can't possibly live up to the expectations that it'll be in the same league as Images, at least not without a further 20 years of appreciation.

And it sounds like the PR campaign is stalling already, judging by the reactions to the latest interview.

I admit I'm one of those sitting on the fence, not ready to judge until I've heard it, but I'm not in any hurry to buy it either.

It'll be fascinating to see how this plays out.......(maybe if sales tank, they'll issue a special edition titled "The Fascinating"

have some artwork of Spock.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ When is the Times magazine from?
    November 10, 2018

The cover is discussed in this clip. It can be viewed with an incognito window:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/m...ome-of-us.html

Dream Theater probably bought the rights from the artist.