Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Trunk's SiriusXM show live from Cruise to the Edge all week (MP3s inside)

Eddie Trunk's SiriusXM show live from Cruise to the Edge all week (MP3s inside)

For those not in the know, Eddie Trunk is on board Cruise to the Edge to help celebrate his friend Mike Portnoy's 50th birthday. He's also been broadcasting his daily SiriusXM music talk show live from on board the ship all week.

He's done a bunch of interviews so far with prog legends which may be of interest. Here are the full shows broadcast so far (minus commercials). Will post the last show tomorrow.

Day 1 - Mike Portnoy, Larry Morand (cruise promoter / producer)

Day 2 - Mike Portnoy, Alan White (Yes), John Lodge (The Moody Blues)

Day 3 - Richard Williams, David Ragsdale, and Ronnie Platt (Kansas), Thijs van Leer (Focus), Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse

Trunk knows next to nothing about prog so this is actually pretty funny.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

I really enjoyed the talk with Alan White, he seems to be a great guy. I'm sure his is not an easy path to walk, you must have to have really thick skin, or else not pay any attention to peoples' comments.

Here's an MP3 of the fourth and final live broadcast. Our very own Squids sat in very briefly at the end! Congrats Dave, that was very cool and unexpected to hear you.

For the first 20 minutes there were some technical issues with the radio broadcast and they played a pre-recorded "best of" tape while it was sorted out. So the live show from CTTE starts at around the 20 minute mark.

Day 4 - Steve Morse, Dave Kerzner, Billy Sherwood, Jay Schellen, members of Haken and Pain of Salvation
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 02-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    QFT

This is true, but he does know how to conduct interviews with rock musicians. He brings some interesting stories and insights out of his guests, no matter the genre. Plus Portnoy and the guy who runs The Prog Report sat in to act as prog guides for some of the interviews, and he did Q&As with the crowd who got to ask questions to the guests at points.
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 02-10-2017 at 08:00 PM.

I did watch a youtube interview with him and Derek Shulman (of Gentle Giant)and he seemed to be at least a little bit of a fan so maybe there is hope for him. But I doubt he knows much beyond the big names(including GG)or PT/SW for new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I did watch a youtube interview with him and Derek Shulman (of Gentle Giant)and he seemed to be at least a little bit of a fan so maybe there is hope for him. But I doubt he knows much beyond the big names(including GG)or PT/SW for new stuff.
    Yeah, I doubt he knows about Deyss, Ruins and Kayo Dot.

FWIW, Trunk likes what he likes and he does carry the torch for all of it. It's great that he covered CTTE.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

FWIW, Trunk likes what he likes and he does carry the torch for all of it. It's great that he covered CTTE.
    Not to mention Dushanbe.

The eons are closing
    Never get enuff Dushanbe [emoji106]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

He is a huge fan of King's X.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    He is a huge fan of King's X.
    He's a huge Rush fan too but I doubt he considers either them or King's X to be prog(probably just hard rock like many people do).

Nah, Trunk's used the prog tag for Rush. He's not that ignorant. His knowledge of hard rock and metal is extensive, too.

Nah, Trunk's used the prog tag for Rush. He's not that ignorant. His knowledge of hard rock and metal is extensive, too.

I believe you I just can't remember hearing him use the word prog other than in the Derek Shulman video.

Aren't there metal/hard rock cruises too? I saw a woman today at the grocery store wearing a shirt that looked something like a Kiss cruise or something.

Mike's birthday is 420 LOL

Listened to most of the segments. For someone that was a bit of a Fish out of water (pun intended) Trunk did a good job with the interviews. Definitely seemed to know enough, to make things interesting. Particularly good was the Kansas interview, he was clearly a fan (said he was a fan of the power album!).

Nice exposure for the Cruise and Prog in general. Don't think there been this much Prog discussion on satellite radio since XM music lab, which I thought was great. Deep tracks not as good imo...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I've never heard of Eddie Trunk, though I saw him conducting the interviews onboard.

his knowledge of Metal is extensive, but primarily old school Metal.

I've never been given the impression he knows a ton about Metal from the last 20 years, namely Extreme Metal; Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Black Metal, Post Metal, and more of the Avant Garde/Progressive Metal.

I remember on That Metal Show an episode where the topic of side projects came up and, of course, Mike Portnoy was the prime example of an artist with multiple bands. They mentioned everything but Transatlantic and Neal Morse.
    Told me everything I needed to know.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    his knowledge of Metal is extensive, but primarily old school Metal.

I've never been given the impression he knows a ton about Metal from the last 20 years, namely Extreme Metal; Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Black Metal, Post Metal, and more of the Avant Garde/Progressive Metal.
    Eddie has his 'stable' of bands that he loves, and knows everything about (UFO, KISS, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, etc) but as you mention, his knowledge or interest in newer metal, and specifically extreme metal, is pretty much non-existent.

[QUOTE=mnprogger;669760]his knowledge of Metal is extensive, but primarily old school Metal.

I've never been given the impression he knows a ton about Metal from the last 20 years, namely Extreme Metal; Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Black Metal, Post Metal, and more of the Avant Garde/Progressive Metal

Yep, he can't stand the "Cookie Monster" vocals as he calls them (can't blame him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comedy Gold. I've listened to all but the last show so far.
    Trunk is astonished that people show up for a "Prog" cruise and actually go to the concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    He's a huge Rush fan too but I doubt he considers either them or King's X to be prog(probably just hard rock like many people do).
    He better know who Kings X is. He used to work for their label.

Trunk got off the Rush boat after Signals and started to like them again after he finally interviewed them.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Eddie has his 'stable' of bands that he loves, and knows everything about (UFO, KISS, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, etc) but as you mention, his knowledge or interest in newer metal, and specifically extreme metal, is pretty much non-existent.
    His window his maybe 1970 to 1995.

Well, it's a year later and Eddie is back broadcasting his show from another Cruise to the Edge! He just interviewed Roger Dean and will be talking to members of Sons of Apollo and Ian Crichton from Saga later in the show. Said he is trying to secure Carl Palmer, Martin Barre and Steve Hogarth as guests for later in the week! Like last year I will be recording the shows and posting them here. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 02-05-2018 at 02:56 PM.