Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have the Moodies got chops?

Have the Moodies got chops?

The Moody Blues are making a stop in my area next Monday. Got me thinking about their virtuosity. To me they're more about atmosphere than flashy solos, although the one time I saw them was when Patrick Moraz was on board. Anyone want to point out particular songs or solos you find impressive?

There was a guy on Neal Morse's and Spock's Beard's board years ago that would swear that Justin Hayward was a 'better" guitarist than Steve Howe.

Of course he's insane, but obviously someone thinks they had chops.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Justin certainly does. Some of the tastiest playing ever, IMO.

But nobody goes to see The Moody Blues for chops. They are all very good musicians, but don't expect a lot of flash, although they do typically extend a couple of songs with some damn fine playing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No they haven't.

They've got harmony, melody, feeling and great lyrics. "Chops" has never been what they are about.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'll say this - I saw Hayward solo about a year ago, and he still had the energy and vitality to put on a good show. Pretty good considering he's 68. I'd go in a heartbeat, because the solo show was great. Also, the song writing on Hayward's most recent album is really good - he can still write very catch songs.

Not a chops band by any stretch, but Hayward is a very underrated soloist. For their day (the late 60s) they were considered on par with the better bands, but they were always more interested in songcraft and arranging than instrumental fireworks.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I can remember them doing an extended Legend of a Mind during the Moraz era that featured some really nice work from Moraz, Thomas and Edge.

I think it was the last time Edge did anything impressive. For 25 years he's been tapping along as basically an assistant drummer.

The biggest mistake they made was kicking Moraz out--he added an energy on record and live that they desperately needed when he joined and still need. He added that same energy when he joined Yes.

Mostly agree with what everyone else has said. Hayward is a great guitar player but he is not going to be very showy or flashy. He never has been. Lodge can do some fine bass work but he isn't going to be taking any ten minute solo's either. Edge is solid and will have his moments. I've seen them three times. Once with Moraz and twice without. All three shows were excellent. By all means go! The Moodies are cornerstones of prog.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Suspended
    Whenever I hear someone praising a band because of the players' "chops", it automatically tells me that their priorities are different from mine. Patrick Moraz had keyboard "chops", for sure, but I don't particularly like his style and I don't think he blended in well with the Moodies.

It's not always the case, but it often happens that a band gets more concerned with showing off the skills of the various members than with making really great and memorable music.

Justin Hayward is not only a fine guitarist, but had(has) one of the great voices in music. And IMO the #1 strength of the band was their songwriting.

Actually, I quite liked Moraz with the Moodies. I heard him them before Yes. I loved his work on Long Distance Voyager and The Present, which is way way underrated, imho. While I agree Hayward is best song writer in the band, with all due respect to John Lodge who has written his share of classic Moodies tunes and Graeme Edge who has also had a hand in writing some cool songs, the guy I miss is Ray Thomas. His voice was so non-rock and he had a whimsical nature that worked so well with whatever the rest of the band came up with.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Justin Hayward is not only a fine guitarist, but had(has) one of the great voices in music. And IMO the #1 strength of the band was their songwriting.
    Came in here to say this. I know chops usually doesn't refer to vocals, but Justin in his prime was an incredible singer (and his voice still sounds good). Definitely not a band focused on displaying their individual skills though.

I thinks that's like asking if the Beatles had chops... Yes, McCartney was a fine, innovative bass player and the same can be said about Harrison, but they both used their ability to enhance the songs, not to show off their technique...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Whenever I hear someone praising a band because of the players' "chops", it automatically tells me that their priorities are different from mine.
    My feeling exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Patrick Moraz had keyboard "chops", for sure, but I don't particularly like his style and I don't think he blended in well with the Moodies.
    I agree with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    the guy I miss is Ray Thomas. His voice was so non-rock and he had a whimsical nature that worked so well with whatever the rest of the band came up with.
    Same here. Ray has quite the voice. A true crooner. The guy I miss the most, though, is Mike Pinder. Saw the Moodies with him in 1972 or so. His Mellotron playing was immense. And he played a mean piano; just listen to the first album or the non-album singles they put out before Hayward and Lodge joined.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Agreed. I keep hoping at some point they will have some sort of reunion with Pinder and Thomas. I hear the Thomas will be on the new Lodge record next year. So that's something.

Bill

I'm hoping for a fiftieth anniversary tour of Days of Future Passed with Pinder, Thomas, and an orchestra.

Virtuosity - can the Moodies still give a spirited live performance? Hell yes.
    Are they Dream Theater? Thankfully no.

Pinder had chops. The rest, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There was a guy on Neal Morse's and Spock's Beard's board years ago that would swear that Justin Hayward was a 'better" guitarist than Steve Howe.
    Must be some good shit he's smoking.

They are a great band live, I've enjoyed every show and have been to lots, with and without Ray , who yes is guesting on Johns album next spring. I think with Patrick Moraz there have been personality clashes in the bands he has been in and in a band like the Moody's, harmony is a big thing.

I think Moraz got screwed by them. I love the Moodies and, really, it's the only embarrassment I see in their great history.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Justin certainly does. Some of the tastiest playing ever, IMO.

But nobody goes to see The Moody Blues for chops. They are all very good musicians, but don't expect a lot of flash, although they do typically extend a couple of songs with some damn fine playing.
    A band doesn't have to have spectacular chops necessarily for me to like them. I wasn't a huge fan until I went and saw them earlier this year. They are extremely tight live, and put on a great show. And the vocals are pristine!

If you listen carefully to Hayward's soloing and don't come away thinking he's an underrated guitarist, imo you're missing something. His voice at 68 is one of the best voices for "retention of range" still performing at that age. Paul Rodgers imo being the measuring stick.

But there is still only one person who can sing "And The Tide Rushes In".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman