Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giant virgin acquires the taste

Quote Originally Posted by timehat View Post
    I hate to be pedantic (just kidding, I love it) but while this description may give you a bit of an idea of the variegation of their robust counterpoint, it does them a disservice by implying a lack of cohesion among the parts when the compositions often display imitation and development. Gentle Giant is one of my favorite prog bands because they both exhibit a higher level of compositional craft than most of their peers while also generally not trying to prove their legitimacy qua classical music in the form of "epics", which in the cast of most rock bands tend to be meandering patchworks of unrelated material.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Rank 'em:

In A Glass House
    Acquiring The Taste
    Octopus
    Freehand
    The P&TG
    Interview
    Three Friends
    GG

...and I think that's all I have by them. They were a hell of a discovery for me in 1999/2000, around there. Never heard of them in the 70s. GG and VDGG are "the deep end" enough for me.
    In a Glass House
    Free Hand
    Octopus
    Aquiring The Taste
    Interview
    The Power and the Glory
    Debut
    Civilian
    Three Friends
    Missing Piece
    Giant For a Day

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    +1
    +2, though there's a ton of great music across a lot of albums.

I tend to lean toward the more Yes-ish, rocking side of the GG ledger, which Glass House seems to scratch particularly well.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

being a virgin is ok
    but
    how "giant" are you?
    cause that can be bad for your health ya know...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm a little shocked that Three friends seems to rank so low for many... is it the drum/guitar solo? Because I do often skip that bit. But wow, stuff like School Days and the closing tracks rank as the best work they've done for me.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm a little shocked that Three friends seems to rank so low for many... is it the drum/guitar solo? Because I do often skip that bit. But wow, stuff like School Days and the closing tracks rank as the best work they've done for me.
    Actually, it's School Days for me that lowers it for me most of all. Also...Idk...I get almost a feeling of incompleteness with that album. Don't ask me how or why. I do enjoy it though, and I love Peel The Paint....top 5 GG song for me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I don't think of Three Friends so much for the individual songs. To me, it flows better as a whole than any other concept album I know of. Out of all the Gentle Giant albums, it's the most satisfying and emotionally involving to listen to beginning to end. I mean, after the complete journey, the end is so cathartic it defies superlatives.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Ranking:

The Power & The Glory
    Octopus
    Acquring The Taste
    Interview
    Gentle Giant
    Free Hand
    Three Friends
    In A Glass House
    The Missing Piece
    Civilian
    Giant For A Day

First 8 are all varying degrees of great.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I prefer the albums with Phil, who was still with them the first time I saw them:

Octopus
    Three Friends
    AtT
    s/t
    TP&tG
    IaGH
    Free Hand
    Interview

+ Playing the Fool

...and props to Ray, "Prog's" premier bassist, imo.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I don't think of Three Friends so much for the individual songs.
    Yeah, I always parse it as one big 35 minute "epic", rather than as a collection of individual songs.

School Days is is a marvel of compostion and performance and yes, the end of Three Friends is cathartic indeed. Love the choral work.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Actually, it's School Days for me that lowers it for me most of all.
    Gasp! One of my favorite GG tracks! Turn in your GG membership card!

Just kidding. Interesting view as I really do think that song embodies much of what many love about GG. But not everything hits everyone in the same way. So it goes.

Since people are ranking them, I'll do mine:

My two favorites:

Power & the Glory
    Freehand

These I like about equally, but if forced to rank them, here's what they look like:

Three Friends
    Acquiring the Taste
    Interview
    Octopus
    Glass House

I like these to some extent, but not as much as those above by a long shot:

Civilian
    The Missing Piece
    Gentle Giant

Ouch:

Giant for a Day

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Just curious...did they ever bear children?
    mmmhhh!!!... One of those false friends between french & english

s'imprégner means to soak or bathe/immerse yourself into something
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Three Friends - the only album with 4 Shulmans?
    Working All day, Mister Class and Quality? and the title track are the highlights for me. But all songs works good together.

I don't dislike the album, I just don't like it as much as the ones I really love. Peel the Paint is the only song I really like on it, and it usually sounds better on the live albums.

IMO the whole album is mostly an example of the band not doing the things that they were best at - it sounds like an attempt to be a more conventional symphonic prog band, which is not what they were. I don't find the concept particularly interesting, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmhhh!!!... One of those false friends between french & english

s'imprégner means to soak or bathe/immerse yourself into something
    I assumed something like that was the case, but of course I couldn't resist the opportunity.
    <sig out of order>

I do enjoy it though, and I love Peel The Paint...
    I don't dislike the album, I just don't like it as much as the ones I really love.
    That sums it up for me. Peel The Paint is the standout of the whole album for me.

Ranking:
    Octopus
    In A Glass house
    Freehand
    Acquiring The Taste
    Interview / The Power and The Glory (tied)
    Three Friends
    1st album
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Can't stop listening to the version of Free Hand from Playing the Fool. Definitely the catchiest song I've heard from them so far.

Need to revisit them, but here's where I stand -

Acquiring the Taste
    Octopus
    Power and the Glory
    In a Glass House
    Three Friends
    Free Hand
    S/t

I need to hear Interview again. Haven't played it in ages and I've only heard it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I assumed something like that was the case, but of course I couldn't resist the opportunity.
    Can't resist that myself... Just did two in a row before replying here...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes. "School Days" is probably my single fave song of theirs, perhaps because they stretch out compositionally. But I also absolutely love the opening and closing tracks and think that "Working All Day" was one of their better 'hard rocking' songs (as opposed to earlier stuff like "Why Not?" or "Plain Truth").

Free Hand
    Power and the Glory
    In a Glass House
    Three Friends
    Octopus
    Acquiring the Taste
    Interview
    The Missing Piece
    Gentle Giant
    Civilian
    Giant for a Day

And that double live is very good, although I hardly ever listen to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ...think that "Working All Day" was one of their better 'hard rocking' songs (as opposed to earlier stuff like "Why Not?" or "Plain Truth").
    Should have mentioned that before when talking about why I like Three Friends. I totally agree with this. Working All Day is among my favorite GG tracks, and to me one of their best "rockers." I'm surprised this track, and another of my very favorites, Mobile from Freehand, don't get more love. But again, so it goes.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    IMO the whole album (Three Friends) is mostly an example of the band not doing the things that they were best at - it sounds like an attempt to be a more conventional symphonic prog band, which is not what they were.
    I don't know about that. They essentially said themselves (in the lyrics to "Interview") that they were still experimenting at the time, and hadn't quite established a definitive musical direction or style.

Welcome to this forum and congrats on discovering GG!

Of the classic '70s prog "titans," I think they were very possibly the best, though they never achieved the same popularity as Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Tull, etc. Sometimes I think they were perhaps too progressive even for the heyday of prog. I discovered them when I was still a teen (Octopus was my first exposure) and it didn't take me any time to "get it." Of the studio albums, my favorites are TPatG and Free Hand, but everything from AtT through Interview are great! Love 'em!