Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What prog does your Significant Other like?

Hackett era Genesis. If you count the Moodies as prog. loves them. A little ELP (loves "Lucky Man"). A little Crimson ("Court" [the song], "Cadence and Cascade", "I Talk to the Wind"...you get the gist). Some classic PFM and at least doesn't mind non-English singing as long as it's "melodic". She going to Hackett's concert with me in December in SF. It will be our first prog concert together in 32 years. Exciting! Once called "Tenemos Roads" by National Health "unpleasant". What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    Hackett era Genesis. If you count the Moodies as prog. loves them. A little ELP (loves "Lucky Man"). A little Crimson ("Court" [the song], "Cadence and Cascade", "I Talk to the Wind"...you get the gist). Some classic PFM and at least doesn't mind non-English singing as long as it's "melodic". She going to Hackett's concert with me in December in SF. It will be our first prog concert together in 32 years. Exciting! Once called "Tenemos Roads" by National Health "unpleasant". What can I say?
    My wife has almost identical tastes to yours! Over the years she has accompanied me to several ELP shows, Banco at Nearfest 2001, and several Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson shows.

Well I guess she is not as significant as she used to be, but then neither am I.

My wife is a musician but doesn't really "listen" to music. She only listens if she has to play it.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    When i met my wife in '77, she was into Poco, Loggins and Messina, Van Morrison. Our third date--ELP's Works tour with full orchestra at MSG in NYC--began her long ascent into progdom. Many here have met my beautiful wife at various Nearfests, FMPM, many concerts. She loves:
    All things Neal Morse (Spock's Beard, Flying Colors; HUGE Transatlantic fan)
    Fish-era Marillion and Fish
    Magenta
    Mike Oldfield (well, up to his latest, which she rightly denounced)
    King Crimson
    ELP
    Genesis and all things Hackett and Gabriel
    Kate Bush
    Jane Siberry
    While not a big fan of either, she will not complain if I put on The Flower Kings or IQ!

My wife will listen to the more melodic, song-oriented stuff. I can't play Relayer when she's around, but she actually likes Talk, and especially "I Am Waiting" and "Endless Dream."

Pink Floyd is usually OK, unless it's some of the early, very experimental music, or if Roger Waters is caterwauling too much.

Most Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, and Transatlantic goes down OK. She likes "We All Need Some Light" and "June."

Of all the prog in my collection, I think she likes IQ the most. She actually ripped a couple of my IQ CDs into her iTunes library.

my fiancé is a huge Mars Volta and tool fan. so much that she actually did the whole East Coast lateralus leg. lately she's been into Pelican and Russian Circles as well as the new Jack White, Black Mountain and Lana del Ray releases. she saw Nick Cave last week while i went to see Oneida

a funny aside: I was playing my pre-release rip of Heaven and Earth 2 weeks ago and she walked into the room and said "what the FUCK is this happy horse shit??!!" cracked me up

My wife had a cassette copy of 90125 when I met her. Now, after 15 years of being hitched to me, I think she'd prefer never having to hear another note of Yes music if she could help it.

She really took to the King Crimson I've played for her and loved the show we went to on the Thrak tour. She also likes Peter Gabriel solo and would probably dig most of the early Genesis if she ever got around to listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    the "cheesey" Genesis stuff, like Trick of the Tail.

I can get you the number of a good divorce lawyer.

Just about everything I like except for the harsher electronics like Heldon or Frippertonics, and singers like Peter Hammill at his most histrionic. I don't play anything I don't like in her presence, so she doesn't get exposed to the chaff. That way I don't run the risk of her liking something I don't(Yes, Journey etc.)and all the troubles that could ensue.

Two that she really likes are Rare Bird(1st 2 albums)and Michel Moulinie's Chrysalide. She will frequently request these so I always keep them handy.
    Last edited by Calabasas_Trafalgar; 07-29-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Over the course of 24 years, I dragged the BnC (ball and chain) to:

Peter Gabriel 2X (So, Secret World)
    GTR
    Mike + the Mechanics
    Steve Hackett
    Genesis (IT, WCD)
    Roger Waters 2X (Radio KAOS, In the Flesh)
    Pink Floyd (Division Bell)
    ELP (Palmer AND Powell)
    King Crimson (Thrak and Level 5)
    Musical Box / LLDOB
    Adrian Belew Power Trio
    Yes (Union and Masterworks w/Kansas opening)
    California Guitar Trio
    Tony Levin Band
    ...among others not-so-prog incl. David Bowie, Living Color/King's X

In terms of listening, she was more of the Phil-era Genesis, Journey, Bee Gees, Bryan Adams ilk...and tolerated my playlists for lack of a better word...

But, since I kicked her to the curb in 2010, I now subject my kids to my prog-clivities - Yes coming up August 12, Alan Holdsworth Aug 14...
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 07-28-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

My wife's favorites include Tony Banks solo (curious feeling, still and strictly inc), Peter Gabriel (esp. Us and Up), Jon Anderson solo and some Yes. She did see the Flower Kings with me twice, and enjoys them when they aren't too heavy. Some of her favorite artists are what I'd call proggy pop, such as Prefab Sprout, Swing Out Sister, Sally Oldfield and China Crisis. She also adores Brian Wilson (esp. Smile) and the last Beach Boys album. She is also a CranioSacral Therapist, which is related to massage, and occasionally will play Karda Estra and Willowglass for her clients.

Edit: And one of her finest qualities is that she loves Cirrus Bay. Well, our 2nd and 4th albums anyway.
    Last edited by bill g; 07-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nada, butkiss, zilch, zip, nothing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    FYI Ian, it's bupkis, which is Yiddish for zilch, zip, nothing.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I can get you the number of a good divorce lawyer.
    Ha! She is an attorney!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

My S.O. said "Is Procol Harum prog?"

I said, "Well, some people think so, at the very least they're on the fringe…"

"Okay, I think I've found the first prog band I like."

And I'm still trying.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

My wife doesn't like it, except for a few hits like PF's Money or TMB's Nights In White Satin. Funny, though, one time I had Par Lindh's "Mundus Incompertus" in the car. She drove somewhere and turned on the stereo and she actually liked that! Nearly floored me.

Brooke has been to a couple of concerts and two Baja Prog festivals now and she has enjoyed:
    PFM
    Return To Forever
    New Trolls
    Le Orme
    Shylock
    Neal Morse
    Omni

plus she likes:
    Pink Floyd
    11th House
    David Gilmour
    Mandrill
    Camel

we did a new years eve night where we did a double-blind blindfold taste test of Imperial Stouts while playing
    RTF - Anthology
    PFM - Per Um Amico
    Pink Floyd - WYWH

it was a night to remember

the only things she really doesn't appreciate are
    overabundance of vocals
    2nd rate vocalists
    or if the music gets too atonal or crunchy

tonight we played Sezon Dodzhei (Rainy Season) and we pretty much agreed that they were good once they stopped noodling around... (each piece being over 10 minutes long with only the final 6 minutes being sonically coherent)
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-29-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

There's never been a significant other that ever liked prog and that's probably why I'm single! It always scared the shit out of most women I've known, especially the darker side of prog that I love. I for years have known a platonic female friend that loves prog (she's going to Crimson and Hackett), and she married a guy that's into Celtic music...go figure?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

My wife is okay with most prog. She even puts on Camel and Aranis CDs without me telling to do so.
    However when it gets too metally or dissonant she flees the room.

My interests include prog, video games, and fantasy novels.

The line forms here, ladies.

Renaissance and Curved Air.

Next month, it will be 20 years we're together, but it's not because of her music tastes (they're neither good or bad, she doesn't have many of them). She liked Floyd and Supertramp (even owned a few vinyls of the former) in a typical female pile of singles and vinyls when I met her. She loathes anything that has a bit of a jazz ring (well, she loves Take 5 and Ella & Satchmo), so JR/F or modal jazz are out of the question when she's around...

She almost hated neo-prog before I got severely annoyed with it >> those whinney vocals and strident guitars are not sitting well with her... at all. (same thing with trumpets >> when it comes to classical instruments, she much prefers a bassoon over a clarinet and a cello to a violin) >> I never bring her to a concert anymore, because she spends her time complaining about volume, and comes home with a headache

In terms of prog, amazingly enough, we can become physical when Anglagard is playing. As far as the rest of prog, it's a little hits and much misses with her, but I don't try to push it to her either

She likes some folk like Pentangle (the jazz in it doesn't bother her) and others forms of it (she loves JDDG >> especially Sun Symphonia, but hates Comus >> too strident for her)..; Espers and PG Six and Tunng also gets passing grades for her

Quote Originally Posted by rhymes with rogue View Post
    My wife passed away three years ago; but she was one of those rarest of females who would accompany me to Crimson concerts. And enjoy it, too!
    The woman that should've been "the woman of my life" (sadly never happened >> the Festival of Missed Opportunities) enjoyed tons of prog and did follow me to Crimson Thrak tour concert >> she had amazing musical tastes and certainly that was the reason of our mutual attraction (that never materialized)

============

Just thought I'd specify to the charming gals that populate this forum (and won't miss to check out this thread to shoot at sight the machists) that The woman that should've been "the woman of my life" is not the same as my long-standing GF... but she's become "the woman of my life", maybe a bit by default (and persistance), but it's certainly a good thing, and I love her for it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm very fortunate in that I met my wife when we were both 16 so we've evaluated each new band together and we mostly agree on those we think worth keeping. The exceptions are usually those with singers (my collection is mostly instrumental). She loves Peter Hammill and Elizabeth Fraser, but loathes Moe Tar, St Vincent, Wondeur Brass and Cardiacs, so these only get played in my car or when she's out. When I ask what to put on she usually says 'something nice' and leaves it up to me, but on those occasions when she's home by herself I usually find she's selected Hammill/VDGG, Comsat Angels, Ne Zhadali or Masfel. Over the years she's happily accompanied me to see VDGG, Albert Marcoeur, Alamaailman Vasarat, Yes, Weather Report and Apocalyptica so I wouldn't say she's at all conservative.

Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

FYI Ian, it's bupkis, which is Yiddish for zilch, zip, nothing
    ^ That is Hi Larry Us........

When I had a S.O. about 12 years ago I tried to get her to listen to Gentle Giant a little. I played her Knots. She thought it was clever, cute, whatever. She's a piano player and singer (who sang professionally at one time). She loved opera and classical music so I figured she'd take to prog. Well, nada, zilch, nuttin' bupkis, in the end. It just didn't interest her. To her it was the shit she was listening to in highschool and had no interest in revisiting. To me it was all so fresh and vibrant. To her it was strange and not worth wasting her time on.

Kristi
    While dating (many years ago), similar musical taste was high on my list. Being married 24 years, while there are a few things each of us like better than the other, our taste is remarkably similar. We both intensly dislike neo. Other than that, we are pretty open.