Thread: Peter Gabriel says Real World record label can last another 25 years

Peter Gabriel says Real World record label can last another 25 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28510936

Peter Gabriel says Real World record label can last another 25 years

By Martin Vennard BBC News

Musician Peter Gabriel says his world music label can carry on for at least another 25 years.

Gabriel, who runs Real World records, made the prediction despite dwindling CD sales and the growth in streaming.

"As long as the audience is interested and keeps sustaining us then we'll deliver what we can", he said on the 25th anniversary of the label.

The former Genesis musician said consumers had to decide whether to "return some payment" to musicians.

Speaking to BBC News at the Womad Festival in Wiltshire, which he co-founded, Gabriel said: "Records don't sell in the way they used to.

"We have to make a choice as consumers about whether we want to return some payment, but there is a lot of generosity in people's hearts."

He added that the record label would continue to bring new musical artists from around the world to a wider audience and expand its remit, adding more Latin American music while introducing a world hip-hop stage at Womad.

"I think we just want to push our own boundaries a bit and go outside of what's our comfort zone," he said.

He set up Real World Records, which grew out of Womad, in 1989 to put world music fans in reach of musicians.
    The Blind Boys of Alabama The Blind Boys of Alabama are one of Real World's acts

It has released more than 200 albums from artists including the Congolese musician Papa Wemba, The Afro Celt Sound System, The Drummers of Burundi, The Blind Boys of Alabama and Gabriel himself.

Gabriel says a particular highlight was working with the late Qawwali singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, "the Pakistani Pavarotti", who was one of the first artists to be released by the label.

"I think that was a sort of a landmark in a sense in that we helped him find an audience outside of Qawwali, and that was always one of the main aims for the label," Gabriel said.

But he added: "We wouldn't have got involved with any of the artists if we didn't love what they did.

"I don't think we had any idea when we set out that we'd be here 25 years later. But it's great. I think we've worked with extraordinary artists so I think we've been very lucky."

Has anyone got favourite Real World Record albums? I've liked a compilation called Bliss http://www.amazon.com/Bliss-Nusrat-F.../dp/B000005ZEF which was released in late 1990s.

Try some Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, this stuff is strangley appealing

25 years? I'm thinking he pulled that number out of his a...

Hat.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They can more easily last that long if they stop releasing boxed sets with both CDs and vinyl in them.

In terms of favourite RW albums I'd cite:

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Last Prophet - the only RW release of his where he was able to stretch out: others too often cut the tracks short

Iarla O Lionard, Seven Steps to Mercy - I can't stand the Afro-Celt junk, but this is lovely

The Mahabhrata OST - I saw this back in 1988. One of the most astounding nights of my life. This is a good reminder.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?