Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PFM at the BBC (september) plus Esoteric Aug/Sept releases

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Your description (particularly the "jammy acid rock" reference and Quicksilver, who are probably my favorite 1st gen SF band - wish Cip was still here), Scrotie, made me curious enough to listen to HY.

BTW, Gratulerer med dagen! (either it's belated or early, but wtf.)
    Thx for the accolade, but it's not actually my birthday... I was rather deep in the single malt when I laid down those data back in the day!

I absolutely agree on QMS. During my days as neo-hippy pot/beerhead student at university (say 1991-94), the QMS debut album was my most cherished possession. I love Trails and Cancer Moon as well, I think Grove is far better than its rep (although Duncan is missed), and I even think there are some real goodies on both Just and What About. There have been some very good boots released officially these last few years as well. As for Cippo, he was the reason why I bought my Gibson SG back in the days, and this was before I discovered that Manuel Göttsching, Barry Melton, Glenn Phillips (all fave axemen of mine) and others also played the thing. Of course I knew that Zappa, Tony Iommi and Leigh Stephens did.

Man, there were loads of great bands coming out of S.F. during that tenure (1966-70) - and I'm really glad I've collected most of it, from the lost goodies (Tripsichord, Kak) to the rather dubious ones (Savage Resurrection et al.).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Never heard of Help Yourself, but those clips have me sold. Beautiful.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I have the OGWT footage of PFM as a boot. Looking forward to picking this up.

Is there a complete track list of the video?

The copy that I have has Chocolate Kings, Alta Loma 9 til 5 and Celebration.

More cash coming your way, Esoteric.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Sadly not a 'like button' on here. I do have the track list but not to hand as not at home, however will no doubt be up on Amazon uk next week as our September releases always go up first week in August

So, any chance of Esoteric reissuing the next couple of Sancious albums following these two.....?

I'm in for Help Yourself and the PFM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    So, any chance of Esoteric reissuing the next couple of Sancious albums following these two.....?
    Oh, go on.........

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does the ABWH include new liner notes?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does the ABWH include new liner notes?
    Ah, I see on the websie it says it has a "new essay." A learned thesis on the wonders of ABWH no doubt.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    John Lodge (Moody Blues) spring 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    And a new John Lodge. What I hate is the both Justin Hayward and John Lodge have or will be releasing albums but nothing new from The Moody Blues. Wish they would record an album.

Bill
    Ha, so do we if we could bid for it! LOL! Johns album will suprise people a lot I think. I dont think its going to be totally what they think it will be! and its not like Justins either and RAy Thomas has a lovely guest spot along with a few others.
    A John Lodge-album? Although I love all his songs up until "The Present", including stuff on "Blue Jays", but I don't think I'm that thrilled about anything he's written after that, if it has even left an impression at all. That said, I love his voice, and I think this was always a singer who's gotten the least praise for his lovely, can't-quite-put-my-finger-on style of singing. Though I'm first to admit Hayward and Thomas both have in theory vocals with more character and skill, John Lodge's voice just has this colour in my ears that I always find unresistable.

So here's one hoping he has gotten a good producer for the album that brings out the best of his voice, plus a set of good compositions. I know he already got a good label!

I think Johns album will suprise many--it did Mark!

I think Johns album will suprise many--it did Mark!
    This is making me think that the sound may hearken back to the early Moodies days, versus the more "rawk" oriented songs that Lodge wrote in the 1980-90s time frame... I live in hope.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    This is making me think that the sound may hearken back to the early Moodies days, versus the more "rawk" oriented songs that Lodge wrote in the 1980-90s time frame... I live in hope.

Mike
    You will have to see but one track Ive heard certainly does.

You will have to see but one track Ive heard certainly does.
    Tease!

Oh I am but I know Mark was suprised when he heard the album

Track listing for PFM-Paper Charms etc is now up on the Esoteric website. Video is NTSC Region free.

www.esotericrecordings.com

Contents look great as expected but jesus, that very modern sleeve really sucks IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Contents look great as expected but jesus, that very modern sleeve really sucks IMO.
    Yeah, that artwork is pretty odd - what is that thing supposed to be? Looks like it was a holding place for artwork that was never added.

I'm pretty excited for this set though, because I've NEVER seen PFM performing, except for at NEARfest.

Vicky, any chance of releasing RPI band Libra's two English sung albums Libra and Winter Day's Nightmare on CD?
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Yeah, that artwork is pretty odd - what is that thing supposed to be? Looks like it was a holding place for artwork that was never added.

I'm pretty excited for this set though, because I've NEVER seen PFM performing, except for at NEARfest.
    I have a bootleg of the BBC appearances and can confirm that the band smoke. : )

Yikes. No YouTube in Westchester?

My boss gave me a $50 pre-paid credit card today, which I immediately used to (pre) order the PFM set! Looking forward to it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***