Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many groups! !!!

Too many groups! !!!

Every time I read a new thread there are new groups i want to check out. I miss the old days of just the bands on the local radio stations. Not really but I am obsessed with discovering all these new bands just thinking what I've been missing out on. Great board by the way. I've only been on a few days. Not new to prog been a fan of Rush for 25 years and DT, Yes and King Crimson for about 20.
    .but there seems to be more prog than ever now.

It's information overload. I don't try to keep up with every single new band that puts up their music on websites. If I spent every waking second of my life checking out new music I'd reach the end of my life and barely scratch the surface. Sometimes I discover something new by accident, but I just don't have the time or patience to play every youtube video that gets posted daily.

Yes, the entire history of music at your fingertips. It can be a little daunting.

I remember going to record shops and flipping through the discs, occasionally seeing an intriguing cover and turning it over to see if I recognized any of the musicians or they listed any interesting instruments.

I bought a lot less in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012
    I just don't have the time or patience to play every youtube video that gets posted daily.
    I hear ya. I stopped reading everything new on the internets several weeks ago ....

Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    Every time I read a new thread there are new groups i want to check out. I miss the old days of just the bands on the local radio stations. Not really but I am obsessed with discovering all these new bands just thinking what I've been missing out on. Great board by the way. I've only been on a few days. Not new to prog been a fan of Rush for 25 years and DT, Yes and King Crimson for about 20.
    Take heart -- all of us have been where you are at one time or another. Just take it slow and consume new stuff at a pace you can deal with. But my advice is to also spread your attention beyond your stylistic comfort zones.

Happy listening!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Take heart -- all of us have been where you are at one time or another. Just take it slow and consume new stuff at a pace you can deal with. But my advice is to also spread your attention beyond your stylistic comfort zones.

Happy listening!
    Yeah I agree with expanding. That's why I'm digging Knife World right now. For a while all prog was sounding like different variations of Dream Theater. That got old real quick.

For a while all prog was sounding like different variations of Dream Theater. That got old real quick.

<<Too many groups! !!!>>

Actually there is only one group, and it can NEVER BE STOPPED!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

been a fan of Rush for 25 years and Yes and King Crimson for about 20.
    That's even more disturbing.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Stay off the Internet, go to your local music joint only. In doing that, you'll discover more than enough groups, believe me.

A bit of advice - familiarize yourself with the classics of the key subgenres, get a feeling for what appeals to you the most, then go more in depth.

Welcome aboard and happy listening!

This place has cost me serious change over the years. I would advise staying away from the Stoner or jazz threads, those two are expensive to keep up with.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Keeping up with Italian Prog alone is near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Stay off the Internet, go to your local music joint only. In doing that, you'll discover more than enough groups, believe me.
    Can't agree with that. You will find a bunch of discs with cool covers that tell you nothing about the music -that is if you have a local music shop. I knew the basics of prog back in the mid 90's, but had no idea the huge scope of bands and styles out there. Going online in 1997 changed my musical world forever. 17 years later I'm still overwhelmed by what is out there, though I'm certainly far more knowledgeable these days, and make much more informed purchasing decisions. It is never ending though, and not just with new stuff. I decided last week to fill some gaps in my collection, titles by bands I'm already into but I never got around to picking up. Well 17 downloaded albums later, and I'm out a bunch of cash! Nah, some were real cheap, but it was easy to get carried away. Then I decide to pickup a couple discs not available as MP3'a. I end up buying 4 more discs. Crazy, but they are albums I know for sure I will like. Luckily I have a couple weeks of plenty of free time, I'm taking advantage until I go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Between the classic 70's scene, and the recent resurgence, absolutely.

I was actually referring to a music joint/venue/club/bar, not a record store.

Yeah, the OP started this thread in jest. There is a lot out there and places like this place and it's members start you on a great journey. I'm also a big fan of going to shows and festivals knowing little to anything about the groups involved. Me likes some surprises. Thinking about going to Progtoberfest in Chicago pretty much blind, too. It's all fun.

Try keeping up with Tangerine Dream!

If you happen to hear something you like - enjoy it. Doesn't matter what kind of rules other people set for themselves. I find something every couple months these days - love the access we now have. I do miss the "hunt" though. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I was actually referring to a music joint/venue/club/bar, not a record store.

Yeah, the OP started this thread in jest. There is a lot out there and places like this place and it's members start you on a great journey. I'm also a big fan of going to shows and festivals knowing little to anything about the groups involved. Me likes some surprises. Thinking about going to Progtoberfest in Chicago pretty much blind, too. It's all fun.
    Surprises are nice. I didn't know anything about Echolyn until I saw them open for Dream Theater in 1994 or 1995. I do love finding new music from places like this.

Take a right turn and enjoy pop. You'll thank me later.

Suspended
    These days, I think the key to discovering and enjoying new music is probably knowing what NOT to waste your time with.

Yup, the old bands are still around and new artists are popping out every day. It gets impossible.....

Unlike all of you here, I have been able to listen to, and ingest, every single band ever mentioned on this board. However, I choose to refrain from flexing my vastly superior knowledge here, in order to not make you all cower before me in abject submission to my mighty musical supremacy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a band just forming in Tartu Estonia whose music I must imbibe and later regurgitate to you lesser mortals in predigested morsels which your tiny minds will be able to absorb.
    Last edited by Yves; 07-24-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'm in this camp!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

My limitation method:
    1. gigs, festivals, real world word of mouth at gigs
    2. the metal/hardrock, goth/synth mags I buy

If I were to use internet music forums, music news & sales websites, and/or streaming sites I would also find it impossible to keep up.

I don't try to keep up anymore. What's the point? I just seek out things based on recommendation / prior knowledge of / interesting description. Music takes time and effort, so I dedicate both to enjoyment. Trying to keep up will ultimately result in burnout.