Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 1st Concert Ever? "Prog" ? Ticket Cost? Venue? How Old Were You? Still Have Ticket?

Nov. 15, 1972. Imagine my surprise 43 years later of being able to hear it again in its entirety! I was 17.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    First concert for me was Cream (October 12, 1968--Olympia Stadium, Detroit). I don't have a ticket stub. What I have is a signed copy of Wheels of Fire by all of Cream. My brother's business at the time was Hammond and church organ repair. He was called to repair the Hammond of the opening act, Friend and Lover (Reach Out of the Darkness) so he took my album with him.
    NICE!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    My first concert ever was Chuck Berry at the Six Flags Over Mid-America's Old Glory Amphitheater, somewhere around 1974.
    I must have seen 4 or 5 shows there between 1979(ish) and 1981. Head East, Missouri, Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Chicago, maybe one more. And all for free thanks to a seasons pass.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That 82 tour was the first time I paid more than $10 to see a concert. I still have the ticket stub. The cost was $11 which I thought was highway robbery at the time. Little did I know that concert tickets would begin to skyrocket just a few years later. That show was still one of my all time favorites. Gabriel was at the top of his game.
    Had to go digging to see if I could find my ticket stub as I have kept many over the years. My memory was pretty good. Got the date and place right. Row 12 not 11. Left orchestra not center but on the end so I did lightly slap PG and the band on the back as they entered from the isle playing drums. Very cool! Face value was $12.50. I know I called out of state for the tickets after calling many in the area. I was not too confident I wasn’t going to get taken but everything worked out.

Can’t get over how cheap some of the games and concerts were back in the day.
    Isle tix 1978 - $8 upper $12 lower
    Phil Collins Palladium 1982 - $11.50
    Moody Blues Jones Beach 1991 - $25
    Yankees field box 1994 - $17
    Yankee playoff game main box 1995 - $25
    The Who Shea Stadium 1982 - $16
    Rush Nassau Coliseum 1982 - $12.50
    Pink Floyd Nassau Coliseum 1988 - $25
    Tangerine Dream Radio City 1988 - $25
    And the list goes on...
    Last edited by Tangram; 03-09-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Prog
    $7
    Jethro Tull(J.Geils Band opened)
    Colt Park, Hartford,Conn, Summer 1976
    no

Prog?

Some time in 1969 I believe - Day of Phoenix

Could also have been John Mayall - Turning Point in Copenhagen...

When I come to think of it... it was 1968

My school saw a play by the swede Lars Forsell: “Sock! Switch! Bang! Smack! Vroom!” It was a science-fiction parody on Batman (which was american and thus bad), the music was by the band Young Flowers who played live, and sounded like Cream.
    In fact they toured with Cream as the support act.

First Prog----1971 Jethro Tull---MSG---have ticket. $4.50

First Rock---1970 Led Zeppelin---MSG---around somewhere

KISS - April 2, 1986 - Memorial Auditorium - Utica, NY - Have ticket, $13.50
    Rush - June 2, 1990 - Knickerbocker Arena - Albany, NY - Have the shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Yankee playoff game main box 1995 - $25
    Mattingly's final home game?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Mattingly's final home game?
    Yes. Leyritz HR in 15th wins game. Mattingly homer earlier in the game was the loudest/craziest I’ve ever seen. The fans were going absolutely nuts.

Procol Harum - Hull City Hall. 1977. 'something Magic' Tour.

Motorhead, Bradford St. George's Hall, 1985. Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction supporting. Probably not prog.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 03-10-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

First prog concert was ELP in 1977 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. I believe that the price was $9.50. I sat on the 10th row.

Dio, October 1984, Leicester DeMontfort Hall. I'd have been 14 at the time. Sadly, I really can't remember how much the ticket cost, but it probably wasn't all that much. Queensryche were the support act and were, frankly, bloody awful. First prog gig? Marillion, also at the DeMontfort Hall, in February 1986, when I was 15. IIRC, the gig was originally scheduled for October of the previous year, but Fish lost his voice, meaning that the band had to reschedule the entire UK leg of the Misplaced Childhood tour.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    First concert for me was Cream (October 12, 1968--Olympia Stadium, Detroit). ......opening act, Friend and Lover (Reach Out of the Darkness).
    Interesting opening act. When I saw Cream a few weeks later Terry Reid and The Moody Blues were on the bill.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

My first concert ever was David Crosby and Graham Nash in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    My first concert ever was Chuck Berry at the Six Flags Over Mid-America's Old Glory Amphitheater, somewhere around 1974.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I must have seen 4 or 5 shows there between 1979(ish) and 1981. Head East, Missouri, Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Chicago, maybe one more. And all for free thanks to a seasons pass.
    This was also the venue for my first concert, totally by accident, when I was on a tour with a church group. I'm pretty sure it was '76, because the Screamin' Eagle ride was brand new. My buddies and I were walking around the park and heard a band sound-checking. You could look right down into the ampitheater and see it was a bunch of pretty hillbilly/redneck looking dudes. But when they started to play it was anything but. It was Kansas. I can't find it on any list of concert dates, but I'm absolutely sure it happened.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Frank Zappa...1976, with Flo & Eddie
    Zappa’s band: Belew, Bozzio, Jobson & O’Hearn!
    Detroit: Cobo Arena
    Cost??? I didn’t pay.
    I was 15yrs old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELP with Orchestra June 4, 1977

Ticket $10.00 (I think the service charge was a whopping $.0.60!)

Soldier Field Chicago

15 years old

No stub :-(
    Last edited by pbs1902; 03-18-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    First concert. Led Zeppelin - Chicago Stadium - April 9, 1977 - $9:00 (scalper price $20). Page got sick and they only played 6 songs. http://www.ledzeppelin.com/sites/def...4-6-77tkt2.jpg

First Prog Concert. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (w/ orchestra) - Solider Field (Chicago) - June 4, 1977 - $10.60. Long hot day with Foghat, J. Geils Band and The Climax Blues Band. Well worth it.

Attachment 4640

Neither ticket is mine. Had to return Zeppelin ticket for refund and lost ELP ticket.
    WOW! I was at the same two shows. I too 'had' to return the Zep ticket for a refund (although I had paid $20 to a scalper for an $8.50 ticket). Stomach ache, my ass!

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    WOW! I was at the same two shows.
    You realize that was you, right?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

First concert : 1982: Dexys midnight runners in Arena, Rotterdam. Forgot ticket price and never kept any tickets.
    First prog concert: 1983 Marillion at Parkpop, den Haag. A free festival.

Loving this thread! Some legendary shows!

I know someone who watched Yes do Topographic for the first time ever and someone else who was at the Who's Live At Leeds gig.

However, (being a young pup) my first gig was Roger Waters (just after leaving Floyd) in London 1987 (£12)

My mate and I missed the last National Express coach home and slept on the floor in Victoria St. Coach station with a load of tramps. Happy times...

I still have the t-shirt and it still fits me.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Not prog...

Boston
    Tour: Third Stage Tour
    Opener: Fahrenheit
    The Spectrum
    Philadelphia, PA
    June 25, 1986
    Ticket stub? Yes
    Chad