Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 1st Concert Ever? "Prog" ? Ticket Cost? Venue? How Old Were You? Still Have Ticket?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Attachment 3991

Jethro Tull - Ottawa Civic Centre $3 1973 and the math would be 17
    I saw his '76 show in Ottawa (think). First show, Genesis Trick of the Tail in Ottawa early 1976 (followed by the 2112 Tour for Rush). I'm pretty sure the Genesis seats were $6.50 or $7.50 at the door.

Deep Purple with ZZ Top as the opening act. Nosebleed seats at 6.50

1st concert November 74' Zappa $6 Capital Theater Passaic New Jersey 16 years old still have the stub

A couple weeks later 2nd concert Genesis Lamb tour $6 Academy of Music NYC still have the stub

You guys will laugh but my first concert was The Gogos & A Flock Of Seagulls at the Spectrum in Philadelphia during about 1983. I wanted to see AFOS and my sister wanted to see the Gogos so my parents took us because it seemed like a fair compromise. Tickets were $20-$25, I think. Good concert, though!

Library Jon

January 14, 1973. I was 18 years old. It was at Philharmonic Hall in NYC. Ticket was probably less than $10. Flash was the headliner. The openers were Dr. Hook and Earth, Wind, & Fire. Hard to believe, but it's true, I saw Flash before seeing JT, Genesis, Yes, or ELP.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My first concert was Journey at the Carrier Dome in 1981. I had zero interest in the band but a friend had tickets and it was the first concert at the Dome during our freshman year at Syracuse Univ. Don't remember how much they cost but he had an extra which he sold to a guy for $6 and a swig for each of us off his bottle of vodka!

First real prog concert: King Crimson, Syracuse War Memorial, 1982
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-22-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Tell the truth, you're a huge Journey fan.

Jethro Tull for the 'Too Old..." tour.

It was a festival at the LA Colosseum.

Opening bands were:

Starcastle
    Rory Gallagher
    Robin Trower

Great show, until the giant food fight broke out during Tull that went on an on. It truly sucked. Not the concert, which was great!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by willyswing View Post
    Yes, King Crimson, Procol Harum (headliner), Nov.1971, Academy of Music, NYC. Tickets: $4.50!!
    I think this might have been my first as well. As I read through the thread, that was the one I thought of, though I couldn't remember the year. I remember this because I got sick during one of the acts, can't recall which one, but I was embarrassed that I couldn't hold my liquor (was 19, and had been at a party before the show at some fancy NJ river town condo that revolved, or perhaps used to, I think it was out of service in that regard at that point) it turned out I had food poisoning from lunch at my job at Amerada Hess. Remember when it wasn't just Hess? Not sure I've spelled the Amerada correctly, actually. I worked accounts payable there, it sucked. Anyway, lots of people said they got sick, so I felt better about it. Still feel bad for whoever it was I threw up on.

Hi Beano, perhaps you'll remember me when I relate the story of the Caravan/Nectar show at B.B. Kings around 2003(?) I think it was on the Nearfest ticket exchange list that you wrote about this show and I chimed in with how wasn't it weird when the drunk girl shouted out after the first Nectar tune " turn down the bass, assholes!" You replied with some surprise that someone else was there. That was my friends wife, btw. We left pretty quickly after that. I see you've recently moved to NC. I am in the process of buying there as well, closing is scheduled for 8/11, we should get together someday. Of course,it is a big state and I will only move there full time in 2019!

First concert ever-Tobruk-Prescott Community Center, Prescott, Ontario, Canada-summer, 1973-I was 10 years old

First prog concert-Rush and Max Webster, Ottawa Civic Center, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, April, 1977-no ticket stub
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Joni Mitchell, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Tim Hardin, Tangelwood, Massachusetts. 1968. $3 on the lawn. Still have many hundreds of my ticket stubs.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    No - Don't Stop Believin' was about the only Journey song I knew, because it was being played to death at the time. I did think it was fun when he sang "...born and raised in Syracuse..."

First concert – The Doobie Brothers “Living On The Fault Line” tour Wings Stadium Kalamazoo MI. I no longer have the stub, but I think it was something like $8 bucks (maybe less). I was 17 years old, smoking dope out of a corn cob pipe (it’s a long story), good times.

First Prog Concert – Kansas “Monolith” tour, Wings Stadium Kalamazoo MI. Don’t have this stub either, but it was under $10. Kansas was at their absolute peak as a live act with the biggest production they ever toured with. Absolutely stunning concert.

The first was the Go-Go's as a chaperone to my sister, in 1984, at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. I was 15.
    The second was Madness, a band which I was a fan of in the eighties, in 1985, at the Hollywood Palladium. I was 16.
    The third was the famous Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe gig in 1989, at the Shoreline Theater in Mountain View, California, that played on Pay-Per-View, in 1989. I was 20.

Nope. No tickets.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I don't remember the first prog show I went to, but it could have been ELP in 1972 for the Trilogy tour at the old Long Beach Arena in LB California. I was 19. I do remember my best friend's very first concert because he still talks about it to this day, which was Jethro Tull for Thick As A Brink. Apparently it blew his frickin' head off because he has been a Tull and a prog fan ever since. He was 17 or 18 at the time. ELP scrambled my brains too, and and at that moment I realized why they called Emerson "The Hendrix of keyboards."

Oh, the very first non-prog show was The Seeds in 1967 at Warren High School in Downey, California! I was 13! ...Pushing too hard, pushing too hard on me.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Don't have the ticket anymore but it was Tangerine Dream at the Beacon Theater in NYC (my first trip as a small-town boy to the Big Apple) in October '92. Saw them four times that tour and met them after the Baltimore show.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Marillion - Script Tour 1983, Dundee Caird Hall.

With Peter Hammill as support. (Lol, there were a few wags in the crowd suggesting that the running order should have been the other way round.)

First concert ever was Head East with opening bands Missouri and Morningstar in St. Louis, circa 1978, I was 14. I went with my sister (10 years older than me) who had backstage passes thanks to knowing the band (Head East), so we got in for free. Definitely not prog although some of you might enjoy Morningstar. Next two bands were Styx (Pieces of Eight tour) and Yes (second leg of the Tormatto tour), both of which cost under or around $10 if my memory is right. I don't have any of my ticket stubs any more, got rid of all of them around the time I went off to college.

First concert:
    Kayak 1973 (I think) Leiderdorp. Prog? Yes. Price? don't know, the parents of a schoolmate organised it. Ticket? No.

First was Queen in '82 at Milton Keynes Bowl.

First "prog" was Roger Waters 'Pros & Cons' at Birmingham NEC Arena, 26th June, 1984.
    I was 14 and won a pair of tickets in a National newspaper competition along with a copy of the album.

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) in 1983 on their Dazzle Ships tour. Age 15.

The first prog concert followed 1 year later with Yes on the 90125 Tour, supporting act Bugs Bunny cartoons. I loved it!

I was five and my father took me to a cncert of Roland Rashaan Kirk at some Brussels club

As my father was on the organizing team, he didn't have to buy a ticket, soooo no stub (not sure there would've been actual tickets anyway)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    this will be held against you
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

The Beatles
    August 19, 1964
    Cow Palace San Francisco ( actually Daly City )
    $6.50
    I was 12
    Don't have ticket

First prog concert: ELP May 1974 in Rotterdam; I was 15 at the time. Can't remember much of the concert other than that I was very impressed by the surround sound when the final notes of Karn Evil 9 were played.