Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAJ Review: Peter Gabriel, Back to Front: Live in London

AAJ Review: Peter Gabriel, Back to Front: Live in London

My review of Peter Gabriel, Back to Front: Live in London, today at All About Jazz.

Peter Gabriel has, for most of his career, been an artist who has never looked back. Still, the past few years have seen him reevaluating his large repertoire, between orchestral interpretations documented on New Blood: Live in London (Real World/Eagle Entertainment, 2012) and the Back to Front tour that has, since that time, celebrated the 25th anniversary of the release of So (Charisma, 1986)—the album that turned him from cult hero to (now) pop culture elder statesman. So turned out to be the best-selling record of the singer/songwriter's career, going three times platinum in the UK, five times platinum in the US, with hit songs like "Sledgehammer," whose groundbreaking video with Ardman Animations won the ex-Genesis front man MTV's 1987 Top Music Video Award and Best British Video at the 1987 Brit Awards.

Back to Front: Live in London documents Gabriel's globe-trotting tour that reunited the group that was documented in both the So: 25th Anniversary Immersion Box (Real World, 2012) and, later, Live in Athens 1987: The Full Concert (Real World/Eagle Eye Media, 2013): longstanding guitarist David Rhodes and bassist Tony Levin; drummer Manu Katche, who last toured with Gabriel for the tour in support of [i]So's follow-up, Us (Real World, 1992), and the recently reissued as Secret World Live (Real World/Eagle Entertainment, 2012); and keyboardist/guitarist David Sancious. For the Back to Front tour, Gabriel fleshed out the band with two of the best singers that have graced his stage: Jennie Abrahamson and Linnea Olson, who also adds cello to one of two new songs, "Show Yourself."

Back to Front: Live in London comes in four versions: single-disc DVD and Blu-Ray releases; and Deluxe Limited DVD and Blu-Ray editions which include, in addition to the full concert of the single-disc versions (and a bonus interview feature on the tour's stunning visuals), a second video disc of the same format with the theatrical release (as well as two bonus videos: a "DNA Mashup" of "In Your Eyes" and "FanCam recording of "This is the Picture (Excellent Birds)," omitted from the theatrical program), plus two CDs containing the full concert.

Continue reading here...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I bought just the single DVD version but am enjoying it tremendously. Great review, thanks

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Am I wrong, or was this 12" art book edition not for sale until just this week? I got the smaller-sized deluxe blu-Ray edition, which I guess is fine, but I would have liked to have known Gabriel would be selling a foot-long version.

Bump

The review states that "That Voice Again" and "Big Time" were never performed live before, but I have plenty of boots from the 86/87 shows with Big Time played, and I believe That Voice Again was played at least a few times back then...

Mike

Great review, John (as usual).

Really agreed about the strength of this band. No offense toward Ged Lynch or any of the subsequent keyboardists Gabriel has used, but...well, Manu Katche is so much more than just a timekeeper, and David Sancious has the benefit of being David Goddamned Sancious which certainly helps give him a bit of an edge.

I saw this tour around the same time I got the big So box, and watched the Athens video for the first time. Comparing Athens to Back 2 Front...it is true, they are all older and don't jump around as much. But IMHO that chemistry is absolutely still there. Glad PG was able to pull the crew together for this one, and we all have a killer release to reflect the good times.

And yeah...We Do What We're Told was awesome live.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    ... the release of So (Charisma, 1986)—the album that turned him from cult hero to (now) pop culture elder statesman.
    The album where he went from, finally, making some interesting music to making commercial pap.

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    The review states that "That Voice Again" and "Big Time" were never performed live before, but I have plenty of boots from the 86/87 shows with Big Time played, and I believe That Voice Again was played at least a few times back then...

Mike
    If so, my bad. I saw the band three times and neither song was played....didnt check boots, but I suppose, at the very least, these were rarely played. I can update, with thanks, to "rarely performed." Would that work?

Have adjusted to this

The decision to cut the theatrical version down, not just chopping five tunes from the complete set list, but most importantly three songs from the second set (a performance of So from start to finish, plus two encores), is certainly questionable, especially since "That Voice Again" and "Big Time" have rarely been performed live before—certainly never found on any previously released live album or video—leaving the darkly curious "We Do What We're Told (Miligram's 37)" as the only song from So that exists in the theatrical version as a song from the album that's never been heard (or, at least, previously documented) before in concert.
    I think that's accurate, yes? Many thanks for the correction; always prefer to be right, so always appreciate when folks chime in with corrections.

Best!
    John
    Last edited by jkelman; 08-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    The album where he went from, finally, making some interesting music to making commercial pap.
    Can't agree. While less experimental (and, with So, most intentionally so), Us and especially Up were far from commercial pap. yeah, each had a hit or two, but there were also plenty of more outré tracks. I think the opening track on Up pretty much set the tone for something totally unexpected.

Can't agree. While less experimental (and, with So, most intentionally so), Us and especially Up were far from commercial pap. yeah, each had a hit or two, but there were also plenty of more outré tracks. I think the opening track on Up pretty much set the tone for something totally unexpected.
    Also, if you watch him do Mercy Street on the Athens film - it's damned powerful, and very Gabriel. People who want pap wouldn't sit through it.

The whole Athens concert, aside from the wardrobe, has aged quite well.

Also, does pop = pap? Because if Gabriel's pop is pap, then most pop is pap. Which is fine as long as there's no pop you like.

If so, my bad. I saw the band three times and neither song was played....didnt check boots, but I suppose, at the very least, these were rarely played. I can update, with thanks, to "rarely performed." Would that work?

Have adjusted to this

I think that's accurate, yes? Many thanks for the correction; always prefer to be right, so always appreciate when folks chime in with corrections.

Best!
    John
    It's all good. I have been given a boatload of various Gabriel boots, so even though I missed the So tour, I've heard lots of versions of shows from that tour.

Appreciate your willingness to be open to corrections, it's the sign of an open mind.

I still need to pick up this set, I don't know why I haven't yet! I saw the cinema screening of the show, and enjoyed it a lot.

Mike

I'd take Love Beach or Asia over So any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I'd take Love Beach or Asia over So any day of the week.
    Well, Gabriel definitely didn't create the album with fans of either of those in mind, Mathias, so it's not surprising it doesn't satisfy you in the same way as those.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, if you watch him do Mercy Street on the Athens film - it's damned powerful, and very Gabriel. People who want pap wouldn't sit through it.

The whole Athens concert, aside from the wardrobe, has aged quite well.
    Agree completely!

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    It's all good. I have been given a boatload of various Gabriel boots, so even though I missed the So tour, I've heard lots of versions of shows from that tour.

Appreciate your willingness to be open to corrections, it's the sign of an open mind.
    Thanks, Mike. While I am a prog fan right back to the day (a child of late '60s early '70s), I am also a fan of so much other stuff - in particular the jazz that currently occupies most of my writing - that I know there are folks here who know more nitty gritty details than I. It's one of the reasons I joined, thanks to Rotters Club - as much to learn as to contribute; hopefully I've managed to be successful on both counts.. I do know I've learned plenty.
    Cheers!
    John

Excellent review as always. Thanks.

Just one little nitpick: Manu Katche was still on board for the Secret World tour up to '94. I definitely agree that he's the most amazing drummer PG's been fortunate enough to have (no slight to Lynch and Marotta).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Excellent review as always. Thanks.

Just one little nitpick: Manu Katche was still on board for the Secret World tour up to '94. I definitely agree that he's the most amazing drummer PG's been fortunate enough to have (no slight to Lynch and Marotta).
    Thanks, Phil, for the kind words. WRT Manu, I know he stayed on for Secret World Live...where did I say he left after this tour (if I said it, I seem to be missing it)...or does it simply suggest that when I say 'since Katché's departure"?

Lemme know...if a real mistake will happily fix.

I'm sorry. I think it was:

with Katché back in the fold tracks like "No Self Control," "Sledgehammer," "Big Time" and "Digging in the Dirt" are simply more visceral and booty-shaking than they've been since 1987.

...which doesn't imply his absence in the meantime, now that I read it more closely. Nevermind.

(I haven't actually compared the booty-shaking-ness of the two DVDs directly, but this was a nice reminder that Secret World is always due for a revisit every so often--looks like it's been long enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm sorry. I think it was:

with Katché back in the fold tracks like "No Self Control," "Sledgehammer," "Big Time" and "Digging in the Dirt" are simply more visceral and booty-shaking than they've been since 1987.

...which doesn't imply his absence in the meantime, now that I read it more closely. Nevermind.

(I haven't actually compared the booty-shaking-ness of the two DVDs directly, but this was a nice reminder that Secret World is always due for a revisit every so often--looks like it's been long enough.)
    Even though Manu, David & Tony were on SWL, without Sancious and with a bigger group I don't think Gabriel ever had a better band than on the So tour...and now, the Back to Front. Although I like his choice of singers just fine, I actually would have preferred he'd done as he did and do without....he did just fine singing "Don't Give Up" on his own on the original tour, IMO. Never liked Paula Cole..and his daughter? ugh.

So while SWL is very good, I still don't think Gabriel ever surpassed this group musically. He may have put on more ambitious shows theatrically (as Back to Front most certainly was), but he never had a band this good....Sancious added some real church in "Don't Give Up" for example, and more soul on "Sledgehammer" than Gabriel ever had subsequently., even though his keyboardists all has the same patches and played largely the same parts. There's a difference......subtle but there.

I don't think Gabriel ever had a better band than on the So tour... while SWL is very good, I still don't think Gabriel ever surpassed this group musically.
    Ah, now that's much clearer. I think I can agree (and you're right, it's more than Manu that makes the difference). SWL is my favorite video, but that's down to the whole package.... the vibe, the stage show & visuals and the fact that it's got more of my favorite songs. It's a different question taking them just on musical terms, and it's been taking me a little time to realize just what a difference Sancious makes.

Manu is simply - superb. The band is stellar and the quality of arrangements and performance is top notch. I listen to this a lot.

i got this a few weeks back and really enjoy it. great show.

Can anyone tell me if there's a deluxe Blu-Ray edition of this that's in a book about 12" square or is there only the smallish one that's about 5" x 7"? In the photo in John's review it looks like 12" x 12" but what I have is a smaller version. Maybe the photo was an inaccurate promo photo?

a great show and DVD. my favorite from PG.
    love how the show starts with the house lights on, then it gets dark......
    PG is the master when it comes to visual affects in his live shows.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own the single BR disc. John's review and this thread cost me $45 (USD) for the deluxe 4 disc version (lol). Peter Gabriel is at the top of my respect for musicians and has never really disappointed me. I'm sure I'll enjoy the deluxe version - it looks great on John's website.