Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Opeth - Pale Communion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm in
    Oh yeah! Having your way with one of those Vermont hookers while taking a slug from a maple-leaf shaped bottle of syrup!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    I just read this from Mikael:

The Opeth frontman also reveals the vocal harmonies on their latest album Pale Communion, which entered the UK album charts at No.14, were inspired by David Crosby.

He adds: “I was listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and was introduced to David Crosby by Steven Wilson, who played me his first solo record. He’s a master of vocal harmonies. I picked up on that and there was a time when I was writing where I figured I wanted to do harmony vocals all the way through.”

No question. There's a lot of CSN&Y-style harmony on this album. At first, I didn't know what to think, but after ten plays...good move...
    This is interesting and not surprising. Many Porcupine Tree songs wear their CSN&Y influence on their sleeve, and some of that carried across to the Storm Corrosion release. I was also not the first to comment that Storm Corrosion was slightly reminiscent of Simon and Garfunkel Personally I have no problem whatsoever with that.

The more I read about Pale Communion, both the good and bad comments, the more I think it is going to be right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I think there should be both. If everyone posts only what they like, what if someone buys something because everyone says it's good, but nobody mentioned one thing that ruins an album for that buyer?
    I could care less if people buy it.
    I thought this was a message board to state opinions, but I guess I don't get that right.
    I used to be on PE a lot more, but then I started hating people being rude for no reason, so I was gone for a while, now I check it maybe twice a week. I thought it may have changed,but I was wrong. People are still rude...which makes me rude, and I'm sure there are a few people here who remember how much of an asshole I can turn into when people tell me I'm posting things to be "selfish" or that I've already posted that I don't like the album.
    Oh yeah, did I mention I don't like this new Opeth album?
    I don't think what I said was rude. It's just negative opinions seems to ring louder tha positive ones. I just don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive on this message board, although to be fair I don't comb every thread looking for who said what. The fact that I recognized you as always making/repeating negative comments proves my point.

Anyways, that's JUST my opinion/observation as we both have the right to express our thoughts. Let's keep this civil as I see you're already on the verge of cussing out those whose opinions on this matter conflict with yours.
    Last edited by marblesmike; 09-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Here comes another negative remark

I'm a big Opeth fan, but I reckon there's a certain trait of repetition in the mellow/acoustic instrumental parts of Opeth's songs that since long bothers me somethings. I seem to recall that they are quite abundant on Deliverance. On Pale Communion it can be found in the organ part of Eternal Rains beginning at 2:35 where the (Bo Hansson LOTR sounding) theme repeats itself in a short loop over and over again - to my taste a bit too many times.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Actually marblesmike, I have been talking only about this album.
    Yes, I don't like a lot of things about it, but I do like the drums.
    You marblesmike were the one who started taking things personal, so don't make me out to be the guy who is going to start swearing, because I think you are the one with the problem.

Actually marblesmike, I have been talking only about this album.
    Yes, I don't like a lot of things about it, but I do like the drums.
    You marblesmike were the one who started taking things personal, so don't make me out to be the guy who is going to start swearing, because I think you are the one with the problem.
    Seriously? Personal attacks now? I didn't say you had a problem. I just expressed my opinion/observation (while also admitting I could be wrong) that I've never seen you post any positive thoughts on this forum.

I was very civil with my thoughts. Again, let's be nice. And you already sweared by referring to people as 'a**holes' so don't act like I'm the one starting stuff.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong with negative opinions. I was just observing that sometimes repeating negative opinions over and over again might result in people getting annoyed. That's it.
    Last edited by marblesmike; 09-11-2014 at 11:54 AM.

While I enjoyed it quite a bit the first 4 or 5 times I listened to it, I haven't had any overarching desire to listen to it again in the last week.

FYI, someone mentioned, earlier on, issues with the Blue-Ray disc. I haven't even tried it yet, but I just got this from Roadrunner Records:

---
    We apologize for the recent error that was found in your Opeth Blu-Ray disc. We are taking action to replace this product for you as soon as possible. Since you previously purchased from us you do not have to take any further action to receive your replacement disc. The new blu-ray will be sent out on or before September 30th to the address that we shipped your order to originally.
    ---

Nice that they're shipping it out without asking for the defective one to be shipped back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    ---

Nice that they're shipping it out without asking for the defective one to be shipped back.
    I wonder if I'll get one. I did go online and registered to get the bonus track downloads, but I bought my copy in a brick and mortar.

Also, when I got the bonus tracks it seemed like there was also expected to be some further unspecified bonus material that was not yet available. Anyone know anything about this? I wish I had taken screenshots...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Seriously? Personal attacks now? I didn't say you had a problem. I just expressed my opinion/observation (while also admitting I could be wrong) that I've never seen you post any positive thoughts on this forum.

I was very civil with my thoughts. Again, let's be nice. And you already sweared by referring to people as 'a**holes' so don't act like I'm the one starting stuff.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong with negative opinions. I was just observing that sometimes repeating negative opinions over and over again might result in people getting annoyed. That's it.
    You are the one making this personal and getting defensive.
    Also, I never swore at anyone, I said that I could be an asshole when people irritated me on PE.
    I never repeated a negative opinion, all the posts I have left had different reasons why I did not like the album.
    The only thing repeated was that I like the drums...which is one of those positive thoughts you say I NEVER post.

I would also like to point out that I posted what I liked and didn't like about their albums from the second one through this one.
    But most people here don't care about those albums...because of the death vocals

Suspended
    Geez, guys, give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Geez, guys, give it a rest.
    Or go duke it out in the chat room. You're boring the Opeth fans to death.

I would also like to point out that I posted what I liked and didn't like about their albums from the second one through this one.
    But most people here don't care about those albums...because of the death vocals
    I love most of the stuff from MAYH and Pale Communion.

You are the one making this personal and getting defensive.
    Also, I never swore at anyone, I said that I could be an asshole when people irritated me on PE.
    I never repeated a negative opinion, all the posts I have left had different reasons why I did not like the album.
    The only thing repeated was that I like the drums...which is one of those positive thoughts you say I NEVER post.
    Okay we'll agree to disagree. Truce.

I'm good
    Truce.
    Did I mention the drums are amazing?

way to go boys! I love a happy ending

And yeah, Axe kicks ass on this album for sure. I loved Lopez, but Axe seems to have a lighter sensibility for the work they're doing now yes? And when the song calls for it, can unleash the beast too!

So does anyone know what the blue ray disc flaw involves??

chalkpie
    Agreed on Axe's playing - he is a really fuckin' good player. Not sure if he plays proper jazz/bebop, but I could see this cat playing in just about any variety of muzak out there. I would love to hear him in an avant/RIO situation and see what he's made of.

chalkpie
    This showed up on my YT account today oddly enough.

Axe's drumming on "Lines In My Hand" on Heritage floored me. I really liked Lopez but his replacement is pretty damn solid.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    way to go boys! I love a happy ending

And yeah, Axe kicks ass on this album for sure. I loved Lopez, but Axe seems to have a lighter sensibility for the work they're doing now yes? And when the song calls for it, can unleash the beast too!

So does anyone know what the blue ray disc flaw involves??
    Phase is reversed on the front left and LFE (subwoofer) track.

Ah...ok...i'll see if i can hear the dif! These old ears may not know whats missing! Thanks!

For those of you with the faulty 5.1 bluray, the reissue process seems to be underway.

Fortunately I kept the download voucher, so I was able to use the code to enable me to be put on the reissue mailing list. An email came last night with another code to enter on a new webpage, which then took mailing details.

Looks like the corrected disc will ship around 10 October.

I emailed Warner because I had not received any email about the replacement disc. Apparently I will be part of the next "wave" which will be coming shortly.
    <sig out of order>

So if I buy the album now will it come with the replacement disc? The problem I have is that I currently don't have a Blu-Ray player so would have no way of knowing if the disc is good or not till I get a Blu-Ray player. Is there perhaps a different marking on the disc to be able to tell the difference between the old disc and the new one?

Bob G