Thread: Question For Chicago Area Proggers

Question For Chicago Area Proggers

Quick question for the Chicago prog gang. Myself and a couple of others are coming down to the Yes concert a week from Saturday at a place called The Copernicus Center. I have never been to this venue and have a couple of questions.

1. Are there places within walking distance of the venue to have a few drinks / food before the show?

2. What is the parking situation?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Quick question for the Chicago prog gang. Myself and a couple of others are coming down to the Yes concert a week from Saturday at a place called The Copernicus Center. I have never been to this venue and have a couple of questions.

1. Are there places within walking distance of the venue to have a few drinks / food before the show?
    2. What is the parking situation?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve, you can find free street parking on Lawrence, and there are meters on a variety of the streets. The Copernicus Center will offer a pay lot right on their property. It is a safe area. If you scroll to the bottom of this link, they show their parking map.

http://copernicuscenter.org/directions-parking/

The Gale Street Inn has been there forever, it's well-known in Chicago, and it has a decent beer list. It is one block away. It can get crowded with a show at the Copernicus. Others can chime in if there are any others within walking distance.

http://www.galestreet.com/index.html

http://copernicuscenter.org/dining-hotel/

The Copernicus Center is the Polish Cultural Center, it is a gorgeous theatre with plush seats, open sight lines and a good sound system. The Center itself sells alcohol, and you can freely walk around the place with it.
    Their beer list:
    Miller Lite
    Pilsner Urquel (Czech)
    Okocim (Polish)
    Zywiec (Polish)
    Tyskie Beer – can
    Odouls – bottle

http://copernicuscenter.org/about-us/

I am on the fence about going, but I see tickets are selling well.

Cool, thanks for the info.

From what I have been seeing in the news is that you're crazy for even going outside at night in Chicago.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    From what I have been seeing in the news is that you're crazy for even going outside at night in Chicago. Good luck
    Last night in Chicago, all outdoor events, 30,000 music fans saw Billy Joel at Wrigley field, the same amount will see Blake Shelton perform tonight. Phish played last night in front of 25,000 fans, they will draw the same tonight and Sunday. The Pitchfork Festival attracts over 50,000 people this weekend.
    46 million tourists come to Chicago each year. You will not see these facts on the nightly news.

From what I have been seeing in the news is that you're crazy for even going outside at night in Chicago.

Good luck
    Been to Chicago many times and never had a problem.

Been to Chicago many times and never had a problem.
    Same here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Same here.
    Besides, I spend a lot of time in Detroit.......Chicago is an oasis of sanity in comparison.......

Besides, I spend a lot of time in Detroit.......Chicago is an oasis of sanity in comparison.......
    That's indeed accurate.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Good luck
    The Copernicus Center is in a good North/West side neighborhood, nowhere near where all the drive-by shooting that you see in the news. Chicago is really a huge city with countless outstretching suburban areas, that are a part of the gigantic collective whole, known as Chicago. The show is really in Jefferson Park, but typically people will say "it's in Chicago". Even though you're pretty far out from downtown Chicago. The sprawling south side neighborhoods beyond downtown Chicago, are what you want to avoid. That's the hood.

Isn't Marie's Pizza pretty close to this? It's a CLASSIC.

http://www.mariespizzachicago.com/Ma...s/Welcome.html
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 07-22-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Last night in Chicago, all outdoor events, 30,000 music fans saw Billy Joel at Wrigley field, the same amount will see Blake Shelton perform tonight. Phish played last night in front of 25,000 fans, they will draw the same tonight and Sunday. The Pitchfork Festival attracts over 50,000 people this weekend.
    46 million tourists come to Chicago each year. You will not see these facts on the nightly news.
    Well said Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Isn't Marie's Pizza pretty close to this? It's a CLASSIC.

http://www.mariespizzachicago.com/Ma...s/Welcome.html
    Looks like the same street, but I have no clue how far away.

Pretty close... 4100 and 5200

and where is Aziola Cry? I was hoping for a 3rd CD by now. Did Pelican grab them to reformat their lineup?

I lived in the burbs for the first 13 years of my life and in the city for the last 47 (not counting two miserable years in L.A.). I've never been robbed or beaten or shot at, or even been a witness to any of that happening to someone else. And yes, I definitely do get out much. As with any big city, you just have to know what neighborhoods to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I lived in the burbs for the first 13 years of my life and in the city for the last 47 (not counting two miserable years in L.A.). I've never been robbed or beaten or shot at, or even been a witness to any of that happening to someone else. And yes, I definitely do get out much. As with any big city, you just have to know what neighborhoods to avoid.
    Absorb this sage-like wisdom, folks.

Growing up in the inner city in NYC, and also living in SF for a while, as Ernie says, the most important thing to learn right away is where not to go, and in many cases, when not to go there. Many inner city neighborhoods are safe with the sun, but bring monsters with the moon.