Thread: Would Peter Gabriel have made it without make-up?

Would Peter Gabriel have made it without make-up?

Hey, it's no worse than the other ?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Looking at the early video's (the few that there are) the band probably would have fared better and attracted a larger audience (or at least a somewhat different one) without those over the top theatrics and wierd haircuts.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Would Cheryl Tiegs have made it without makeup?

On the one hand, you don't have to know what he looked like on stage to appreciate the brilliance of those 1st few Genesis albums. On the other, I must admit I bought my 1st Genesis album "Genesis Live" because of the cover photo
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Not with me.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Would Marilyn Manson have made it without makeup?

I've never heard an MM song.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Would Marilyn Manson have made it without makeup?

I've never heard an MM song.
    He does have a good guitarist.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Looking at the early video's (the few that there are) the band probably would have fared better and attracted a larger audience (or at least a somewhat different one) without those over the top theatrics and wierd haircuts.
    Perhaps, but would the legend have been borne without them?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think he probably could have achieved cult status without the theatrics. Could he have been bigger? I think he could have been a bigger pop star, given how successful his solo singles were during the 80's.

Gabriel is a genius so---Yeah he would have made it---think the makeup was somewhat of a distraction---and Marilyn Manson did have an original sound but like Alice Cooper very tied into his makeup.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I do think Gabriel may have hurt them a bit with that haircut (the Death Star trench). He was a decent looking, charismatic frontman, but that haircut was ugly, and seemed to come at a crucial time. I hate it.