Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Weird Al' Yankovic On Parody In The Age Of YouTube

'Weird Al' Yankovic On Parody In The Age Of YouTube

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/12/329873...age-of-youtube

He's got his "last" album coming out. You may have seen some of the videos. Foil gave me some serious chuckles. I'm lazy and not embedding the videos but they are up if you so choose.

I've always liked this guy. He's got a good sense of what is going on, whether it be the song he's spoofing, the pop culture aspect of it, or real world junk. Not unlike any good comedian, really. He just uses music with accordion.

Thanks for posting! I've been a fan of his since my childhood. I remember hearing years ago when he asked Kurt Cobain about his thoughts on him possibly wanting to release a song called Smells Like Nirvana, Kurt's response was something like: "It's not going to be about food, is it?" To which Al responded with something to the effect of: " Actually it's about how no one can understand your lyrics or even discern what you're singing." No offense if you're a Nirvana fan.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

thanks from me too. That was really interesting. He was also very interesting on Shatner's Raw Nerve too. A very talented & humble cat.

"Amish Paradise" is my favorite Weird Al parody; followed closely by "Brainfreeze"...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Word Crimes is the best of the 3 videos released so far.

He's a pretty damn good singer, really, when he wants to be.

Amish Paradise was one of the best parodies EVER. I still laugh my ass off at that. Jeopardy was great too. And Fat live was unbelievable.
    I saw him around 1997 and it was an incredible show. I don't know how he changed outfits so damn fast.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

And he can sorta kinda do prog, too.

Well, it's a deliberate Zappa homage, but STILL...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Never heard that! It's almost genius but kind of runs out of steam 1/3 through... great guitar tone.

Saw Weird Al in concert a couple times - once in Miami for the Hurricane Andrew Benefit (where Gloria Estefan's friggin' kid's magic act got more stage time than Asia did...)...and once at the Arizona State Fair. There, my daughter was highly disturbed by his "Truth or Dare"-style performance of "Like a Surgeon" ...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Word Crimes is the best of the 3 videos released so far.
    This is the one I've seen, very clever! The animation is great in this. I'm guilty of a few of these word crimes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Never heard that! It's almost genius but kind of runs out of steam 1/3 through... great guitar tone.
    Dweezil Zappa plays the opening guitar solo on this track.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Dweezil Zappa plays the opening guitar solo on this track.
    I wondered about that... that guy in Al's band is just incredible at mimicking people though. And the drummer too... dang

Of the five vids released so far (three more to go) I liked these the most:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

It was bound to happen, but I always feared the age when I didn't know what songs Weird Al was parodying.

It was bound to happen, but I always feared the age when I didn't know what songs Weird Al was parodying.
    You ain't alone, Fred.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Hey, I'm there deliberately. I thought "Handy" would be a parody of "Happy" - one pop phenom even I couldn't escape.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Inevitable.

That Tacky video was interesting. Looks like two shots, maybe even one but I'd bet they did a cut in the elevator. Seems to be the where it wouldn't be noticed. Since I don't know the source song the song was only mildly interesting but the video made it a little more so.

I'm ok not knowing the original of songs like that one. That people actually like that astounds me.

"Happy" is everywhere. Or maybe it seems that way because I have a 10 year old. I think it was in Despicable Me 2, right? It's actually a decent song. It certainly has a hook, and some DNA from actual R&B. I'd happily listen to it all day long if it means I don't have to hear Demi Lovato, One Direction or any of that crap.

350 MILLION views. Dang.

It's actually a decent song. It certainly has a hook, and some DNA from actual R&B.
    That was my take as well. It's a pleasant R&B pop song. Like some of those Al Green songs, it's made to be positive, upbeat, and utterly inoffensive. They succeeded by me anyway, because outside of the force-fed ubiquity of it, I've got nothing bad to say about it.

"Happy" is everywhere. Or maybe it seems that way because I have a 10 year old. I think it was in Despicable Me 2, right? It's actually a decent song. It certainly has a hook, and some DNA from actual R&B. I'd happily listen to it all day long if it means I don't have to hear Demi Lovato, One Direction or any of that crap.
    There was a tv show a few years back, heck if I can remember what it was, that had a funny running joke about Demi Lovato. Wish I could remember that show, anyway, it was really funny to me as I knew not who she was. Still don't know a thing about her, wouldn't even know if I came upon her on the street.

There are some things I'd rather be ignorant of.

Interview tonight on AXS Tom Green show. 9 P.M. Eastern.

#1 album on the Billboard charts.
    http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973