Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Samurai LP

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Another one of your reissues which miraculously hasn't been mentioned in this thread (although it was in another recent one), is We Are Everything You See by Locomotive. Although more strictly based around the binary song-form than Web's I Spider and the Samurai album, there's that slightly soul-infected and jazzy harmonics thing going on which would probably appeal to the OP. Great album!
    I somehow only came across this within the last few years, and it's probably the best new discovery of that time for me. Has really jumped to being an all-time favorite. You hit it perfectly with the soul/jazz influence making it a really unique album within the framework of some just downright catchy songwriting. One of those albums that is truly a cohesive whole that takes you on a trip from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    ]
    the a-side of this album is fantastic; the flipside much less so, though
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Agreed. Another proto-prog band with excellent singing was Beggars Opera. None of their albums were masterpieces IMO, but the first three do contain a couple of classic tracks each, and Martin Griffiths' vocals were uniformly great.
    I tend to think Beggar's Opera are hit and miss - I myself love to really like those first three in descending order, but you really have to take them with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I think they're incredibly fun listens with a lot of great playing, but the circus aspect can be a bit overwhelming.

But how can you not like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    LOVE that one - no matter how silly they (you know who) think it is.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I tend to think Beggar's Opera are hit and miss - I myself love to really like those first three in descending order, but you really have to take them with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I think they're incredibly fun listens with a lot of great playing, but the circus aspect can be a bit overwhelming.

I really like the first 3 Beggars Opera LPs - but the one song I don't like is MacArthur Park(although it is better than Richard Harris' version).

I myself love to really like those first three
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I really like the first 3 Beggars Opera LPs - but the one song I don't like is MacArthur Park(although it is better than Richard Harris' version).
    +3
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quatermass - "Quatermass" (1970) - 3 votes (Calabasas_Trafalgar, Galactic Bulldozer, Esoteric)

Marsupilami - "Marsupilami" (1970) - 2 votes (ashratom, Progbear)
    Second Hand - "Death May Be Your Santa Claus" (1971) - 2 votes (Scrotum Scissor, spacefreak)

Baba Scholae - "69" (1969) - 1 vote (TheH)
    T2 - "It'll All Work Out in Boomland" (1970) - 1 vote (jay.dee)
    Gracious - "Gracious!" (1970) - 1 vote (Levgan)
    Web - "I, Spider" (1970) - 1 vote (JJ88)
    Fields - "Fields" (1971) - 1 vote (mogrooves)
    Cressida - "Asylum" (1971) - 1 vote (Pr33t)
    Spring - "Spring" (1971) - 1 vote (Modry Effekt)
    Gnidrolog - "Lady Lake" (1972) - 1 vote (Trane)
    Fantasy - "Paint A Picture" (1973) - 1 vote (moecurlythanu)

I am duly checking the submitted proposals unbeknownst to me and I have already found a few pearls strewn on these shores...

Gnidrolog - In Spite of Harry's Toenail
    There is a good theatrical quality to that one, which I like very much. I also dig the economical use of notes, which saves me from an embarrassment of riches, so typical in high-brow music genres...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCud8H7z7vU

Fuchsia - Fuchsia
    Sindelfingen - Odgipig
    You dig folk, don't you? Fuchsia is gorgeously subtle and tender, although with a few sudden twists and surprises. An excellent item for the collection, especially when one cannot choose between Renaissance and Nick Drake. Another one to buy and this goes right to the top of my wish list.

Sindelfingen is probably not something I would consider acquiring, yet I cannot help but appreciate such troubadour ensembles. However, every time I need to scratch the minstrel itch, I usually prefer paying a visit to sweetly disneyesque Tudor Lodge to rambling with Gryphon or Fruupp.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Catapilla - s/t
    The instrumental parts are nothing short of terrific, but when the vocal enters the stage... Oh my, this quickly climbs the top of my "unbearable vocal performances" list, right behind the first Zephyr album, where Candy Givens tried to impersonate Janis Joplin, with the voice reminiscent of Grace Slick.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-26-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    You dig folk, don't you? Fuchsia is gorgeously subtle and tender, although with a few sudden twists and surprises. An excellent item for the collection, especially when one cannot choose between Renaissance and Nick Drake.
    One of the best examples of the progressive folk UK underground is Principal Edwards Magic Theatre's debut "Soundtrack".

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The instrumental parts are nothing short of terrific, but when the vocal enters the stage... Oh my, this quickly climbs the top of my "unbearable vocal performances" list, right behind the first Zephyr album, where Candy Givens tried to impersonate Janis Joplin, with the voice reminiscent of Grace Slick.
    I think their second one Changes is better and Annas vocals on this one are really good. It reminds me a little of Gong.

Casting Shadows – Fusion Orchestra 2

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I missed this altogether- but looks like something I'd be interested in picking up on CD. Definitely was released without fanfare. There's one rating on RYM and it's not in Gnosis (yet). Thanks for the heads up!
    Here's message from FO2 keyboard player Ben Bell:

We tried to generate as much of a fanfare as we could but this was an
    independent release rather than one backed by a label, so we do feel a bit
    like an unmiked singer trying to be heard above the noise of everyone else's
    10kW backline

The album has just recently made it to Spotify for those who are of a streamy
    persuasion, and is digitally available on Amazon and iTunes. The best place
    to get it at the moment is the band's website (www.fusionorchestra2.com) because there's currently a
    special anniversary edition which comes with a free bonus CD, including an extra
    track and some live versions of original Skeleton In Armour material.

There's a sampler on the website and some clips on youtube and probably
    pirate versions kicking around too, but it's a prog album and short clips
    never really did prog justice, so if anyone's interested PM me and I'll
    send you a private link to a track to make up your minds.

Ben (FO2 keys and faders)

I think if you listen to her in the context of being the female equivalent of Peter Hammill(or the guys from Gnidrolog)your appreciation may increase greatly. Or not.

You dig folk, don't you? Fuchsia is gorgeously subtle and tender, although with a few sudden twists and surprises. An excellent item for the collection, especially when one cannot choose between Renaissance and Nick Drake. Another one to buy and this goes right to the top of my wish list.
    I've always looked at Fuchsia as one of the more rocking of the folk/rock albums. Something like The Nothing Song has a nice edge to it. One of the more underrated albums in this style.

One I'm surprised to see get no love is Still Life. They had all the credentials: A singer(Paul Howells) who sounded remarkably like Paul Davis of Gracious, a great keyboard player who sounded like Peter Jennings of Cressida, and they were on Vertigo. And they came from a band, The Rainbows, which also featured a pre-Nektar Roye Albrighton. What's not to love?

One I'm surprised to see get no love is Still Life. They had all the credentials: A singer(Paul Howells) who sounded remarkably like Paul Davis of Gracious, a great keyboard player who sounded like Peter Jennings of Cressida, and they were on Vertigo. And they came from a band, The Rainbows, which also featured a pre-Nektar Roye Albrighton. What's not to love?
    Lots to love. One of the absolute best "Hammond-heavy" UK albums next to Quatermass and the second Rare Bird, with good tunes and excellent vocals.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Did The Way We Live/Tractor get a mention yet?

Great UK underground vibe, some fey lyrics here and there (thats the territory of course) but great tunes and some ripping guitar work and all just two guys.

If anyone is still counting votes mine would go to Gnidrolog, both of whose albums I dig big style esp the second one. Great bass player though a bit of a marmite singer....you love him or hate him. Also count me in for Locomotive.

Still Life.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    The Way We Live/Tractor
    +1...and I also dug them on Beau's album.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes