Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Dog Night

Three Dog Night

any fans? surprisingly they're still around with 4 of the original 7 members.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I loved them back in the day. thought they were great on the first Dick Clarks' New Year's Rocking Eve. you've inspired me to listen to them again!

I recently bought 3 of their 45s at a yard sale for 25cents each and have been really enjoying them.I didn't realize what's a good band they were. I heard them a lot on the radio as a youngster. They ruled the pop airwaves in the early 70s.

Great band for the times.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Ironically, could never really deal with the singers but the band was just killer. Especially for those days.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Ironically, could never really deal with the singers but the band was just killer. Especially for those days.
    interesting perspective.. i felt just the opposite. i thought the 3 singers were all very good but i always had the feeling that the band was substandard and not exactly on the consciousness of music fans as being particularly great musicians. probably wrong but let's face it, had anybody ever heard of any of these guys back then? heck they had a black rock drummer which is a bit of a rarity.

Unevensong - Camel

I had one of their live albums on vinyl way back in the day and always liked it.

Three Dog Night Captured Live at the Forum is a stone cold classic!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Any band with a vocalist whose penis explodes is ok by me!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Three Dog Night Captured Live at the Forum is a stone cold classic!!!
    That's the one.

Suspended
    3DN were a competent enough band. As far as I know, they were interpreters of other people's songs, so the quality of the music depended on the particular choice of song. They did a few that I loved: Out in the Country, Easy To Be Hard, One... and a few that made me cringe, like Joy to the World, not one of Hoyt Axton's better songs. They had a tendency to lapse into Rolling Stones style blues rock, OK if you like that sort of thing, but not my cuppa.

I never really thought of Three Dog Night as a "band" I thought they were, well "three" dudes who sang with a backing band> Yeah I'm familiar with all the radio hits. They were probably as prolific as CCR back in the early 70s. Every other song on the radio was a Three Dog Night song. Never bought their records or even considered it. I always kinda thought they were a little too cornball.

I know a lot of folks here loathe Joy To The World. It was absolutely played into the ground back in the day. As a mobile DJ, there were numerous times where, at a wedding reception, it would be later in the evening and the dancers were getting very tired. This was often my "go to" song in those situations, because even if the dancers were sitting, they would often all sing it at the top of their lungs.
    On a few rare occasions, I would have a group with some very good singers. The harmonies that come out of the descending line on the chorus are killer with the right singers.
    This band had a lot of hits.

They had enough good tunes to merit my having their greatest hits cd.

Works for me.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    a few that made me cringe, like Joy to the World, not one of Hoyt Axton's better songs.
    just the opposite for me. Great melody and goofy lyrics = fun IMO.

I didn't know or forgot that they did Joy to the World. Looking at their hits, they're all so doofy. Why did this band have groupies? (That's how Negron's penis exploded.)

Another of my favorite tunes by them is "Rock and Roll Widow", which is on the "It Ain't Easy" album. This a group-penned tune based on a killer riff with great vocals. I always thought guitarist Michael Allsup was a great lyrical player with taste and tone to spare. Listen to the "Live at the Forum" record and hear him at his best!

To me the reason the band was great was that they came up with very tasty arrangements to largely forgettable songs.

To me the reason the band was great was that they came up with very tasty arrangements to largely forgettable songs.
    always liked the 3/4 time electric piano in Mama Told Me on top of what is otherwise a 4/4 tune.

Unevensong - Camel

Love 3DN. One of the great pop groups.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

That is a very good way to describe them.

I played their first two LP's a lot. My guitar teacher told me to forget that 'crap' and listen to Albert King and Jimi Hendrix. As much as I love music of all flavors I have a warm spot in my heart for well produced pop music. I still think the first LP holds up pretty well and has some intelligent choices of covers- Check them all out! I heard Chest Fever by Three Dog Night before I heard the Band. They were covering the Beatles, Traffic, Neil Young, Johnny Guitar Watson, Laura Nyro, Randy Newman, Harry Nilsson, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, you name it.

My ex-wife dated Chuck Negron's brother Taylor in high school. He didn't like girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    My ex-wife dated Chuck Negron's brother Taylor in high school. He didn't like girls.
    brother or cousin? Taylor the actor i believe is his cousin.

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Unlike Chuck who liked girls so much that his penis literally burst.