Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rupert Hine

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What are his origins?
    His birth inside a volcano made him a freak of nature. He vowed revenge on all mankind. His battles with the Fantastic Four are the stuff of legend. His pet octopus Bertrand once held Parliament hostage for 7 weeks.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    One thing that was really great was a single he did, called "Snakes Don't Dance Fast". I've got the 45 of it somewhere, probably in storage.
    I understand that was done entirely with vocal sounds; in the pre-digital sampling days, not an easy task.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    My fave Hine production was the 3rd album by Jonesy, "Growing"
    I had no idea Rupert produced that...and I own it! (I just know the Ken Elliott connection, apparently he joined after this as their full time keyboardist. A shame Jamie Kaleth had to leave; I loved his singing voice, the other guy not so much.) My favourite Jonesy album is Keeping Up; it’s a really excellent and underrated disc. I kind of liked the “garage band version of early KC” on No Alternative, but the other two are really on a whole other level. Growing is a bit messy what with throwing in all these disparate musical ideas (saxophones, strings, synthesizers, etc.) to see what sticks. But I liked that they took chances like that. I still need to hear that previously unreleased fourth album (though like I said before, I feel like I’ll miss Jamie Kaleth’s vocal presence).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yes, that's correct. It was quite remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I had no idea Rupert produced that...and I own it! (I just know the Ken Elliott connection, apparently he joined after this as their full time keyboardist. A shame Jamie Kaleth had to leave; I loved his singing voice, the other guy not so much.) My favourite Jonesy album is Keeping Up; it’s a really excellent and underrated disc. I kind of liked the “garage band version of early KC” on No Alternative, but the other two are really on a whole other level. Growing is a bit messy what with throwing in all these disparate musical ideas (saxophones, strings, synthesizers, etc.) to see what sticks. But I liked that they took chances like that. I still need to hear that previously unreleased fourth album (though like I said before, I feel like I’ll miss Jamie Kaleth’s vocal presence).
    Kaleth & the drummer Plug Thomas formed another group after leaving Jonesy, recorded an album, and then split after the record company(Epic I believe)refused to release it(this according to Thomas who used to post here). In the 80s, Kaleth & Thomas released a couple of electronic-oriented library albums on the Cavendish label which are quite good for what they are. The 4th Jonesy, with all vocals by Gypsy Jones was a disappointment.

I doubt that Ken Elliott was a full-time member; by this time frame he was already heavily involved with Seventh-Wave. There's an interview with Ken on Prog Archives that may address this in more detail.

Great fan of Rupert Hine, both as a musician and as producer (although not of the Rush-albums). That's why I was curious about that "Live In Sweden" mini-CD/DVD, although one could already seen it on youtube:

I like this short program, but was very much intrigued by the fact that there is a drumset for Phil Collins and that Hine clearly says that Phil was "set up": Collins wasn't allowed to play drums, only to handle som percussion instruments.

Here're his production-artists I've got in my collection:

Rupert Hine, Jonesy, Saga, Anthony Phillips, Murray Head, The Fixx, Camel, Café Jacques, The Waterboys, Martin Ansell, Thinkman, Underworld, Rebel Heels, John G Perry, Milla, Noa, Quantum Jump, Duncan Sheik, Teitur, Suzanne Vega.

It must be said that he often also played or sang on the albums he produced.

we just released a Rupert Hine comp last month if you you dont know his solo work called "Unshy on the Skyline" -- he is a lovely guy as well.

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4985

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I wish Rupert would have produced the new YES album.
    I'll bet they do too.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I think he might be responsible for the 2 worst "sounding" Rush albums. Thinner than Kate Moss.
    Seconded
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    we just released a Rupert Hine comp last month if you you dont know his solo work called "Unshy on the Skyline" -- he is a lovely guy as well.

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4985
    He also updated his own website https://rupert-hine.squarespace.com/ which also gives info on this compilation-album. His discography-page looks very nice.

I've been looking for that "Snakes Don't Dance Fast" single for quite a while. It could have been added as a bonus to the Quantum Jump reissues, at least it was originally released on the same label as the Jump albums. The 2CD "Barracuda" is great, the BBC live gig has Roye Albrighton on guitar and quite prominent backing vocals.

"Waving Not Drowning" is my fave from the early 80's trilogy. Field Music side project The Week That Was' eponymous album from 2008 has a bit that same kind of paranoia that is present on that and "Immunity".

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Seconded
    Thirded, though it's interesting where in the Beyond the Lighted Stage docu he talks about how strange it was to him at the time that Rush wanted him to produce an 80s synth album when -- in his words -- they were one of the last great guitar trios. So he seemed to be trying to distance himself from being responsible for those records.

And in his defense, he did produce two of Saga's best albums (IMO), World's Apart and Heads or Tales, both of which had copious meat on the bones. I guess by the mid 80s everyone was stripping and depth and bottom end out of their music just as a precautionary measure.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Agree about those Saga albums and his production for Rush has never bothered me. Presto is especially a fav.

Just listened to the title track of Wildest Wish To Fly. His voice is huskier on it and sounds almost like Gabriel's. Robert Palmer's backing vocals are a treat.

His decision to hire Steve Negus for the last part of One Man's Poison was a masterstroke too.