Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want more music like Crosby, Stills, Nash

The Jayhawks - harmonies to die for! Hollywood Town Hall is easily in my top 10 best albums of the 90s. And I don't think it is a coincidence that they are sitting on a sofa in front of a white wooden slat building, just as CSN did.

Last edited by PeterG; 07-14-2014 at 04:42 PM.

A little more towards the folk end of things, but Canadian group Modabo has a lot of similarities:

"The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Dan Fogelberg
    CPR (Crosby / Pevar / Raymond)
    The Thorns (Matthew Sweet / Shawn Mullins / Pete Droge)

And I urge to check out this excellent compilation and book:
    http://www.musicmeter.nl/album/252789

The two guitarsolos, IIRC both by Dan Fogelberg himself, are ace:

not sure if this really fits here, but I"ll take a chance.

Jimmie Spheeris - Isle of View

Check out this live set by Jonathan Wilson. It needs a bit of time to get going (not so enamoured with the first song which is a cover of an early Fleetwood Mac song) but after that it really gets going:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The Jayhawks - harmonies to die for! Hollywood Town Hall is easily in my top 10 best albums of the 90s. And I don't think it is a coincidence that they are sitting on a sofa in front of a white wooden slat building, just as CSN did.

One of my finest musical experiences was sitting on a curb on a sunny day in St Paul while the Jayhawks played across the street, plastic cup of good ale in my hand, and the college girls in front of us swayed like willow trees.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

James Taylor (nót the British organ player and nót the Kool & The Gang singer;-)) - although later albums may suffer from slick production, practically every record contains a few unmissable highlights. If you like David Crosby's singing capabilities, you'll like Taylor's too, I think.
    Matthews' Southern Comfort

I'm a fan of Band of Horses and I hear that the related band Grand Archives also falls into this sphere of music.

I'm still only slightly familiar but what I've heard by Jin Corcoran and Bertrand Gosselin, Richard Seguin solo and in the band Seguin, and that whole 70's Canadian folk scene in general, has all been top-notch. Perhaps the folks at PE from Montreal can fill me in more on this wonderful music! (we've focused more on the prog bands already)

Fleet Foxes S/T first album, is fantastic, perhaps right up your alley. And I agree, Band of Horses is rather nice too, as is Freelance Whales, and the first Harmonium album if you don't mind singing in French.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Jackson Browne
    Dawes
    Either Palladia or Axis TV had a Dawes concert on not too long ago (it was filmed at a large festival) and I quite enjoyed it. I decided to buy one of their albums and it did not do that much for me. Not terrible by any means, but I enjoyed their live show a lot more.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Thumbs up on the Band Of Horses and Fleet Foxes recs. Might I also add Midlake, particularly The Trials of Van Occupanther.

Local Natives.

Suspended
    If you don't mind listening to a foreign language, there is/was a rather interesting Brazilian combo named Boca Livre (tr: "Free Mouth"). I have their eponymous album. They have certain similarities to CSN&Y.

Apparently at one time they did some sort of collaboration with Jon Anderson, though I don't know the details.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 07-15-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Morning (debut album from 1970), with two ex-Love members:

Ilous & Decuyper, very peculiar duo from France (and highly recommended album from 1971):

The magnificent Culpeper's Orchard from Denmark:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I always liked Batdorf and Rodney .....

From my own hometown of Bergen; Hole In the Wall is generally regarded as one of the finest Norwegian pop/rock records ever made, sporting a very young Rune Walle (previously with Oriental Sunshine), who would go on to Saft, Flying Norwegians and Ozark Mountain Daredevils:

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Another beautiful album from Denmark (featuring ex-Culpeper and Day of Phoenix members):

And the legendary Serge Fiori with his Harmonium band:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I don't really like Bruce Cockburn
    May I ask what Bruce cockburn music you have heard? His run of albums from the late 70s (Into The Falling Dark, Further Adventures of, Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws, Circle In The stream (live) ) are fantastic records that blend all the elements you speak of. I know people who think Bruce is solely about his early 80s political songs since they're the ones that got radio play, but this man is, imo, one of the most unsung Canadian talents ever.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Davy Graham

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

No vox on this, but Michael Chapman sings on some of his other records.I prefer him as a pure instrumentalist.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Check out this live set by Jonathan Wilson. It needs a bit of time to get going (not so enamoured with the first song which is a cover of an early Fleetwood Mac song) but after that it really gets going:

Jonathan Wilson is the guy I was going to mention. He has two albums and the latest one "Fanfare" features Jackson Browne, Graham Nash, David Crosby, Mike Campbell, Benmont tench among the guests. Good stuff!