Thread: Opeth channel Goblin on new track

Opeth channel Goblin on new track

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/opet...-on-new-track/

Opeth mainman Mikael Akerfeldt says the band have worked up two tracks for their next album – and one of them is a “crazy rip-off” that might just be too weird to appear on the follow-up to 2011′s Heritage.

The band started jamming with an idea while on tour, and the results are so similar to Italian prog outfit Goblin that Akerfeldt decided to name the track after the band.

He tells Uppsala Student Radio 98.9: “I came up with a little lick, and became a bit of a director. I just told everyone to play this and that and we started jamming.

“Immediately from the beginning, it sounded like the band Goblin. It’s a crazy riff. I’m not sure if it will be too much of a fucked-up song to be on the record. There will definitely only be one song that’s going to sound like that.

“The song is called Goblin, which is a good title. It’s really good – I love it because of the closeness to Goblin.”

The Italian band formed in 1972 and ran for ten years before splitting. They reformed briefly in 2000 then got back together in 2005, and continue working today. In the late 1970s they worked on a series of notably dark movie soundtracks.

Akerfeldt reveals less about the other Opeth piece he’s created, except to say: “I have a song I really like. It’s the most miserable song I ever wrote, and it’s beautiful, I think.” He says he has some other ideas for the record, which the band will start working on seriously next year.

Opeth guitarist Fredrik Akesson recently discussed fans’ reactions to their change of direction on Heritage, saying that one angry follower had challenged Akerfeldt to a duel during a concert.
    Interesting... a track so similar to Goblin that he named it "Goblin"! I look forward to a new album, I hope it doesn't take too long to finish writing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

one angry follower had challenged Akerfeldt to a duel during a concert

Now THAT is fucking hilarious, I wish I could have seen Akerfeldt field that one!

Banned
    I love Damnation and I love Heritage. So, I hope that the sound of the new one is between those two. Btw, is he really done with the growls?

Their current setlist is an interesting mix of the old and the new.

You get the proggier stuff like Devil's Orchard and Hope Leaves, and then there are the heavier epics like Ghost of Perdition, Harlequin Forest and Deliverance.
    And then there are the songs that they've rarely, if ever played live, such as Famine, Burden and Hessian Peel.

Interestingly, even the heavier songs in the set seem to have more of a focus on the clean vocals rather than the growls (eg White Cluster).

I'm fortunate enough to enjoy all aspects of the band, so I was well impressed with the choice of songs for the current tour, showing the whole range of styles in the band's catalogue, and particularly enjoyed the willingness to try out older tracks which had never been played live before.

I guess 'Heritage' is a 'Watershed'-moment in the band's career, splitting their fanbase, but I dig the fact that Akerfeldt is pursuing his own muse regardless of fan reaction. The man is taking me on a musical journey, opening up new avenues I've never explored before, but also gently reminding me of classics oft neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    [url]Interesting... a track so similar to Goblin that he named it "Goblin"!
    GOBLIN are a "hot" influence nowadays. There are several bands (f.e. UMBERTO, 5IVE, ACTRESS, ANIMA MORTE, ZOMBI, APPLEHEAD, CRIME IN CHOIR, etc.) that are fishing in their waters...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Btw, is he really done with the growls?
    Not at live shows, at least, so maybe not altogether? I hope they appear again, in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    GOBLIN are a "hot" influence nowadays. There are several bands (f.e. UMBERTO, 5IVE, ACTRESS, ANIMA MORTE, ZOMBI, APPLEHEAD, CRIME IN CHOIR, etc.) that are fishing in their waters...
    Speaking of Umberto, cool music but the CD is mastered like shit. I don't know if it's a screw-up with the pressing or not. I don't have the ddl to A:B.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Speaking of Umberto, cool music but the CD is mastered like shit. I don't know if it's a screw-up with the pressing or not. I don't have the ddl to A:B.
    Which one do you mean? 'Prophecy of the Black Widow' is intentionally overcompressed to sound like a crappy VHS soundtrack. Part of the charm for me

It's not that. I could handle that. Some of the tracks sound distorted. The opening track (the best one) sounds just fine, thankfully.

Btw, check out Oscillotron. Not in Zombi's or Umberto's league, but a nice TD/Frizzi-esque electronic homage.

Banned
    Just read that article in Prog Magazine but too bad the link doesn't actually include the song...

It's the most miserable song I ever wrote
    Wow. I'd make sure to have the suicide hotline on standby before even pressing play on that one.

It's not that. I could handle that. Some of the tracks sound distorted. The opening track (the best one) sounds just fine, thankfully.

Btw, check out Oscillotron. Not in Zombi's or Umberto's league, but a nice TD/Frizzi-esque electronic homage.
    I know what you're talking about...I took it as part of that 'sound' as well, but maybe I'm crazy

I will check out Oscillotron, thanks! Be sure and give a listen to Gatekeeper's "Optimus Maximus" on YouTube.

I have the vinyls of first two UMBERTOs and never heard the CDs... Both sound fine to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have the vinyls of first two UMBERTOs and never heard the CDs... Both sound fine to my ears.
    I have "Prophecy" on both CD and vinyl and yes, they both sound pretty terrific (and comparable), which is why I suspect it was an intentional production/mastering choice. I think there was also a cassette release, but I've not heard it (ironically, it would almost be the most appropriate physical media).

His latest on Rock Action "Night of a Thousand Screams" isn't quite as epic as "Prophecy" or "From the Grave" but is still a lovely listen.

Thought this might be the right place for this.
    A newer Oscillotron released earlier this year:

https://oscillotron.bandcamp.com/album/cataclysm

Oh cool...I have the first Oscillotron, but missed that they released something new.

Danke!!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Thought this might be the right place for this.
    A newer Oscillotron released earlier this year:

https://oscillotron.bandcamp.com/album/cataclysm
    Sweet!

Second half of Cataclysm is better than the first. "Mutation" is nearly the single best thing about the album, minus the last couple minutes which feel "Scotch-taped on."