Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BIG FESTIVAL ANNOUNCEMENT: PROGTOBERFEST CHICAGO!

I'm sure it will be awkward & disruptive when a whole crowd of people leave one band mid-set, to go see another band.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I'm sure it will be awkward & disruptive when a whole crowd of people leave one band mid-set, to go see another band.
    The big club holds 400, the music joint bar 220, so yes it will be interesting. Reggies has done plenty of these all-day gigs, so I am trusting the band schedules are done in a way to minimize flow. My concern, like everyone's, is being able to sit comfortably.

Ticket update as of the weekend: Saturday has 60 tickets left, Sunday has 85 left.

Also, the Reggies Record Store has all their CD's marked down 50%. Per the workers there, the CD's are 50% off and will be remain so until all the CD's are gone. I guess they are throwing in the towel and will use the space for something else. Their vinyl sells well, vinyl has about half the shelf space in the record store, they have no plans to get rid of the vinyl. it's just that nobody buys CD's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Yes there are. And should you bounce between clubs and try to catch parts of everything, or is it better to stake out a place in one club, and have a better seat/vantage point for bands that you really want to see?

neil
    I have no clue. I have been to the club once. Probably depends on how they have things set up and how many people are there. Spending 12 hours in Reggies is going to be an experience. We'll see......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The big club holds 400, the music joint bar 220, so yes it will be interesting. My concern, like everyone's, is being able to sit comfortably.
    400 standing. Kevin posted that they would set up chairs in the bigger club, that would bring the number way down. I wonder how many tickets they are selling overall. As far as sight lines or getting a good seat, there won't be a concern for sight lines, both are small intimate venues. Keeping a seat may be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have been to the club once. Spending 12 hours in Reggies is going to be an experience. We'll see......
    That was my first thought. I've been to both the rock club & the music joint. And there is really nowhere really to escape too for a break. I guess upstairs on the deck, bring a good warm jacket to lug around. Gets pretty nippy at night in Chicago, hee hee. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend more than 3 or 4 hours in either club. But, that's me.

>>>As far as sight lines or getting a good seat, there won't be a concern for sight lines, both are small intimate venues.

Actually, the only place where it's difficult to see is in the back of the small balcony. Odds are the red cushy chairs are already taken.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Question about the hotel shuttle: Is it going to be running on any kind of regular basis (such as on the hour)? I plan on taking it from the hotel to the venue, just wondering how often it will be doing pickups?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What happened to Sinclair? He would have been the main draw for me.

Sinclair cancelled I'm afraid. I know of no details or reasons. I was looking forward to seeing him as well.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Couldn't ask for a nicer day in Chicago!!! It's PERFECT! Too bad I'm stuck at work today! :-) Have fun and see most of you Sunday!

Two more ticket types were just added:

$30 General Admission - Day of Show SATURDAY NIGHT ROCK CLUB ONLY. Includes admission to Rock Club only for Saturday night only after 9pm. NOT good for admission before that time or in Music Joint.

$25 General Admission - SUNDAY NIGHT ROCK CLUB ONLY. Includes admission to Rock Club only for Sunday night only after 8pm. NOT good for admission before that time or in Music Joint.

Cool! Thanks for the info Ken. Feel free to call me with an update/review!

Did anyone see Presto Ballet during this fest? How were they?

Had a lot of fun this weekend at Reggies and Progtoberfest. Because of family commitments, I was unable to get to the venue until 4-5pm, so I missed a few bands that were raved about, Thank you Scientist and Mano in particular.

Saturday's highlights were Mercury Tree, a talented trio of young kids from Portland, playing some fine math/post/prog material. Big Elf, augmented by guitarist John Wesley, were a lot of fun, in particular Damon Fox was in fine spirits! The crowning set however came from Cheer Accident. Jeff, Thymme, Dante, Evelyn Davis and trumpeter??? put on an amazing set. Seen them a bunch, but can't say I've seen them better at their game. What a Chicago treasure they are.

Sunday I rolled in to see Sonus Umbra, who put on one of their finest sets I've seen. The band is tight tight tight, and it was non-stop, hard driving bona fide prog rock for an hour. Great to see them progressing...er gelling in leaps and bounds! Caught the end of District 97's set, which was the typically amazing set from them, great to hear them end with uber heavy Termites! Adam Holzman dared to put on a solo synth set, which was quite good. He's quite a talent, and to find, illustrious musician. Colin Edwin from PT put on a set as a trio, Burnt Belief, but I have to admit it really wasn't my thing. The crowd was good in there, and everyone really seemed to enjoy it. Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelleto (TU) were then up in the big room, playing an interesting set with a fair amount of improvising (to me anyway), then Stick Men took the stage. Tony Levin was very gracious and I wish I could have stayed longer because I really enjoyed their vroom vroom. However, I had to do a houdini as work beckoned the next morning.

I'm not sure how Reggies fared on the event, audiences were for the most part kinda thin. To be completely honest, there were a few bands that really didn't fit the musical bill (at least for my humble taste) and it may have been a more manageable weekend without them. It seems however to be Reggies modus operandi to pack a night-full of bands to keep the drinks flowing and get the friends/family in the doors. This was no exception. (To wit, this Friday, Halloween, doom-metal gods Elder are appearing with four (4) other bands!). Anyway, the overlapping was unfortunate because it was like one of those liquid wave machines that sits on a desk; as one room would fill up, the other would empty up as the audience shuffled between rooms.

All in all though it was a great weekend. Great to see a lot of familiar faces, Midwest Gang, Zip Tang, new and otherwise. I really enjoyed the music and happy to have gone and supported the event. Kudos to Kevin and Robbie for daring to do it.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I was only there on Saturday, but had a good time. I plan to write a review when I get some time.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Had a lot of fun this weekend at Reggies and Progtoberfest. Because of family commitments, I was unable to get to the venue until 4-5pm, so I missed a few bands that were raved about, Thank you Scientist and Mano in particular.

Saturday's highlights were Mercury Tree, a talented trio of young kids from Portland, playing some fine math/post/prog material. Big Elf, augmented by guitarist John Wesley, were a lot of fun, in particular Damon Fox was in fine spirits! The crowning set however came from Cheer Accident. Jeff, Thymme, Dante, Evelyn Davis and trumpeter??? put on an amazing set. Seen them a bunch, but can't say I've seen them better at their game. What a Chicago treasure they are.

Sunday I rolled in to see Sonus Umbra, who put on one of their finest sets I've seen. The band is tight tight tight, and it was non-stop, hard driving bona fide prog rock for an hour. Great to see them progressing...er gelling in leaps and bounds! Caught the end of District 97's set, which was the typically amazing set from them, great to hear them end with uber heavy Termites! Adam Holzman dared to put on a solo synth set, which was quite good. He's quite a talent, and to find, illustrious musician. Colin Edwin from PT put on a set as a trio, Burnt Belief, but I have to admit it really wasn't my thing. The crowd was good in there, and everyone really seemed to enjoy it. Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelleto (TU) were then up in the big room, playing an interesting set with a fair amount of improvising (to me anyway), then Stick Men took the stage. Tony Levin was very gracious and I wish I could have stayed longer because I really enjoyed their vroom vroom. However, I had to do a houdini as work beckoned the next morning.

I'm not sure how Reggies fared on the event, audiences were for the most part kinda thin. To be completely honest, there were a few bands that really didn't fit the musical bill (at least for my humble taste) and it may have been a more manageable weekend without them. It seems however to be Reggies modus operandi to pack a night-full of bands to keep the drinks flowing and get the friends/family in the doors. This was no exception. (To wit, this Friday, Halloween, doom-metal gods Elder are appearing with four (4) other bands!). Anyway, the overlapping was unfortunate because it was like one of those liquid wave machines that sits on a desk; as one room would fill up, the other would empty up as the audience shuffled between rooms.

All in all though it was a great weekend. Great to see a lot of familiar faces, Midwest Gang, Zip Tang, new and otherwise. I really enjoyed the music and happy to have gone and supported the event. Kudos to Kevin and Robbie for daring to do it.
    Which bands do you think did not fit the musical bill (as you say)?

I'll keep them to myself, if you don't mind, but if you read through my review, I'm sure you can piece it together. Again, one man's junk is another's treasure, and IMHO, of course.

I'll keep them to myself, if you don't mind, but if you read through my review, I'm sure you can piece it together. Again, one man's junk is another's treasure, and IMHO, of course.
    I just didn't have time to read all of your review, so my fault. I went through it pretty quickly
    I read what Steve said of Presto Ballet. Did you manage to see them?

yes I did see them, but they are not my cuppa tea

yes I did see them, but they are not my cuppa tea
    Well, I'm not familiar with some of those bands that were there either. I know Spock's, Zip Tang, Tiles, Bigelf, Jolly and maybe District 97 (but not exactly sure if I've listened to their music). The others are more obscure for me. And I think that Spock's Beard is just alright, their music is a bit too dry for my taste.

Just got back in from Toronto last night, after attending both days and had an amazing time. What an arsenal of bands. I, personally enjoyed the format of multiple bands on two stages, with lots to take in. Everything ran super smoothly, and hats off to Kevin and Reggies's and the Music Joint for doing a great job. Despite concerns by some, there were seats available at most points, so no one had to worry about standing for hours on end - good for the attendees....not so good for the organizers, who I'm sure would have liked to have seen the place at full capacity, for financial reasons.

Musically, there were plenty of standouts. My favourites off the top of my head:

Mano - amazing new band from Chicago combining a middle eastern vibe (supported by violin, flute and cello), with a solid, heavy rock section. Great compositions.
    Sonus Umbra - another local band who tore through a high energy set of crowd pleasing prog goodness.
    Cheer Accident - yet another Chicago band (is there something in the water there?), who dazzled with an astounding array of complex, satisfying awesomeness.
    The Mercury Tree - an incredible young band from Portland, who combine metal/jazz and math rock into a very original, unique brand of prog.

And many, many more enjoyable, great acts including Adam Holzman, Stickmen, TU, District 97, Spock's Beard, etc. Of course, there were one or two bands that weren't quite in my wheelhouse, but all the bands really brought it, and props to the organizers for booking such a wide range of acts.

It was also wonderful to see all my friends from the Midwest gang, and to meet new friends, too. And it was quite easy to have a chat with the majority of the musicians in a chilled atmosphere....just hanging around inside, or outside the club.

All in all, a great time, an explosion of musical goodness, and awesome people to hang with. That is what I call a beautiful weekend.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Just got back in from Toronto last night, after attending both days and had an amazing time. What an arsenal of bands. I, personally enjoyed the format of multiple bands on two stages, with lots to take in. Everything ran super smoothly, and hats off to Kevin and Reggies's and the Music Joint for doing a great job. Despite concerns by some, there were seats available at most points, so no one had to worry about standing for hours on end - good for the attendees....not so good for the organizers, who I'm sure would have liked to have seen the place at full capacity, for financial reasons.

Musically, there were plenty of standouts. My favourites off the top of my head:

Mano - amazing new band from Chicago combining a middle eastern vibe (supported by violin, flute and cello), with a solid, heavy rock section. Great compositions.
    Sonus Umbra - another local band who tore through a high energy set of crowd pleasing prog goodness.
    Cheer Accident - yet another Chicago band (is there something in the water there?), who dazzled with an astounding array of complex, satisfying awesomeness.
    The Mercury Tree - an incredible young band from Portland, who combine metal/jazz and math rock into a very original, unique brand of prog.

And many, many more enjoyable, great acts including Adam Holzman, Stickmen, TU, District 97, Spock's Beard, etc. Of course, there were one or two bands that weren't quite in my wheelhouse, but all the bands really brought it, and props to the organizers for booking such a wide range of acts.

It was also wonderful to see all my friends from the Midwest gang, and to meet new friends, too. And it was quite easy to have a chat with the majority of the musicians in a chilled atmosphere....just hanging around inside, or outside the club.

All in all, a great time, an explosion of musical goodness, and awesome people to hang with. That is what I call a beautiful weekend.

neil
    Glad you guys had such a good time & sorry you couldn't make it up here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

You were missed, my man. Ana and I thought of you and Kay and wished that we could hook up.

You should get your retired ass up here, and bring the lovely Kay with you to Toronto some time. You know that you have a place to stay.

neil

The Mercury Tree are terrific. Very quirky and textured yet technical. I saw them with Brice Plays Drums back in September in Minneapolis.