Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My surgery and recovery...

My surgery and recovery...

I thought I'd share this with PE members, it's actually a post I wrote and then copied from the "Illness and injury" thread. I had mentioned last month I was going to have surgery in August to have a defibrillator/pacemaker upgrade. Well shit happens, and well, read for yourself.....

What an ordeal... I'm home and doing much better, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Here are the fun details:

Well, I hate this expression, but sometimes things happen for a reason. I was scheduled for August 5th, but around June 25th I started having major chest pains, hardly slept the night. Went to work like an idiot and the pains came back and worse, more like heavy pressure near my heart. I went home early and tried to lie down a couple hours, but it didn't help, the pain persisted, so I called 911. Was brought to Princeton, and they did what they could, had tests and all, and they decided the next day to send me to Philadelphia. So it was a weekend of feeling horrible but in the right place. On the Monday, June 30th, I had a heart catheterization (I hate this procedure!), but thankfully no blockages. But while in recovery, I went into an A-Fib flutter, and my heart raced to 140 beats a minute. Scared the shit out of me. So for two days, I suffered through the flutter, now ranging from 60 beats to 120, and even higher a few times. Just horrible. So on Wednesday, they did a cardioversion to shock my heart into a normal sinus rhythm, and kept me under to then perform the implantation surgery and replace my defibrillator with the new device, now with three leads and the ability to pace the lower heart chambers. Cool technology. I woke up from the anesthesia feeling horribly groggy and nauseous, but the a-fib flutter was gone. Went into recovery for 6 hours and felt a ton of pain by the incision, and my back from the way I was lying. Percocet to the rescue! God, I hate this drug! Did it make the pain go away and give me a bit of a legal high? Sure, felt amazing on this. But I just knew this would do the worst thing possible, constipate me big time! The pain from that was far worse than from the surgery. Went through about two days dealing with that, and just taking tylenol for pain.

Once this ordeal was over, I just had to deal with the worst food imaginable. I get it, hospital food is not good, cardiac ward food is worse, very plain. And then there is the slop they gave me at this hospital, just the worst food I've ever had, I dreaded every meal. I admit to being a bit of a foodie, but I'm actually just comparing their food to the Princeton hospital, which was so much better. Horrible food service, they should be ashamed! It was so bad, I happily accepted a "Lean Cuisine" meal as an alternative, the nurse was so kind to offer this. Yup, Lean Cuisine was a BIG improvement, never thought I'd ever say such words!

So finally on July 5th, I was told I'd I'm going home. Not so fast, a screw up with the medications, and it being a holiday weekend meant one more day in the hospital. Finally, I went home on Sunday, July 6th. First thing I did at home was eat! They were leftovers, but some really great home made food, which never tasted so good!

So, after all this, I'm not in heart failure or a-fib. I have my new device, or "Borg Implant" as I like to call it. I should see gradual improvement of heart function over the next few months. I'll be home from work for a month, and even started PT today. Can't lift my left arm more than 90%, and do feel incision pain. So I'm limited in my arm movements, which makes things like dressing or washing difficult,. But it's getting better each day. Can't drive for another week, so I'm trying my best not to get too bored. But the worst is over. Oh, and I can actually sleep at night! Have not had many good nights over the last few months, so I'm thrilled by this. Just got to stay positive and realize the recovery is a process. Each day will be a little better.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Glad you're feeling better and back on better food.

Thomas,

You've been through the wars - again - but you always seem to be positive, strong, and smiling at the end.

In your honor, I will spin some Dream Theater tonight

Glad to read that you're on the mend!
    Regards,

Duncan

What Duncan said, Thomas!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks for the kind words.

I have an update and a minor setback to tell you guys. No heart failure symptoms, and getting more use of my arm -I even get to drive tomorrow! The bad news is that I've gone into A-fib again, and the drive Wednesday is to my cardiologist. Looks like they will do a cardioversion on Friday to shock my heart back to a normal sinus rhythm, same thing I had done two weeks ago. It's an outpatient procedure thankfully, and usually does work. I just hope it last far longer than the last time and I stay out of a-fib. Other than that, my recovery is going well. I'm not stir crazy yet, but getting there. But I'm patient, and keeping my positive attitude. I used to feel sorry for myself and totally beat myself up over many things in my life. But stopped doing that back in 09, a total life change of attitude. Now I don't know any other way to be.

Stay positive, no matter what happens.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Wow. What an ordeal! Sorry to hear that you're going through this, Thomas. But I give credit to your fighting spirit and I'm glad to hear that you're keeping such a positive attitude. Very admirable, especially under the circumstances.

Hang in there, buddy. Hoping for a swift and uneventful recovery!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. What an ordeal! Sorry to hear that you're going through this, Thomas. But I give credit to your fighting spirit and I'm glad to hear that you're keeping such a positive attitude. Very admirable, especially under the circumstances.

Hang in there, buddy. Hoping for a swift and uneventful recovery!
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I did have my cardiologist confirm today that I have an A-Fib flutter. It's a bit different than the usual A-Fib, at least that's what they tell me. I will find out tomorrow about the cardioversion. I was hoping for Friday, but we shall see. I did take a major step today though, I drove, a 25 minute trip to Princeton. And I felt almost no pain at all in the shoulder area, I was so thrilled by this. My recovery from the surgery in terms of the incision and how it affects my left arm is progressing far more quickly than in 2009. Might have something to do with the new device being a little smaller. Plus I've made sure to use my arm more. I was terrified of any movement back when I had this done in 09. So all in all, good news. The heartbeat thing is a bit more than an annoyance, but really I can't complain much. Some people intentionally go years without having this taken care of. I think they are nuts. But I can deal with it for a few more days if I have to.

Keep on keeping on, Thomas!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Keep on keeping on, Thomas!
    I'm trying. Unfortunately I have the A-fib flutter again, so I'm not totally out of the woods. The family stress I'm going through is not helping, we lost my Father Tuesday night, which is beyond devastating. We were very close, I consider him my hero and one of my best friends. I'm trying to do normal things, like posting here, playing music etc. And I'm trying to keep strong for my Mom's sake. Failing miserably of course, but I'm doing my best.

Hugs and sorrow for your great loss, Thomas!

So sorry for your loss Thomas

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

My condolences, Thomas. My mother passed on May 23 after a 3-year battle with dementia. It was devastating to witness how this disease progressively robbed her of all that she lived for.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Geez, Thomas! Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure you're doing what you can to help your mother, but be sure to take the time to grieve yourself, too. Things have to turn the corner for you soon!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thomas, terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

I remember when your Dad was ill some years back, and how worried you were - a lot of prayers and positive vibes were sent from PE at that time.

I hope you and your family find peace with your loss.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Thomas, terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

I remember when your Dad was ill some years back, and how worried you were - a lot of prayers and positive vibes were sent from PE at that time.

I hope you and your family find peace with your loss.
    Thank you to everyone. Yes, we went through hell when he battled cancer back in 07. He beat it, and I'm thankful we had 7 more years with him in our life.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Sorry about your dad. Tom...
    Hope you are feeling better...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Thomas,
    I too am sorry for your loss and all that you have been going through (and I thought my Colonoscopy on WED was a bad experience!). Keep the positive attitude and soldier on Brother.

Just got out of the hospital, again. Had another cardioversion yesterday to get back to sinus rhythm. Still waiting on a more permanent procedure on 9/17. I'll talk more about it later.

You're an inspiration, Thomas! Keep fighting the good fight!

The heat from Progday would have taken a toll on your ticker over the weekend Tom.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The hits keep comin', Thomas!

Good luck with the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The hits keep comin', Thomas!
    And then some! While I came home on Saturday, I was sick again Sunday night, and it's getting beyond stupid now, I had to be rushed BACK to the hospital! Short stay and they helped me a lot this time, and I got home just a few hours ago. I've now lost count how many times I've been admitted this year. I'd go into detail what happened this time, but why bother. I just know I feel better than I did when they sent me home the previous time. 9/17 is the date of my procedure, it can't come soon enough. Hopefully that will be the next time I'm in a hospital, and last one of the year.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thomas, how ya doing?

Just reading this thread for the first time. What a saga. I hope you are doing well, Thomas.
    <sig out of order>