Thread: ALEX CARPANI BAND Performs at ProgDay 2014!

ALEX CARPANI BAND Performs at ProgDay 2014!

ALEX CARPANI BAND Performs at ProgDay 2014!

Swiss-born, Italian-based keyboardist and composer ALEX CARPANI started his musical journey at an early age. While having recorded dozens of albums of music between self-released discs, electronic music, soundtracks and music for theater and multimedia, Carpani's breakthrough to progressive rock fans was his 2007 release Waterline.

Forced to recuperate for a broken ankle, Carpani used the time to write, perform and record all the music for Waterline. Originally conceived as an instrumental album, by the time of it's appearance in 2007, Waterline also featured vocals by ALDO TAGLIAPETRA (LE ORME) and a cover by PAUL WHITEHEAD (GENESIS, VDGG, LE ORME). The album garnered a lot of underground attention from symphonic fans.

"This album can be placed without any hesitation into the pantheon of Italian progressive masterpieces, even though it was only released in 2007. Carpani's style of playing is reminiscent of PFM and Le Orme at the peak of their careers." - Eddie Lascu, Gnosis

"Fans of progressive rock and especially Italian Progressive rock are simply going to revel in the debut CD from keyboardist Alex Carpani entitled Waterline...The songs...have a very prominent 70's influence...going heavy on the classical and symphonic elements to drive the point home...You can hear the ghosts of many different bands from the glory days of progressive rock all over Waterline...It's what he did with those influences, and how well he incorporated them into his own original compositions to create something new, that makes Waterline such a joy to listen to." 4/5 stars - Ryan Sparks, Sea Of Tranquility

Waterline was followed by The Sanctuary in 2010.

"...I was quite taken with this album and rightly so. It is magnificent. I would more than just recommend it, I would say it is an essential Prog accessory." - Progmeister

"As Carpani is a keyboard player and a singer with a preference for the Canterbury scene, The Sanctuary bears a strong resemblance to musicians such as Anthony Phillips (listen to the intro of Templars Dream) and bands like Hatfield And The North...The Sanctuary is an album that immediately attracts the fancy of the listener but only on repeat listenings will it reveal its deeper layers, especially in the organ playing. Carpani has created my sanctuary for this summer, for sure." 4/5 stars - Andre de Waal, Background Magazine

"...all in all this is a memorable album that any serious fan of the genre must have or listen at least once...4 stars easy and recommended..." - Bogdan Olariu, Progarchives

The ALEX CARPANI BAND continues to refine and expand its music on 4 Destinies, released earlier this year.

ALEX CARPANI BAND (Italy), joins SENSATIONS' FIX (Italy), NECROMONKEY (Sweden), THE GALACTIC COWBOY ORCHESTRA (US), LUZ DE RIADA (Mexico) and KOTEBEL (Spain) at ProgDay 2014, the 20th Anniversary of the longest running progressive rock festival in the world. ProgDay 2014 will take place on Saturday, August 30th, and Sunday, August 31st, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

More bands to be announced soon!

Thanks.

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
    www.michaelbennett.com

Jefferson James
    Nice score Michael! Loved seeing these guys at Terra Incognita back in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Nice score Michael! Loved seeing these guys at Terra Incognita back in 2012.
    What Kerry said. They were quite good at TI 2012.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

OK....what Kerry & Lou said.

They should go over very well imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I kind of thought there would be more reaction to this one. Carpani is very very good and I really dig his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I kind of thought there would be more reaction to this one. Carpani is very very good and I really dig his stuff.
    I'm also excited as I missed the TI performance of 2012 and have liked Carpani's CDs and expect to very much enjoy the band live.
    Perhaps folks have simply become numb due to the quality of the acts that were announced previously.
    I mean, Kotebel... Necromonkey... Sensation's Fix... each of these blew me away and left me thinking ANYTHING was possible.
    Thanks to all who are working hard to create another amazing ProgDay for us!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Announcement came late enough in the day that I didn't see it 'til this morning

This is another new one for me, as are many of the picks for PD this year. Which IMHO is exactly why I am so excited...it'll be great to discover new stuff.

Alex Carpani sounds very cool and fun
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Alright, just got a pair of patron tickets. Looks like a great line-up so far and now just 2 bands left to announce!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Have to admit to not knowing these guys at all.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So let me get this straight. There is a prog band that John Battema is actually not familiar with? I am in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    So let me get this straight. There is a prog band that John Battema is actually not familiar with? I am in shock.

When are you making the trip to the farm, sir? Good things be happening...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The venerable David Jackson (VdGG) has toured quite a bit with this band; will he be making the trip? (If so, you'd definitely want to big that up as that would increase interest tenfold)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    The venerable David Jackson (VdGG) has toured quite a bit with this band; will he be making the trip? (If so, you'd definitely want to big that up as that would increase interest tenfold)
    From 10 to 100?

I kid because I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    He didn't come over with VdGG when they played here, so I would be very surprised if he does.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah but hadn't he already had the big falling out with the VDGG guys by that time?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think it'd be pretty neat if Jackson made it...it'll be enjoyable regardless though

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I think it'd be pretty neat if Jackson made it...it'll be enjoyable regardless though
    If Jackson comes with them, how much will you guys give me to push him into the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He didn't come over with VdGG when they played here, so I would be very surprised if he does.
    He wasn't a member of VdGG at that point. He also didn't play with VdGG on recent tours of Italy, but he did appear with Ossana and ACB in that country.

The Sanctuary was one of my favorites of 2010. The PD lineup is already fantastic this year. Hope I can make it.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Ettori Salati with him now on guitar and bass pedals? I see he's played with Éclat. Anyone know if he was with Éclat when they played ProgScape?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Ettori Salati with him now on guitar and bass pedals? I see he's played with Éclat. Anyone know if he was with Éclat when they played ProgScape?
    Yes, Ettore Salati is with the Alex Carpani Band on guitars and will be performing at ProgDay.