Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Portnoy slams new Floyd album as disrespectful

I absolutely love the Division Bell, so dont give a monkeys what this guy thinks and look forward to it , however Im sure hes astute enough to know that anything he posts thats a bit inflammatory is good for publicity for himself. I like Floyd with Waters, without Waters, all solo variances etc, and arguing over whether it can be called Pink Floyd is ridiculous, certainly the same could be said for many many bands as they get older, Yes etc come to mind.

Portnoy looks like an ahole with his pastel beard, this just confirms it.

Seems people arn't allowed to express an opinion anymore without getting their head 'chewed off'! This site is becoming more of a Police state. What happened to Freedom of Expression!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I absolutely love the Division Bell, so dont give a monkeys what this guy thinks and look forward to it , however Im sure hes astute enough to know that anything he posts thats a bit inflammatory is good for publicity for himself. I like Floyd with Waters, without Waters, all solo variances etc, and arguing over whether it can be called Pink Floyd is ridiculous, certainly the same could be said for many many bands as they get older, Yes etc come to mind.
    Same for me. I'm looking forward to it as well, and I'm even more interested because it sounds like it's going to be 'different'... As I like the Orb, the idea of 'ambient style' instrumentals sounds quite interesting.

Hardly a "slam". Just his $0.02, no worse than anyone else here. Jeeze media hype.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's the point I was making. In other words, he's a wanker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Seems people arn't allowed to express an opinion anymore without getting their head 'chewed off'! This site is becoming more of a Police state. What happened to Freedom of Expression!!!
    Since we can't talk about religion, politics or sex we have to talk about SOMEthing.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Given the apparent improved relations between RW and the rest of PF, not including some contribution by him is a wasted opportunity I think.
    I disagree. Waters is the *only* reason that Rick Wright is not on every single album under the name Pink Floyd.

Which is also the reason that the sole album without Rick Wright is the *real* Pink Fraud.

If this album is a tribute/memorial to Rick Wright therefore, Waters *must not* be involved
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Rick Wright always looked a kind gentle soul to me . ( handsome too) ! I dont think he would have found Roger easy, but I think Roger has probably mellowed somewhat over the years. I too like the Orb and I like good ambient music. If anyone is expecting Wish You were Here/Animals/DSOTM etc , I think they may be disappointed.

I was fortunate to not know or care that Waters was supposed to be vital to Pink Floyd (according to himself and many fans, I guess) when I first hear Momentary Lapse. I've never thought it was great, but it had some good stuff on it. 7 years later TDB came out and I loved that (even though I was starting to feel that a Waterless Floyd was just not as good), plus I got to actually see Pink Floyd perform, even if it was just 3 of the original members (though I guess Gilmour is not actually an original member). I will no doubt get this new album, though my expectations will be kept well in check.

Personally, my favorite Floyd albums are all pre-Dark Side albums. I liked them best when they were just 4 stoned guys experimenting with electronics, finding their sound and learning their trade. They worked as a unit, without anyone really "in charge". As far as I'm concerned the only dispensable member ever was Nick Mason (and even he was pretty indispensable up until Wish You Were Here, which was when he started contributing less and less to the music creation). If Yes can still be Yes without a couple critical members, I think Floyd was certainly Floyd with just one critical member missing (though there is no doubt Waters was the main creative force since WYWH......though Gilmour was equally as critical, creating the best of the music on pretty much all those albums up through the Wall).

Screw you guys. If Bob Klose isn't part of it, it ain't true Floyd.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Given the apparent improved relations between RW and the rest of PF, not including some contribution by him is a wasted opportunity I think.
    I don't think you can assume the leap from "no longer carrying a grudge against his former partner" to "willing to participate in what he probably would regard as a bogus revival of the Pink Floyd brand." Myself, I think that if the new release really is going to be ambientish/instrumental oriented, as I hope is true, it might be just as well if Mr. Misery Guts keeps his paws off it.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I guess Gilmour is not actually an original member).

there is no doubt Waters was the main creative force since WYWH......though Gilmour was equally as critical, creating the best of the music on pretty much all those albums up through the Wall).
    on point 1; I'm pretty sure Gilmour was a close friend of the band since their inception. I even read somewhere that Gilmour taught Barrett some Guitar licks

on point 2; Waters *did* take over things post Animals, but the *music* on Animals is still very much a collaborative effort. The insufferably bleak lyric content is all on Waters though.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    His tattoos and beard are disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    His tattoos and beard are disgusting.
    Now it's getting personal!!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If Bob Klose isn't part of it, it ain't true Floyd.
    At least it has Durga McBroom-Hudson on it.

Never mind the outdated "Phil Collins ruined Genesis" mantra, I think "Mike Portnoy ruined Big Elf" is far better

Keep in mind that the record companies were pushing Gilmour to make the album as much like Pink Floyd's previous hits as possible. I am certain there was some very nice instrumental pieces that didn't make the album because they were too mellow. I look forward to this album, especially if most of it is instrumental and features Rick Wright.

They gotta throw in a Mudmen like piece. Everything after that would be a bonus. An RW piano driven piece. Expecting plenty of Barn Jam type music, which works too. CANT WAIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    They gotta throw in a Mudmen like piece. Everything after that would be a bonus.
    Nice.

That's what made On An Island so sweet -- back to Obscured/Meddle.

More winery from this dog.

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    More winery from this dog.
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Screw you guys. If Bob Klose isn't part of it, it ain't true Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Now it's getting personal!!
    This from a guy who took a potshot at Phil Collins' parenting on another thread??

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This from a guy who took a potshot at Phil Collins' parenting on another thread??
    But that came from his kids!!