Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins' son and nephew...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Actually, I wrote those words and it was originally about my other former bandmate Kevin Gilbert... the irony of how clever he was and yet what a stupid careless way to go. One of many events that reminds us that all it takes is one bad decision where you cross that line and can't go back.

wow, I'm speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    OMG, a musician caught with DRUGS!!!!!!!! Like most of you weren't dropping Acid and smoking and snorting back in the 70s and 80s.

Give the guy a break.
    See post #17

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    It is won by government people who achieve job security.
    So very true!! But it reaches so far beyond that, that it is mind boggling. Time for a reality check. If the war on drugs is ever "won", the economy of countless numbers of countries would totally collapse with worldwide negative repercussions. And it sure wouldn't help the US economy any...VERY sad to say. Let's face it...people love to get high. Be it recreational or worse...it's what people want (or need) and how the world's economy runs. So the next time you hear about some big drug bust, don't applaud too loudly. It's all window dressing.

OK...may the backlash begin.......

Having spent 7 weeks on tour with Simon from the beginning of April to the middle of May, the current reports are of course a concern to me. Threads like this become volatile quickly, and they really bring out the worst kind of gossip and "humor." I don't wish to be an authority on the matter (I know nothing more than what has been published), but I'll say a couple of things and move on...

The notion of this allegation being a cause of anyone leaving the band in the past should be put to rest immediately. There are 3 sides to every story (according to that Extreme album anyway), and nobody should believe that was one of them. Many bands have had members that kept their substance problems well-hidden secrets from other members (Thin Lizzy and Pantera are just a couple that come to mind). All I can say is that I've never seen anything.

The only reason this is news is because of Phil, period. Sound Of Contact means nothing to the general public, and Simon isn't a celebrity (we didn't have any Genesis sound crew btw, where did that come from?). Pretty sad that they both have to be dragged through the mud. On a personal level, it's really sad to me that these news sources grabbed that pic of the two of them (from FACEBOOK!) after our show in NYC. An emotional moment for the two of them, reduced to this story.

Doesn't he have a history of drug problems? Seems like I remember some stories of going through re-hab a time or two floating around a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    All I can say is that I've never seen anything.
    Thanks very much for your perspective. I'll be pulling for Simon to come out of this okay.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    So very true!! But it reaches so far beyond that, that it is mind boggling. Time for a reality check. If the war on drugs is ever "won", the economy of countless numbers of countries would totally collapse with worldwide negative repercussions. And it sure wouldn't help the US economy any...VERY sad to say. Let's face it...people love to get high. Be it recreational or worse...it's what people want (or need) and how the world's economy runs. So the next time you hear about some big drug bust, don't applaud too loudly. It's all window dressing.

OK...may the backlash begin.......
    I do not believe that one can justify insanity both on the side of the enforcers and the enforced, for economic reasons. There are more humane jobs which can provide as much economic health or more than the current war. Although I realize that you are stating the way it is, and there is no force big enough to change it. Or is there hope that a portion of the drug economy can become legalized, albeit justified for local and not global economic reasons.

Banned
    Having spent 7 weeks on tour with Simon from the beginning of April to the middle of May, the current reports are of course a concern to me. Threads like this become volatile quickly, and they really bring out the worst kind of gossip and "humor." I don't wish to be an authority on the matter (I know nothing more than what has been published), but I'll say a couple of things and move on...

The notion of this allegation being a cause of anyone leaving the band in the past should be put to rest immediately. There are 3 sides to every story (according to that Extreme album anyway), and nobody should believe that was one of them. Many bands have had members that kept their substance problems well-hidden secrets from other members (Thin Lizzy and Pantera are just a couple that come to mind). All I can say is that I've never seen anything.

The only reason this is news is because of Phil, period. Sound Of Contact means nothing to the general public, and Simon isn't a celebrity (we didn't have any Genesis sound crew btw, where did that come from?). Pretty sad that they both have to be dragged through the mud. On a personal level, it's really sad to me that these news sources grabbed that pic of the two of them (from FACEBOOK!) after our show in NYC. An emotional moment for the two of them, reduced to this story.
    I think you are taking this too serious, even if some or all of it is true. Bottom line is that the authorities, realize that the global population think that the class b substance is not a big deal. And I can't believe that anybody believes that Phil has never partaken in the class b, at a minimum.

I do not believe that one can justify insanity both on the side of the enforcers and the enforced, for economic reasons. There are more humane jobs which can provide as much economic health or more than the current war. Although I realize that you are stating the way it is, and there is no force big enough to change it. Or is there hope that a portion of the drug economy can become legalized, albeit justified for local and not global economic reasons.
    Thanks for well-thought out reply. Thanks so for confirming what I am saying...the drug situation in the world is the way it is. This of course does NOT infer that change cannot happen...it surely must! It is interesting to note that at one time...in the not to distant past here in the US...many now illegal drugs were sold legally with some not even requiring a doctor's prescription...cocaine in particular. Look up the history of "Coca-Cola" for an interesting read. It was when the consumption of these drugs became over/misused that the government stepped in to control it. Best intentions that went horribly wrong. When you tell a child he can't have something, he will want it even more.

Legalization to help ease and adjust the economic impact is a definite step in the right direction. Only time will tell.

With all that said, I do wish the best for Mr's. Collins...both father and son.

If it's true, I do hope Simon gets the help he needs.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I think you are taking this too serious, even if some or all of it is true. Bottom line is that the authorities, realize that the global population think that the class b substance is not a big deal. And I can't believe that anybody believes that Phil has never partaken in the class b, at a minimum.
    I just saw where some comments were headed here and decided to throw in my $.02. I'm not going to jump in and defend every time something questionable is said. This is PE after all!

I just saw where some comments were headed here and decided to throw in my $.02. I'm not going to jump in and defend every time something questionable is said. This is PE after all!
    Smart man!

Mike Rutherford and his wife were arrested back in the day for drug possession.

Rufus being in town when the bust went down was purely coincidental.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Mike Rutherford and his wife were arrested back in the day for drug possession.
    Bath salts or paint huffing?

The only reason this is news is because of Phil, period. Sound Of Contact means nothing to the general public, and Simon isn't a celebrity
    He is a celebrity to his fans, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    See post #17

See post #19...

All I can say is that I've never seen anything.
    I was the first live drummer for SoC, and spent a good deal of time with Simon for a couple weeks last year. I, too, never saw anything along these lines. Wishing him the very best, he's a good guy.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    If you share drugs with your friends it is classified as dealing or 'supply' in the UK.
    It's very similar here in the USA at least in New York State. To give, exchange or offer all fall under the definition of committing a sale. Although those initial charges will usually be reduced to a lesser offense in most cases where no currency is being exchanged.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal...00_220.00.html

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He has to numb the pain of the whole Natalie Wood thing somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    He is a celebrity to his fans, isn't he?
    Yeah, I guess. Depends on how we define "celebrity." I just meant in the general sense that it's getting picked up by tabloid magazines solely because of who his father is.

Wishing Simon all the best. He seemed a genuinely nice guy when I met him at Reggies last month. On a more selfish note, it would be a shame to miss out on any future SoC tours in the US because of the associated visa issues with a problem such as this. Here's hoping it's all some kind of misunderstanding.

Btw Randy, you kicked ass at that show!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How about some scandal from Phil's hot daughter?

I thought Randy played some great solos at ROSfest. I actually enjoyed Dimensionaut more live, than I did listening to it in the suv.

WeatherWiseCDC
    When Simon filmed the music video for "Powerless," he talked about Vancouver's downtown east side, which is a small district in the city where the homeless people have gathered; they're quite harmless, but unfortunately there is a drug problem there. There are safe injection sites, though, which ensures that these people do not inject themselves with "dirty" needles.

I don't appreciate that Simon calls the city of Vancouver a "war zone" or "not a very pleasant place." He may be referring to the DTSE only, which is not a nice place at all, but is not a war zone; a lot of these people just got themselves in some trouble (regardless of social class) and are down there struggling -- they are people who we sympathize for. The DTSE is limited to just a few blocks, and the homeless there are not usually hostile. I've never heard anyone here call the place "the war zone" -- it's a term Simon seems to have made up. It used to be the old downtown -- right next to the birthplace of Vancouver, Gastown. Eventually, as the downtown area expanded, the old area was abandoned and the homeless found a place there.

Here's an hour-long documentary about the DTSE:

Simon appears to have been a bit of a rebel as a kid; he seems to have grown up on his own, was involved in a court battle regarding whether his mom could own Phil's million-dollar estate in one of the wealthy neighborhoods, Shaughnessy (they lost the battle), and in his teens he was out playing with all sorts of bands and participating at raves. He went to school at Point Grey, which is one of the wealthier high schools in Vancouver. Everything west of Oakridge is considered the wealthy district; the city itself is one of the best places to live and everywhere on that map is a good place to live, but he seems to have battled a lot of demons. He was set up pretty well for life, receiving $10,000 a month from Phil during his youth (according to local news articles). Since the very beginning of his music career, he has been very defensive about being compared to his father -- in 2005, he tried to sue a filmmaker for depicting him as having had success as a musician (thus far) because of Phil. In most of his print interviews, he discussed trying to avoid following in his father's footsteps too closely. There seem to be a lot of personal struggles that we don't know about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...substance.html
    At one time there were claims that Phil Collins’s relationship with his older children came a distant second to his desire for international success.

With his second family installed in his 12-bedroom Surrey mansion, Simon and his half-sister Joely were made to stay in a converted barn 500 yards away when they visited.

Simon once said: ‘It was like we were suddenly paying guests. You start to feel maybe you’re in the way.’
    At the start of this video, he comments about being out of rehab. Considering he left Vancouver and doesn't really acknowledge it as home anymore (after 30 years), I don't know how much of an attachment he has to the city. He's had a pretty tough time, apparently. I don't know if he ended up getting into trouble with drugs in his youth, but he has been to rehab at least once, which he states in the video below.

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 07-07-2014 at 09:57 PM.