Thread: New Pink Floyd album in October

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Who is Polly Samson?
    Gilmour' s girlfriend
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Is this just another Gilmour PF tribute album featuring a zillion session musicians or is it the real mcoy!

No Roger, no PF!
    Roger Barrett is dead. What rock have you been hiding under trollhat?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I am shocked to say the least. Would love for Roger to be involved but at this stage of the game I'll take what I can get. For me, a Waterless Pink Floyd is better than no Pink Floyd.

Regards,
    Jon
    precisely
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Apparently, some of it was recorded at least 4 years ago. Rick Wright is supposed to be on it.
    now *that* is the real Pink Floyd!

As always I will try to go into this one with an open mind. We'll see.......could be interesting. I loved the Division Bell, so this could be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    From Polly Samson on Twitter :
    "Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called "The Endless River". Based on 1994 sessions, [it's] Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful."
    now I'm getting the tears of joy!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Gilmour' s girlfriend
    Aren't they married? She's also written and cowritten lots of the post Waters Floyd lyrics and lyrics for Gilmour's solo stuff.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Aren't they married? She's also written and cowritten lots of the post Waters Floyd lyrics and lyrics for Gilmour's solo stuff.
    Oh, and she had a book of short stories published by a real publisher a couple of years ago. They sounded pretty interesting too - anyone read them.

And she's hot, which is only fitting for the ultimate guitar god's lady.

No Roger..was that a problem in 1994? No Wright now, and this is a real disaster.

I don't care whether they call it Pink Floyd or David Gilmour, or David, Rick and Nick, or Rick with some help from his friends. I heard they had a lot of music from Division Bell left over, Wright had some more from Broken China and Gilmour has been writing a lot lately. Add to that there was plenty unreleased from the Barn Jams. Hopefully they have plenty of quality to choose from and if one is wishing, a fitting tribute song to Richard Wright. Don't care what they call it, I'm looking for a vibe. AUTO BUY, and I don't really do that anymore.

Funny the differences between this band name and Yes. Here is a band releasing an album that may contain only 2 classic era members, and possibly rehashing material that didn't make it onto previous Floyd albums. If this was Yes we were talking about, they would be roasted and lambasted (Money Grab! Bring Back Former Member ____! Retire Gracefully!, etc) in 27 pages here by now.

Me likey
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Hmm...could be interesting. Pretty wary though. A tour on the other hand...

Funny the differences between this band name and Yes. Here is a band releasing an album that may contain only 2 classic era members, and possibly rehashing material that didn't make it onto previous Floyd albums. If this was Yes we were talking about, they would be roasted and lambasted (Money Grab! Bring Back Former Member ____! Retire Gracefully!, etc) in 27 pages here by now.
    Nice try, but I think the fact that the Yes thread is some 90 pages and hasn't been officially released yet shows that all that many PEers care about is their 70s heroes releasing something...anything...in any form, no matter what. This above all else.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Nice try, but I think the fact that the Yes thread is some 90 pages and hasn't been officially released yet shows that all that many PEers care about is their 70s heroes releasing something...anything...in any form, no matter what. This above all else.
    Oh I didn't say we didn't care. Just different sets of standards and passion.

And I will be buying the new Yes and the new PF.

well, to be sure, Pink Floyd *always* had some radio Rock sensibilities... even in the Syd years, so an album of music recorded by 3 of the 4 classic era members, even if more mainstream, isnt an issue whereas Yes have turned out nothing But Pop Rock since Drama and fans keep hoping in vain that they will return to form. Pink Floyd never really departed from their 'Spacey Rock with mainstream sensibilities' form.

well... except perhaps The Final Crap which abandoned their Spacey-ness cause the megalomaniac fired Rick

From what I remember, Division Bell had enough material to be a double album. That after DB itself was 70+ minutes. The unreleased stuff is supposedly instrumental. That works for me. Yes has chased many different sounds and personnel since the glory days. Kind of confusing / frustrating the loyal from the classic days. Floyd, not so much. Two studio albums since Waters left 30+ years ago. Both fan bases would love to hear some classic / or inspired music from these groups. Yes has had some misses among the hits lately, maybe drawing a little ire. But the last album generated plenty of noise here, but early returns have not been too positive. I haven't heard it yet but some have said it sounds unpolished and incomplete. Why at this stage they would do that us beyond me.

PF gets it turn in a couple of months. Fingers crossed.

Suspended
    ...in which case the thing for you to do is... Lead by example.

I'll certainly approach this release with an open mind. The title makes me suspect it could be reminiscent of On An Island, which can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    From what I remember, Division Bell had enough material to be a double album. That after DB itself was 70+ minutes. The unreleased stuff is supposedly instrumental. That works for me.
    Same here - wouldn't mind at all some instrumental stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    The unreleased stuff is supposedly instrumental. That works for me.
    Well, since Durga McBroom has mentioned singing on it, I believe at least some of the material will have been adapted into songs. After all that's what happened with the rest of the same material that got turned into songs too, having started life as instrumentals too.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Well, since Durga McBroom has mentioned singing on it, I believe at least some of the material will have been adapted into songs. After all that's what happened with the rest of the same material that got turned into songs too, having started life as instrumentals too.
    that has always been the Pink Floyd way indeed

This is a real out of the blue bonus..........is it not?

As for the Pink Floyd vs King Crimson comment. I don't understand that one.Surly both are to be welcomed.

^^^THIS! The Division Bell was shite so what's the music that was left off going to sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Roger Barrett is dead. What rock have you been hiding under trollhat?
    ^^^WTF! Roger Barrett! Wakey wakey! No nore Gilmour tribute albums.End of! Would rather the Aussie Floyd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Is this just another Gilmour PF tribute album featuring a zillion session musicians or is it the real mcoy!

No Roger, no PF!
    No Jon no Yes!
    No Peter No Genesis!
    No Fish no Marillion!
    No Kevin no Dream Theater!
    No Mike no Dream Theater!

It's sooo boring...

No Fripp, no King Crimson
    No Brooker, no Procol Harum
    No Anderson, no Tull
    No Emerson, no ELP
    Would you argue with this?