Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs "Family" of bands/artists

chalkpie
    ^I could listen to "Vine" easily five times in a row, every day. That outro staccato groove rips out my entrails and then draw and quarters me. Yeah, I like it.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    This is incredible music. One of the best bands I've heard in a while. This song is so beautiful
    It really is. Beautiful in such an artistic manner. Although its still very new to me, this is music that you look at saying "How the flick did I ever survive without owning this?". I'd give your left nut to see them live

Spratleys Japs "Pony" is on the way from Waywide.

That'll be enough Cardiacs family cds for me for awhile.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

chalkpie
    "Paging Mr. MIKE KENEALLY......"

I think this SiB album would be something that MK (you? he?) would really, really, really love. I hear some "Keneally-isms" along with the obvious "Tim-isms" here in terms of the harmonic climate and arrangements. I know that Tim didn't invent the v - I cadence (minor v triad resolving to the major I triad) but I can't help but to associate that sound with him, and these guys aren't ashamed to take advantage of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I basically consider those Cardiacs
    Um...Oh...Kayyyy...Well, I'm not sure if they're actually part of the "family" of bands, but certainly Cardiacs influenced, so I would recommend that you investigate the aforementioned Ring, and also related band Zag and the Coloured Beads. http://www.zatcb.co.uk/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    The new Stars In Battledress album, In Droplet Form, is one of the best things by anyone. Certainly my album of the year.
    Frank, you'd love it.
    Lovely record.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Received William D. Drake-s/t cd yesterday and i'm digging it big time.Charming tunes,wonderful playing.

A winner.Highly recommended.I may have to check out Mr.Drake's other cd's.
    Just got s/t yesterday, it's got a different feel from Rising Of The Lights but equally delightful

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I'm guessing that those who've just discovered Stars in Battledress will also appreciate Arch Garrison. also a duo featuring the same keyboard player as Stars in Battledress plus Craig Fortnum of NSRO.
    Just got Arch Garrison yesterday, definitely a must for any Stars In Battledress & NSRO fans, really lovely.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Did anyone else get the email from Bill Drake's website:

"A beautiful new William D.Drake album is nearly finished, and will hopefully be released before the end of the year."

Great news, yes?

chalkpie
    Good man, Ian!

No, I'm not on Drake's mailing list but thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I am also an Oceansize noob. What are they like?
    i have long described them as the missing link between MOGWAi and PORCUPiNE TREE, which probably does them a little injustice – but they were (yes, were, since they split rather acrimoniously about three years ago) one of the bands that seriously took progressive rock music into the 21st century and both influenced the naughties and the teens. there are bands called “effloresce” and “frames” which is really saying something about the imprint that they have made and theirs is a gaping hole that they are leaving behind. no band is anyone’s property and calls for reunions are usually led by some selfishness – here i'll make an exception. dear ‘sizers, for the sake of common good and humanity in general: please reunite.

I just re-read and enjoyed this thread from waay back in 2014.

This is probably a question for Kavus: is the Monsoon Bassoon stuff available anywhere? I have been watching the set at Tim's 40th bday party and loving it.

Also, I guess The Wildhearts are close enough in la familia (since they toured with Cardiacs and Tim made that film a la Rotten Shed) but what are a few good Wildhearts albums? I do really dig those tunes on that Tim film. They seem like the wheels could come off or have already many times in regards to them, and that's a reason I like
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I've been looking for Monsoon Bassoon for ages, only place I found was over the odds on discogs. Hopefully Kavus will put it up on bandcamp at some stage
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've been looking for Monsoon Bassoon for ages, only place I found was over the odds on discogs. Hopefully Kavus will put it up on bandcamp at some stage
    Have you watched the gig at Tim's party? So great. The Monsooners start at around 3:45

https://youtu.be/SaLn17xSZZM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Have you watched the gig at Tim's party? So great. The Monsooners start at around 3:45

https://youtu.be/SaLn17xSZZM
    Nice! Thanks! Will check it out
    Ian

Hey folks.
    There’s been a plan to make all The Monsoon Bassoon stuff available for a few years. In addition to our album, I Dig Your Voodoo, there’s at least another album’s worth of B-sides, EP tracks and unreleased stuff too.
    I wrote extensively about the band (as well as Cardiacs) in my book with Steve Davis, Medical Grade Music, which was published in the UK last week. Anyone remotely business-savvy would have timed a re-release schedule with the book but, me being me, I didn’t get my shit together in time.

It will happen. Eventually!

Thanks for the interest.

Hey folks.
    There’s been a plan to make all The Monsoon Bassoon stuff available for a few years. In addition to our album, I Dig Your Voodoo, there’s at least another album’s worth of B-sides, EP tracks and unreleased stuff too.
    I wrote extensively about the band (as well as Cardiacs) in my book with Steve Davis, Medical Grade Music, which was published in the UK last week. Anyone remotely business-savvy would have timed a re-release schedule with the book but, me being me, I didn’t get my shit together in time.

It will happen. Eventually!

Thanks for the interest.
    Shit together? Never heard of it.

Congrats on the book - gonna order it today. My kids are like "Hey we know them!".

It’s a hackneyed penny dreadful with a typical cast of ne’er do wells, reprobates and recidivists,
    You’ll love it!

How about Lost Crowns?

Where would be a nifty place to order the book in the states?

No idea, I’m afraid. I think it’s only available in the UK at the moment and will probably incur whatever dreary tax gets added to send stuff to the US.
    There is an audiobook version with us reading our parts, though.

After an initial snafu I was able to successfully place an order through Rough Trade UK. They were offering signed copies and the cost after taxes & shipping was just under 50 USD. Tracking provided as well. We'll see how long it takes to get here.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Just started reading it, highly enjoyable so far as expected.

Ah man, i loved Iron Maiden as a kid (got off the boat after Seventh Son) and the stuff about the Maiden audience being kinder than those into The Smiths was very funny.

Your old school sounds horrendous though.

Just realised the above may constitute spoilers so no more from me until it's been read more widely. Read this book people.

I want to hear Aladdin now.

Thank you! There is a lovely Tim Smith produced Aladdin which remains in our vault. I will get this stuff out eventually!

No idea, I’m afraid. I think it’s only available in the UK at the moment and will probably incur whatever dreary tax gets added to send stuff to the US.
    There is an audiobook version with us reading our parts, though.
    Cheers! I took up Rough Trade's offer of a signed copy delivered at no great haste, but also engaged that grubby electronic merchant that is destroying our high streets for an audiobook copy through their Audible service, since for some reason related to a long historic commute to the office, I have a number of credits there. Presumably once the high street has been defeated the future commute shall be less congested.