Thread: Anthony Phiilips announcement

Anthony Phiilips announcement

PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1st July 2014

ANTHONY PHILLIPS:

Esoteric Recordings (a label of the Cherry Red Records group) is proud to announce the signing of legendary guitarist, composer and instrumentalist ANTHONY PHILLIPS to the label. Anthony was a founding member of the band Genesis alongside Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks with whom he recorded the albums From Genesis To Revelation and Trespass. After leaving the group in 1970, Anthony studied orchestration and harmony externally at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London. After passing his LGSM exams, he taught music at Reeds School and Peper Harrow whilst continuing to compose and record in his home studio.
    He marked his return to the commercial music scene with the release of his debut solo album The Geese & The Ghost in 1977 and since then has created a large and diverse output as a recording artist. As well as album releases such as Wise After The Event, Slow Dance, 1984 and Field Day, he has to date also released ten albums in the Private Parts & Pieces series and four volumes in the Missing Links series. Amongst other projects he collaborated with Harry Williamson on the large-scale instrumental work Tarka and he also co-wrote the stage musical Alice with Richard Scott. Whilst Anthony continues to release solo albums to critical acclaim, increasingly his music has also been much in-demand for film and television. Commissions have included scores for both dramas and documentaries including the award-winning Land of Dragons and Creatures of the Magic Water. He has also established himself as one of the most prolific and successful composers of library music, with tracks from his extensive output being regularly featured on commercials, films and television series throughout the world.

His extensive back catalogue will be celebrated with the release of a 5CD deluxe boxed set in October 2014 entitled “Harvest of the Heart”, which celebrates Anthony’s rich musical heritage by featuring recordings made between 1969 and the present day, drawn from his many albums. In addition the set will include ten previously unreleased tracks and the rare track “Compression” by Mike Rutherford, (previously unreleased on CD) which features Anthony and was the B-side to Mike’s 1980 single “Working in Line”.
    Anthony Phillips says; ''I'm delighted to be working with Mark Powell at Esoteric Recordings and being reunited with the esteemed Cherry Red Records after my one-off compilation with them in the mid 80s” Anthony also adds; “Their enthusiasm has been both warm and infectious, encouraging me to take the plunge with a new song-based album soon, and I consider myself fortunate to have found such a happy home for my sizeable catalogue!''
    Anthony’s catalogue releases will continue in January 2015 with the release of a deluxe edition of his legendary album “The Geese and the Ghost”, an album featuring Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins and Viv McCauliffe which will include a new 5.1 Surround Sound mix by Simon Heyworth. Further announcements will be made closer to release.

The official Anthony Phillips website: www.anthonyphillips.co.uk

Great news! Although I own the entire Ant Phillips catalogue, I may have to check out that 5-disc box in October, depending on what the ten unreleased tracks are. Hopefully some more people will get into Ant's work, there's some excellent stuff to be had. And another album on the horizon is always great news.

One minor point: He has actually released eleven titles in the PP&P series.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great news, indeed! I do not own much of his work (I have a vinyl LP called "Harvest of the heart" besides some other things).

I see a lot of filling in of Anthony's catalog in my future...

Mike

Nice!

Very nice!
    Not sure I will buy the 5CD box, but the 5.1 Geese and the Ghost is an auto-buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Great news! Although I own the entire Ant Phillips catalogue, I may have to check out that 5-disc box in October, depending on what the ten unreleased tracks are. Hopefully some more people will get into Ant's work, there's some excellent stuff to be had. And another album on the horizon is always great news.

One minor point: He has actually released eleven titles in the PP&P series.
    Ditto.

I hope the new song based cd he speaks of will have a full rhythm section and the production and treatment he deserves. And I hope the songs sound closer to 'Souvenir' and 'Birdsong' than 'Side Door' and Invisible Men.

Ha, he gave us the biography, very lovely chap

Wonderful

Now if only you good people at Esoteric would do a complete box set of the PP&P and Missing Links releases! I'd get that in a heartbeat. Especially if it has the usual great, lavish production of other Esoteric box sets (I love the Barclay James Harvest, Bill Nelson releases, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Now if only you good people at Esoteric would do a complete box set of the PP&P and Missing Links releases! I'd get that in a heartbeat.
    There is a nice boxed set of the first three Missing Links that's reasonably priced:

http://www.amazon.com/Missing-Links-...4253767&sr=8-1

....and the first ten PP&P were re-released over the last few years as really nice double-disc sets with bonus tracks:

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Parts-...4253859&sr=8-4

I know, not exactly what you meant, but it was a really well done reissue series that's worth owning.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I can't believe there's anything out there that Anthony has recorded and is unreleased. Seems like he's released every note he ever put on tape.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1st July 2014

Anthony’s catalogue releases will continue in January 2015 with the release of a deluxe edition of his legendary album “The Geese and the Ghost”, an album featuring Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins and Viv McCauliffe which will include a new 5.1 Surround Sound mix by Simon Heyworth. Further announcements will be made closer to release.

The official Anthony Phillips website: www.anthonyphillips.co.uk
    Yes I am interested in the 5.1 release of the Geese and the Ghost.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Very nice!

Great news; this is going to the top of my wishlist. Thanks for the update Vicky!

Good news. I have some of his stuff on record I've picked up cheaply, but very little on CD. 'Compression' alone will interest Genesis collectors.

Ant's output is interesting. Sometimes, I find him brilliant, such as tracks like 'Sisters of Remindum', 'Salmon Leap', 'Tropical Moon over Dorking', 'Paradise Found', etc... Other times, such as some of the new agey stuff, he's more bland to me. Mostly I love his music though.

Good news!

I have a viny copy of Harvest Of The Heart. It was good, but not the best representation of his body of work. Of course, a 5 CD box set should be able to cover it much better.
    I'll be getting the 5.1 mix of The Geese and the Ghost, but I'll have to see how the box set is priced before I decide on that.