Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Gabriel- Back to Front

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    In contrast I remember paying something like $125 for the "Up" tour and those were the mid-priced seats. As mentioned before he ended up playing to a 2/3 empty arena and I think the ticket prices were the main reason.
    Precisely what we paid for the "Up" show in Boston, though these were great seats, and one of the reasons (other than scale) we hadn't seen him again. Wasn't aware that the Back to Front tix were more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Precisely what we paid for the "Up" show in Boston, though these were great seats, and one of the reasons (other than scale) we hadn't seen him again. Wasn't aware that the Back to Front tix were more reasonable.
    "Back To Front" were still high, but seems like I paid around $80 in Detroit at the same venue. He had a much bigger crowd than on the "Up" tour.

At least on the first leg of the Up tour, when it was in the round, in some venues the higher seats in the venues were not sold, as the staging would have blocked the sightlines of the stage. I know this was the case in Boston, and some other venues on the US tour.

Mike

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For the Up tour he played at MSG.
    For the orchestra tour (name?) he played at Town Hall.
    Did he play in NYC for the Back to Front tour? If so, I somehow missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For the Up tour he played at MSG.
    For the orchestra tour (name?) he played at Town Hall.
    Did he play in NYC for the Back to Front tour? If so, I somehow missed it.
    The NYC show I saw with the orchestra was at Radio City, not Town Hall. Are you sure about the venue?

For Back to Front, Gabriel played at Jones Beach, no actual NYC date.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    The NYC show I saw with the orchestra was at Radio City, not Town Hall. Are you sure about the venue?

For Back to Front, Gabriel played at Jones Beach, no actual NYC date.

Mike
    Oh, you're right - Radio City! I was up so close it looked like Town Hall.

Oh, you're right - Radio City! I was up so close it looked like Town Hall.
    Ah, someone else who survived seeing Lou Reed butcher Solsbury Hill...

Mike

Ah, someone else who survived seeing Lou Reed butcher Solsbury Hill...

Mike
    Lou Reed wasn't there - I saw the Scratch My Back show. Was there an I'll Scratch Yours show there? If so , I missed that two .

Lou Reed wasn't there - I saw the Scratch My Back show. Was there an I'll Scratch Yours show there? If so , I missed that two .
    Ah! Gabriel did two nights at Radio City, I didn't realize that. Here's my lovely wife's video of the performance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHeCguIooQ

Reed came out before the second half to perform this. I guess, if you're really into Lou Reed, perhaps it was good? I didn't enjoy it much. Some of the crowd did though, they are shouting "Lou!" in appreciation, not "Boo!" in disagreement.

Mike

It is interesting to hear the comments on the Security Tour. It was the first time I had heard/seen PG. I had many friends tell me I should check him out, but for some reason I never did. Then PG came to my college, Northern Illinois University, and I went with friends to see the show. To this day, I can clearly remember that show and how captivated I was by the show. It was very minimal, but unbelievably captivating. (And IMHO the best band PG ever had) I left feeling I had some type of religious experience. Of course my friends always talk about the earlier tours, but that was very special to me and it is nice too hear I wasn't alone. It is a shame that that tour was never filmed.

Tony Fast has some nice pictures and stories from being in PG's band in the early years: http://synergy-emusic.com/petergabriel.html

My copy of the deluxe Back to Front just shipped from Amazon and should arrive tomorrow. Not sure why there was a brief delay on the shipping.

Watching the Athens BR recently, I was surprised that the most powerful number IMO was Mercy Street. So I'll be interested to see how it comes off in this concert. I've seen him do it while riding in the little boat (LOL) but I suspect the writhing on the ground version as in Athens is more effective. I also think it's better with just him singing, as opposed to with his daughter.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-04-2014 at 10:24 AM.

It arrived today. I have a couple of questions:

- how is the theatrical release BR as opposed to the full concert BR?

- did you know this release was coming? If so, how ? I didn't.

- did you know there was a theatrical release ? Was it actually in theaters?

More Than This performed at Real World:

(The Security Project posted this on Facebook)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    It was a "one time only in theatres" release (here in the US, back in late April iirc). I didn't go, so can't comment on any differences.

Ah! Gabriel did two nights at Radio City, I didn't realize that. Here's my lovely wife's video of the performance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHeCguIooQ

Reed came out before the second half to perform this. I guess, if you're really into Lou Reed, perhaps it was good? I didn't enjoy it much. Some of the crowd did though, they are shouting "Lou!" in appreciation, not "Boo!" in disagreement.

Mike
    I was at the show where Lou Reed played. I was sitting in the second to last row of the entire venue (I scored $10 tickets on Craigslist earlier that day so I couldn't complain) and I was still too close for that horrible rendition of "Solisbury Hill." It's too bad that my last two remembrances of Lou Reed (RIP) are this performance and the abomination that was "Lulu" with Metallica.

I thought the second half of the Gabriel orchestra show was superb.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Just watched Wall-E with my son - I'd forgotten Gabriel did that song for the end credits. Not one of his better ones but I guess they wanted something not too epic or moving. That'll do.

chalkpie

I watched this whole sucker the other night. GOOD.

The essay at the beginning of the Back to Front book mentions Kate Bush making a guest appearance to sing Don't Give Up on the 1987 tour, but it doesn't say at what show(s). Was that in London?

I don't have the DVD/Blu-Ray yet, so I can't comment on the release, but I did go to one of the screenings of the film, in NYC back in April or May, I forget exactly when. The screening was an edited version of the show (No 'Family and the Fishing Net' and maybe a few other cuts), with some talking head interviews with PG between some songs.

It was good. I'll pick up the release soon...

Mike

BR cut seems to just be the concert, no interviews. Theatrical appears to be more mixed.

As with ANY movie...if they're going to take the trouble to do a theatrical release there WILL be a home release. So, it was just a matter of time. I'd first seen mention of a street date maybe a couple of months ago via genesis-movement.org.

I am on PG's official mailing list, and there was several announcements about the theatrical release along the way. So yes, I knew about it but didn't go see it (saw the actual tour, so the theatrical version seemed like redundancy ).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    BR cut seems to just be the concert, no interviews. Theatrical appears to be more mixed.

As with ANY movie...if they're going to take the trouble to do a theatrical release there WILL be a home release. So, it was just a matter of time. I'd first seen mention of a street date maybe a couple of months ago via genesis-movement.org.

I am on PG's official mailing list, and there was several announcements about the theatrical release along the way. So yes, I knew about it but didn't go see it (saw the actual tour, so the theatrical version seemed like redundancy ).
    Ok, I think I've somehow been dropped from the Full Moon Club or whatever it's called. I'll have to re-register. Thanks.