Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bassoon in prog or RIO

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingalesandbombers View Post
    Still wondering...boy or girl? (you had to be there!)
    Both. As in, think Wendy Carlos.

When they played at 3RP, the guitarist/bassoonist was definitely a guy. I talked to him, very male.

But by the following year's Day Of Prog event, that's when the confusion comes in. One suspects that she's transgender, and at the time was in the process of transitioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Uh, bassoon. On at least a couple of tracks from the second album ("Binoculars", "Squarer for Maud", "Bryden 2-step"?). Georgie Born played cello there.
    She did not play on Of Queues and Cures but she did join the band after the album (along with Georgie Born). That lineup never recorded anything. Keith Thompson plays the oboe on OQ&C.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned the fabulous band GATTO MARTE (http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3802), especially their album Leolombrico. A bassoon player is one of their core members. It is a must have for fans of Belgian chamber rock like Juleverne and even After Crying.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned the fabulous band GATTO MARTE (http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3802), especially their album Leolombrico. A bassoon player is one of their core members. It is a must have for fans of Belgian chamber rock like Juleverne and even After Crying.
    I've only got their first two (they've been quite productive, owing I believe to the fact that such formally "semi-classical" stuff tends to pay off in official art grants et al.), but they are both very good. I especially like their debut, which fits well with the likes of Krakatoa and Interference Sardines, as well as with Julverne.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Some more Hinn íslenski şursaflokkur. This TV Show from '79 is very good fun (has to be seen)

Thanks a lot !

I saw the band a couple of times live in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Both. As in, think Wendy Carlos.

When they played at 3RP, the guitarist/bassoonist was definitely a guy. I talked to him, very male.

But by the following year's Day Of Prog event, that's when the confusion comes in. One suspects that she's transgender, and at the time was in the process of transitioning.
    Wendy Carlos is female, not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Thanks a lot !

I saw the band a couple of times live in those days.
    I would have loved to see them live. Their live DVD is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Lindsay Cooper played the bassoon on Fish Rising, but as far as I know she was never in Gong, and I don't think I've heard any bassoon on any of the Gong records.

Gryphon had a bassoon player, though that's obviously a different bag from "avant" or "RIO" or whatever silly label you want to put on the music.
    Is a Bassoon and a Krumhorn the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Wendy Carlos is female, not both.
    You should try and understand how some folks in their 60's like me,may tend to be somewhat confused about this. I remember being played Switched-On-Bach in band class and in 196? that artist was Walter Carlos. Same goes for Seasons and A Clockwork Orange. He did have a sex change as we all know and changed his name to Wendy. So,to today's generation there never was a Walter Carlos but that is Wendy's doing not anyone else. I see this a lot in here whenever someone even mentions this there is an autodefense mechanism prepared to correct the ignorant. I think it's fine for Walter to be Wendy,in the same way I think it's fine for anyone who wants to go through that. What I don't like is how people automatically attack others about it. I wish everyone could be more tolerant in general. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What I don't like is how people automatically attack others about it. I wish everyone could be more tolerant in general. Rant over.
    I think the problem is that it's not always clear which pronouns or whatever you're supposed to use. They didn't teach about such things when I was in elementary school, and I'd bet dollars to donuts, they still don't. At least, not Stateside, I don't imagine they do.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make (over seven months ago, I might add), was that someone asked if the guitarist/bassoonist from Sklenik was male or female and I was attempting to answer the question, which perhaps came off a little hamfisted, as I said, due to my American public school education. (shrug)

You should try and understand how some folks in their 60's like me,may tend to be somewhat confused about this. I remember being played Switched-On-Bach in band class and in 196? that artist was Walter Carlos. Same goes for Seasons and A Clockwork Orange. He did have a sex change as we all know and changed his name to Wendy. So,to today's generation there never was a Walter Carlos but that is Wendy's doing not anyone else. I see this a lot in here whenever someone even mentions this there is an autodefense mechanism prepared to correct the ignorant. I think it's fine for Walter to be Wendy,in the same way I think it's fine for anyone who wants to go through that. What I don't like is how people automatically attack others about it. I wish everyone could be more tolerant in general. Rant over.
    Perhaps others should realise how Wendy Carlos herself feels about this. Nowadays it seems to be some kind of fashion to be coming out for it, but I think transgenders who changed earlier still feel it is no-ones business but theirs. How long should one have to live as a female, to not be reminded at that dreadfull past?

I don't know how to categorize them but:

These New Puritans Hidden

The LP began as a "Concerto For Bassoon" but soon turned into something way bigger. Lots of bassoon, oboe, electronics and really sick beats.

Highly recommended.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I would have loved to see them live. Their live DVD is awesome.
    I saw them the first time 1979 by accident at a free outdoor 'cultural' festival in a large park in Copenhagen arranged by the Danish Communist Party, DKP (Hardcore Sovjet line, they dont exist anymore). Never heard of şursaflokkur beforehand, just discovered them playing in a small tent passing by with a beer in my hand. şursaflokkur didnt exactly fit in, no propaganda, and music that required more braincells than most agitprop I have encountered. It was exotic and fun and reminded me somewhat of Area or Stormy Six (the mix of folk, jazz and a powerfull unrestrained singer). Bliss it was, even though no Danish people understood a word of the lyrics (They would have thousand years ago). There were some Icelanders too, since Denmark was the Icelanders preferred town for a university education (at the time). Iceland was a part of the Danish kingdom untill 1944.

I saw them 2 times at that festival, I think the second time was the next year same place, or was it the day after...(age...) Saw them indoor a year after. Allways a pleasure, was really impressed by the guitarist.
    A finnish friend of mine knows one of them personally, and says he became a whale scientist/researcher.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-05-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Is a Bassoon and a Krumhorn the same thing?
    Far from it. Take the s/t Gryphon album; that deep and talking reed instrument in the beginning of "Three Jolly Butchers" is bassoon, while the nosy (no "i" missing) tight one in the main 'riff' () of "Sir Gavin Grimbold" is krumhorn.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Krumhorn:

Basson:

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I don't know how to categorize them but:

These New Puritans Hidden

Highly recommended.

Great, great band indeed. And they play progressive rock music of today - these and dozens of other exciting groups that aren't discussed by many folks in here except for the usual ones.

Sean Wayland's "Grey Goo" from "Barrenjoey" features some bassoon-playing by Ben Wendel.

Motor Totemist Guild, on occasion.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes