Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW album by Saga - Sagacity

NEW album by Saga - Sagacity

I've been a fan of Saga since 1980 ever since seeing "Don't Be late" on MTV and purchased every one of their albums...savoring each and everyone as they're released. I never imagined that 34 years later I'd be listening to not only a new Saga album but one of their best to date!

Everyone just gleams on Sagacity - Gilmour's Keys..Ian's guitars...Jim's outstanding bass lines, Michael's ageless vocals and newcomer Mike Thorne's superb drumming.

Sagacity embodies everything that makes Saga's music so great....complexity...musicianship....hooks that hook you in and don't let go and even some humor (found myself laughing during the track Press 9)

Sagacity rates up there with World's Apart which has been my all time favorite. Congrats to the band for setting the bar even higher for themselves - 10/10

echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

It's such a wonderful album!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I bought the 1cd jewel case release of their previous album, 20/20, then saw they had a 2cd version which I hadn't known. So I still haven't listened to 20/20, planning to upgrade. Anyone have the 2cd and how vital is it? I do prefer digipaks.

And is there a 2cd version of Ssgacity?

Thanks for starting the thread. Probably something I will have to pick up/purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I bought the 1cd jewel case release of their previous album, 20/20, then saw they had a 2cd version which I hadn't known. So I still haven't listened to 20/20, planning to upgrade. Anyone have the 2cd and how vital is it? I do prefer digipaks.

And is there a 2cd version of Ssgacity?
    There is a Special Edition of Sagacity - the 2nd side has excellent live tracks from the Swr1 Rockarena 2013 concert. I like anything extra when it comes to Saga
    echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread. Probably something I will have to pick up/purchase.
    My pleasure! You won't be disappointed...it really is a fantastic album
    echolynfan

Quote Originally Posted by echolynfan View Post
    There is a Special Edition of Sagacity - the 2nd side has excellent live tracks from the Swr1 Rockarena 2013 concert. I like anything extra when it comes to Saga
    Thanks - do you have the 1cd/1dvd 20/20, and if so how do you like the DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks - do you have the 1cd/1dvd 20/20, and if so how do you like the DVD?
    I have it. I like it. It's a making-of dvd. It's a bit longer than the one with Trust.

There already is a thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There already is a thread!!!
    Excellent! You can never have enough Saga threads! It's a good thing I started this thread because luvyesmusic missed that one and possibly other people as well
    echolynfan

Jon Neudorf
    Saga has been one of the most consistent bands over the last 3 decades and they don't appear to be slowing down any time soon. They might even be getting better with age as both 20/20 and 10000 days are both excellent. The latest will be purchased without hearing a single note.

Regards,
    Jon

Bought this today! Listening to it now. All I can say so far is that Chrichton's guitar is too high in the mix & the keyboards too low!!!!

Bought this today! Listening to it now. All I can say so far is that Chrichton's guitar is too high in the mix & the keyboards too low!!!!
    I personally love the mix and would assume that after 20 albums they have a handle on how they want their music to sound
    echolynfan

I just noticed that the Yes thread has like 83 pages. I'm a huge fan of yes but the samples from their new album sound like bad versions of elevator music. Saga has produced such quality music and show no signs of slowing down - it's a shame that they hardly get any recognition from the prog-community.
    echolynfan

I looked on-line at BEST Buy last night and even with them I think you can pre-order the new YES c.d. for $10 or $10.99 and Saga's for $16.99. Almost seems like they will have to somewhat dump the new YES product to sell it as pre-order until recently was also $16.99.

I personally love the mix and would assume that after 20 albums they have a handle on how they want their music to sound
    Their 'classic' period always had a more pronounced keyboard production. I've missed that over subsequent releases and Sagacity the keys are hardly audible!!!

Their 'classic' period always had a more pronounced keyboard production. I've missed that over subsequent releases and Sagacity the keys are hardly audible!!!
    I've noticed that the "new" thing now (in an effort to "modernize) is to layer the instruments into one overall sound - like what Rush has done with their latest albums (which I dislike btw). When listening to Images At Twilight - Jim's keys are in your face and have a distinctive 80's sound. I don't mind it with Saga but I have to admit I do miss those in-your-face-keys
    echolynfan

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    ... layer the instruments into one overall sound - like what Rush has done with their latest albums (which I dislike btw). When listening to Images At Twilight
    Tuisdh really only did that with "Vapor Trails."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Tuisdh really only did that with "Vapor Trails."
    Vapor Trails was a worse mush but Clockwork Angels continues the heavily layered trend IMO - not as much as Vapor though. I do miss the separation of instruments like on Moving Pictures - still their best album and one of the best albums ever!
    echolynfan

I looked on-line at BEST Buy last night and even with them I think you can pre-order the new YES c.d. for $10 or $10.99 and Saga's for $16.99. Almost seems like they will have to somewhat dump the new YES product to sell it as pre-order until recently was also $16.99.
    Sagacity is down to $14.88 on Amazon this morning

layer the instruments into one overall sound -

what we have here is Pro-tools or some program similar that more and more bands are using to either record or mix their CD's with... It may be easy to use and/or inexpensive to use, but it really takes away a lot of depth in the recordings.. Saga's CD's have had this sound for the last few and the new CD from IQ also seems to suffer from it. I'm not up with the tech side of things.. but finding recordings where the instruments sound like they are coming from different parts of the soundstage and different volumes seems to be less the norm (thank goodness for S Wilson, his recordings don't suffer from this.) Worst example of this I can speak of is the title track from IQ's The Road Of Bones... when the whole band crashes in 2/3's of the way through the song the volume stays exactly the same.. in the old days this should have had you jump out of your seat.
    IMHO

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I agree, that's something missing from most new recordings. Leaving space in the mix instead of so much layering.

That's compression, loudness.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Sagacity is down to $14.88 on Amazon this morning
    I just bought a new copy with the bonus CD from an Amazon third party seller for $6.99! But it's been a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I have it. I like it. It's a making-of dvd. It's a bit longer than the one with Trust.
    I finally got and watched the 20/20 bonus DVD last night. I kind of wish it was longer, but it was still enjoyable.