Thread: Infinity Speaker Question

Infinity Speaker Question

Can anyone identify this set and let me know what it's worth? It's at a local auction tomorrow and I might check them out.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The model should be on the back.

Infinity Alpha 50, black ash finish. Originally $600/pr, good used price about half that. They're described as a nice wing speaker for home theatre sound systems. Vintage 2007, discontinued now.

http://www.bootic.com/infinity/elect...inity-alpha-50
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-26-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Make sure you check that the foam surrounds on the speaker drivers are ok
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Thanks, gents!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Make sure you check that the foam surrounds on the speaker drivers are ok
    Do they STILL use that foam on their speakers? I've had to redo the surrounds on a couple of Infinitys, simply because I like their sound; I like that multicell tweeter they used to use. Good highs, clear, but not strident. I don't know if the set referenced here uses that tweeter - it doesn't look like it.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

They sell re-foam kits for them
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

My "A" system has a set of Infinity towers as the fronts, they each have 3 10" woofers

Love them - good luck with the bidding

Needed to edit, my ride is an Infiniti, speakers are Infinity

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 06-27-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    They sell re-foam kits for them
    \
    Yes, not a big deal. I've replaced the surrounds twice on my JBL L40 speakers.

I looked at them tonight. The little tweeter at the top was broken on one of them. Everything else at the auction was junk, so I didn't even bother to stick around.

They woulda looked real nice on either side of my 50" plasma.

I have a pair of Infiniti Kappa 9's and a pair of Kappa 8.1's for decades and simply love them! Get them if you can...

Brian, do you have any Infinity components in your Infiniti? You should get real good gas mileage...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Brian, do you have any Infinity components in your Infiniti? You should get real good gas mileage...
    Sadly, I do not!

It's got a Bose "Studio on Wheels", and I added a 500W mono amp and a 12" sub in the trunk

It does OK, but I pine for the days when going aftermarket was simpler

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

When I bought my sound system in about 1980, I was torn between the JBLs and the Infinity speakers. I went with the JBLs, but just barely.

Infinitys are nice.

So are Infinitis.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Infinitys are nice.

So are Infinitis.
    Ah, but only infinitesimally.

I've got an old pair of Infinity 2-way bookshelf speakers sitting on my oversize desk in my man cave. My brother bought them for my parents in the late 80s. The foam around the second driver was rotting away on each one. I found a company that made replacements and now they're stellar. The sound is pretty sharp, I get decent separation on heavily orchestrated stuff. I run the computers outputs into an old JVC receiver and added on a Polk subwoofer to supply some bottom. It's not the equal of the system we have in the living room but it's a damn site better than any computer speakers I've ever heard.

P1000688.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The foam around the second driver was rotting away on each one.
    What is it with foam surrounds from the '80s? I had to have my woofers rebuilt several years ago because the surrounds were being eaten by some kind of bacteria.

Was there a decade of edible organic surrounds or something???