Thread: Guitar exercises

Guitar exercises

I just bought a Yamaha Pacifica package. The fundamental exercises in this video seem to me like a really good idea since I'm a beginner. Tho I think he covered probably 3 months worth of stuff to do. I could probably spend a month on the first 2 or three exercises. your thoughts?

But be carefull - play someting that sounds like music too, or it will get rather boring.

like a really simple riff? like maybe the "Satisfaction" riff.

Memorize the Star-Spangled Banner.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

okay but I have to be walked through it slowly to start with - or at least get the first note

Right - but routine in moving your fingers fluently about on the fretboard with chords is also important.
    Using a heavily distorted guitarsound, can make it more difficult to hear if you are doing it right.
    Take a simple song you know, preferably like, a blues, something by Animals, Bob Dylan, Kinks, what-ever, find the chords (online everything is there), look up how to play the chords, and then play along with a youtube video, untill it sounds right. Your ears are the judge allways.

Here's a link to a tab.

Tab is very easy to read.

Google for help if your lost.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/am...banner_tab.htm

I have all my beginner students start with this , usually on the second or third lesson.

It's a very familiar melody that gives them confidence to move on.

1. I take it the numbers on those lines/strings represent the frets to press down on the strings they're on.
    2. is the B string the 2nd closest string to the floor, next to what must be the high E?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    1. I take it the numbers on those lines/strings represent the frets to press down on the strings they're on.
    2. is the B string the 2nd closest string to the floor, next to what must be the high E?
    That would be correct.
    Unless you play Albert King style.

I know who Albert King is but don't know his style. I'll try to learn some fairly simple heavy stuff for starters (stoner/sludge). or maybe Morphine. I'll have to work up to Dylan songs. his early songs had as many chords in one song as EVH or Buckethead would play single notes in a song. <----exaggeration to make a point.

another question... I've been told there's not any one correct way to play the bass part on any given song. Is that true for guitar too?
    I'm saving up for a beginner electric bass too.
    Last edited by davis; 06-24-2014 at 02:48 PM.

I know who Albert King is but don't know his style. I'll try to learn some fairly simple heavy stuff for starters (stoner/sludge). or maybe Morphine. I'll have to work up to Dylan songs. his early songs had as many chords in one song as EVH or Buckethead would play single notes in a song. <----exaggeration to make a point.

another question... I've been told there's not any one correct way to play the bass part on any given song. Is that true for guitar too?
    I'm saving up for a beginner electric bass too.
    The fretboard (bass or guitar, or violin, etc.) allows the same note to be played at different string/fret positions. The "correct" way is the one that produces the tone you want, while being easy to get to from the last phrase, and providing ease of movement to the next.

My bassist and I differ greatly over that. He almost never uses open strings, whereas I use them whenever possible to facilitate movement.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Justinguitar are free guitar lessons specializing in beginner/intermediate skills.

He's really helpful: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=justinguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    My bassist and I differ greatly over that. He almost never uses open strings, whereas I use them whenever possible to facilitate movement.
    I've seen video of the Stones on stage (not that Keith is my hero or anything; he's not) and noticed that Keith was plucking 1 open string to start Honky Tonk Women. that looked so simple. I thought, hey, I can do that; you wanna pay me a million bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Justinguitar are free guitar lessons specializing in beginner/intermediate skills.

He's really helpful: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=justinguitar
    thanks for the link. I will go check that out.

I've seen video of the Stones on stage (not that Keith is my hero or anything; he's not) and noticed that Keith was plucking 1 open string to start Honky Tonk Women. that looked so simple. I thought, hey, I can do that; you wanna pay me a million bucks?
    Like him or not, Keef established a style and writes music that moves a great number of people. I'm not one of them, but I do know that when he plays, his style is recognizable. There are only one or two Stones songs that I will listen to actively (one being "Waiting on a friend"). So, although they're not even CLOSE to being my favourite artist, I can see the basic style that draws some people in. It exists in all forms of music, whether I like that style or not, that some of the people playing that style are true artists. I've learned some for studying the music of certain artists in styles I *don't* particularly like, as well as that from my favourite styles.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I like most Stones music from the debut through Goats Head Soup. after that, imo, the good songs are pretty isolated. speaking of them and Keith, I'm pretty sure my hands are about the same size as Bill Wyman's. back on topic: Keith has admiitted he's no virtuoso but that he never set out to be one. I like that. I'll actually be able to sit down with my guitar this afternoon/evening and start getting acquainted (this is my work dept's 6th week in a row of overtime). I'm more interested in feel than in technical proficiency.

Regarding chords, as a beginner I would practice C major to F major to G major strumming 4 down strokes per chord, at a slow pace of 4 beats per measure. Once that's accomplished and you're able to play it a little faster and evenly, try playing the same thing again counting 1-2-and 3-4 making sure that on the "and" , (which is the upbeat), your using an upstroke with your right hand.

Exercises should , (if possible), be played in all positions by simply moving from 1 position to the next. By the time you reach the 12th fret, you will have less space and will have to focus on getting used to squeezing or somewhat re-positioning your fingers. That's what you want to do..so you do not feel alien to the various positions within the fretboard. Once you get used to how your fingers should land, (even before positioning them), it opens up reassurance and confidence in knowing what's in store for you. A chromatic scale up and down the neck, is good for building up your technique and it isn't difficult to play. Never be dismissive of the minor and major scales either. This forces you to memorize skipping over frets in which case the chromatic does not. A more complex exercise that builds up your right hand alternate picking technique and forces your left hand fingering into a slightly awkward position is "The Spider". It's called "The Spider" because while playing the exercise...the left hand emulates the movement of a real spider crawling across the fretboard..Lol! Rick Derringer gives instruction on how to practice the exercise on a youtube vid that I believe is still available. He was very young on the vid and by viewing the vid, you can clearly see that he was much more diverse than an average Rock guitarist. Someday you should learn that exercise. I still use it for a warm up before entering the stage. When you walk into the club , out of the freezing cold, this exercise will get your blood flowing very quickly.I highly recommend it.