Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is "13" Black Sabbath's Best Ablum Ever?

Definitely not.

But it's a great album.

It's their best ablum the same way Now What?! is DP's best ablum and A Different Kind Of Truth is VH's best ablum.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Fuck no. Is it as good an album as we're to expect from them... probably. I agree with the other sentiments here that stated that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was their peak.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    It's their best ablum the same way Now What?! is DP's best ablum and A Different Kind Of Truth is VH's best ablum.
    Well....I happen to also think that "Different Kind Of Truth" ranks right up with Van Halens best work.

Not their best, but definitely my No.2 fav at the moment, having seen them live twice in the last year. The songs from 13 are absolute killers live!

Sorry, no.

Well, for me personally I tend to reach for 13 more often than SBS or Sabotage. Remember, I have no sense of nostalgia for Black Sabbath. Besides all the usual compilation hits that I've been familiar with for decades, I never really heard a proper Black Sabbath album from beginning to end until last year. For whatever reason SBS and Sabotage don't knock me over like the rest of you guys. Some good songs, some experimentation, etc. but overal neither album blows my doors off.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I guess Im the only person that really loves that album....just for the title track, Johnny Blade, and Shockwave alone but I pretty much like every track. Theres a sense of apathy throughout the whole thing: normally, this is a negative, but it works for me here. Like 13, Im not saying its their best album, but I certainly like it and opt for it many times when wanting a Sabbath fix
    Not at all. I'm probably weird, but Never Say Die might be my favorite of the Ozzy-era albums. They incorporated new ideas while still sounding like Sabbath, while the playing is some of the best any of them ever did.

Not their best album. But really good. And a VERY worthy end if its their last.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

I was somewhat disappointed with this when it was released. To my ears, "Methademic" was the only track worthy of the legacy. I've gone back to it now and it sounds considerably better. The drummer still doesn't have the panache and groove of Bill Ward. They spend too much time in that slow stoner tempo for my taste, not enough shifts into high gear. "Damaged Soul" plods along for far too long before the gears finally shift and I still skip the first two tracks. But it's a confident record. When Iommi and Geezer lock into a riff there's still some teeth in it. And "Zeitgeist" may actually be Iommi's best acoustic piece ever. If this is their swan song, I can live with it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was somewhat disappointed with this when it was released. To my ears, "Methademic" was the only track worthy of the legacy. I've gone back to it now and it sounds considerably better. The drummer still doesn't have the panache and groove of Bill Ward. They spend too much time in that slow stoner tempo for my taste, not enough shifts into high gear. "Damaged Soul" plods along for far too long before the gears finally shift and I still skip the first two tracks. But it's a confident record. When Iommi and Geezer lock into a riff there's still some teeth in it. And "Zeitgeist" may actually be Iommi's best acoustic piece ever. If this is their swan song, I can live with it.
    I didn't experience this at all, but then I tend to often equate the very best music with patience in terms of its development.

I'd recommend listening to "Dear Father" about three times in a row; loud. That might be the side of the new Black Sabbath that gets your blood pumping. It's truly the opposite of any real or perceived "stoner groove."

no
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

I like 13 quite a bit. While it perhaps (for me anyway) doesn't get up to the lofty standards of the first 6 albums, or the first 2 with Dio, or Born Again for that matter (huge fan here of that one!) I'd say I like it better than Technical Ecstasy & Never Say Die, as well as the Tony Martin era albums. Over time I even now enjoy it more than The Devil You Know release. I think I basically had no expectations, even though Sabbath is one of my all time favorite bands, but given Ozzy's lackluster track record in recent years, I wasn't expecting much but they totally surprised me. 13 is leagues better than I ever imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Over time I even now enjoy it more than The Devil You Know release. I think I basically had no expectations, even though Sabbath is one of my all time favorite bands, but given Ozzy's lackluster track record in recent years, I wasn't expecting much but they totally surprised me. 13 is leagues better than I ever imagined.

I was actually quite disappointed with “The Devil You Know”. I was really looking forward to it when it came out, but think it is a far cry from either “Heaven And Hell” or “Mob Rules” (I did not care much for “Dehumnizer”either). To my ears “13” blows “Devil” away.

13 really kicked my ass! It is so good. Totally unexpected. It's hard to believe that Iommi had cancer and ozzy fell off the wagon during the recording of the album. SBS, Sabotage, the debut and H&H are my favorites. However, I like 13 just as much as the rest of the 1st six along with Never Say Die and Mob Rules. I consider all of the albums I mentioned as classic Black Sabbath. Born Again is pretty awesome too.