Thread: CSN&Y 1974 to be Released on July 8....

CSN&Y 1974 to be Released on July 8....

I'm pretty excited to get this! Looks like there's a lot of tracks that never made it onto albums with the quartet playing together. The DVD included is the Capitial Centre concert in Landover, MD which was filmed on their "Tele-Screen". I was actually at that concert! If I recall correctly, they played until well after midnight with 3 sets. Jess Colin Young was the opening act.

I'm interested to see if the songs were played as well as my 16 year old self remembers them!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 07-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Full tracklist here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz358XHWgbe

Looks like the DVD will only be 8 songs, filmed at the Capital Center and Wembley Stadium.

I wonder why they didn't just include the entire Wembley video in the set? Yes, it is highly flawed, but it's a true document of a historic gig. At eight songs, they might as well not have bothered with the DVD. I'll probably get the set, though.

Just listened to this whole thing a couple of times. It's pretty ragged, although it's interesting to hear the full band teatment of a lot of each member's solo material. The vocals are not nearly as smooth as I expected and the overall sound is a bit thin. I think I prefer the expanded and remastered 4-Way Street to this. I was at one of the source shows for this in Landover, MD as a 16 year old and thought the concert was way better than represented here. I was 16, though, and probably not very critical! This tour was a huge deal at the time. Anybody else get this?

Saw an interview with Nash on CNN--he's been working on it for 4 plus years---going to get it too---

I'm always a bit leery with CSN&Y shows. The vocals are always a wild card and I've heard very few recordings where they all sound good.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm always a bit leery with CSN&Y shows. The vocals are always a wild card and I've heard very few recordings where they all sound good.
    Very true--and currently Stills is having big vocal issues.

I have a live show from that period but not sure if it's this exact one. Unfortunately it's painfully bad. Not sure if that's the way the whole tour went, but the vocals were so awful i can't sit through it. So anyone looking to buy this, better check it out first. BTW, I'm a huge CSNY fan. Probably why I like harmonies in prog so much after growing up with that.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I doubt (he says hopefully) that they'd release one where the vocals were awful; maybe a few clams here and there. But flat-out awful? Can't see them subjecting themselves to such obvious scrutiny. Of course, I say that having pre-ordered it

I would love to have a great performance from that time, so a detailed review would be appreciated.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

If you're a fan, it's definitely worth having just for the group treatment of a lot of the solo stuff, particularly Neil Young's stuff. On the group stuff, it suffers from being a stadium tour fueled by excess and the playing and singing seems rough and the sound a bit thin and distant to my ears. On Guinivere for example, it seems like Graham Nash is searching to find a harmony. The backup vocals on Military Madness are also pretty bad. I like 4 Way Street better since the singing is better. Maybe the playing, too.

If you're looking for a complete performance, this isn't it! It's cobbled together from several shows on the tour where they tried to pick the best version of each song played.

I tried to grab the video off Dime the other week from Wembley. There were 163 people seeding it but they must have pulled it because it was going to be released. I never did get any of it downloaded.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!