Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Queen Live At The Rainbow "74

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It seems as there is going to be also a new studio Album with Mercury on vocals.
    Made from heavily reworked studio leftovers of the 80s.
    With 'Made In Heaven' they were making songs out of mere fragments of Mercury vocals and also songs released as solo projects. If there was any real gold left in the vaults, I reckon it would have come out then. ''Made In Heaven' was not at all bad, though- better than several of their 80s albums, probably!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It seems as there is going to be also a new studio Album with Mercury on vocals.
    Made from heavily reworked studio leftovers of the 80s.
    Scrapping the barrel or milking the pot? Freddie is turning in his grave right now.

the project is on hold..... some tracks feature Michael Jackson and the Jackson family is trying get their cut from it.

My Live at the Rainbow '74 box arrived yesterday! Beautiful box set and one of the cool extras is a tour itinerary from the booking agent with a note gently reminding the band to please not destroy their hotel rooms
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I've only listened to the November show so far and it's a beautiful thing. Yeah, I don't know how the harmony vocals sounded that thick with 3 singing. Just a brilliant show. Can't wait to watch the video.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I've only listened to the November show so far and it's a beautiful thing. Yeah, I don't know how the harmony vocals sounded that thick with 3 singing. Just a brilliant show. Can't wait to watch the video.
    The harmony vocals were always flown in on the film. I've always wished they could remove that obvious overdubbing because it really sounds overcooked, but it's probably on the stereo master at this point. Not a big deal ...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    The harmony vocals were always flown in on the film. I've always wished they could remove that obvious overdubbing because it really sounds overcooked, but it's probably on the stereo master at this point. Not a big deal ...
    Ya know, I had someone argue with me about that on a Queen forum when I first got a bootleg DVD of this show about 10 years ago. This guy insisted "That's the way they sounded in concert", and I was trying to explain to them that were was "something fishy" with the vocals, specifically on Ogre Battle. And this guy refused to accept the concept they might have done some overdubs.

I saw them with Mott at the Orpheum (Boston) in early 1974 - - - and a handful of times after that.

Had to quickly run to the bathroom for some improve toilet paper ear plugs that night - - - impressive and memorable show.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    I saw them with Mott at the Orpheum (Boston) in early 1974 - - - and a handful of times after that.

Had to quickly run to the bathroom for some improve toilet paper ear plugs that night - - - impressive and memorable show.
    I was always bummed that I didn't get to see Queen until the '77 News of the World tour with the crown lighting rig, it was a great show but Queen II has always been my fave album and I always wondered what the '74 tour was like. Well, now I have the box set and I'm about to find out
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Ya know, I had someone argue with me about that on a Queen forum when I first got a bootleg DVD of this show about 10 years ago. This guy insisted "That's the way they sounded in concert", and I was trying to explain to them that were was "something fishy" with the vocals, specifically on Ogre Battle. And this guy refused to accept the concept they might have done some overdubs.
    Yeah, that's just somebody being completely ridiculous. I've always adored this concert and feel it shows the hard rock side of the band at their best, but those overdubbed/padded/whatever vocals (IE: "Ogre Battle") are just plain obvious.

We saw them in Montreal in 1977 (Forum IIRC) for that tour - - - another incredible show.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Yeah, that's just somebody being completely ridiculous. I've always adored this concert and feel it shows the hard rock side of the band at their best, but those overdubbed/padded/whatever vocals (IE: "Ogre Battle") are just plain obvious.
    It's been awhile since I've watched my bootleg copy (Amazon tells me they are "preparing to ship" my copy I preordered), but as I recall, not only is it obvious that you're hearing more three (or even four) vocalists in some places, but in others, they left the live vocals intact. If you listen carefully, you can tell that there redid some (but not all) of the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I was always bummed that I didn't get to see Queen until the '77 News of the World tour with the crown lighting rig, it was a great show but Queen II has always been my fave album and I always wondered what the '74 tour was like. Well, now I have the box set and I'm about to find out
    Dude, if we ever meet, may I have the opportunity to slap you in the face for "feeling bummed" that you "only" got to see them on the News Of The World tour?! You don't know what I'd give to have the opportunity to have seen them on any tour that didn't have an escapee from either Bad Company or American Idol on lead vocals. Hell, I'd settle for the opportunity to see them on the Hot Space, if that was the only option. Dammit, how come a blue police call box never mysteriously materializes in my back garden?!

Besides which, I've got bootlegs from every tour. The setlists during those late 70's tours (hell, even the early 80's tours) were still loaded with lots of cool songs. But then, I actually like stuff like Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Calling All Girls and It's Late.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-11-2014 at 04:12 PM.

I must get this, I loved those early albums and was lucky enough to see the Hyde Park gig. I don't remember any sound issues this far down the line, I was young and just ecstatic to be at a free gig from one of my bands.

I would have given anything back then for a couple more years of age and to have caught these early Rainbow shows, and the tour with Mott (Live at Hammersmith and Broadway is one of my favourite live albums ever). I've never really followed Queen since those early days, and so all of these bootleg videos have eluded me, but I will be happily transported back to my early teen youth with this set.

Just ordered the dvd and cd on amazon. Should be a nice addition. Thanks for the thread, I may not have heard about this.

Dude, if we ever meet, may I have the opportunity to slap you in the face for "feeling bummed" that you "only" got to see them on the News Of The World tour?! You don't know what I'd give to have the opportunity to have seen them on any tour that didn't have an escapee from either Bad Company or American Idol on lead vocals. Hell, I'd settle for the opportunity to see them on the Hot Space, if that was the only option. Dammit, how come a blue police call box never mysteriously materializes in my back garden?!

Besides which, I've got bootlegs from every tour. The setlists during those late 70's tours (hell, even the early 80's tours) were still loaded with lots of cool songs. But then, I actually like stuff like Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Calling All Girls and It's Late.
    ok, well "bummed" is maybe not the right word and I'm not complaining! I'll admit I was lucky and saw them on 3 tours in a row, '77, '78, and '80. I'm happy I got to see them in '77 before Freddie went with the Village People look, and the '80 show was the best when they opened with the We Will Rock You full band version medley as on the Live Killers album, but I would've especially loved to have seen the Night at the Opera tour. I did have a vinyl boot of a mid 70's Japanese show that included Ogre Battle (my all time fave Queen song) many years ago but it was horrific sound quality. Prior to getting the box set the only early live footage I saw was of them doing Sweet Lady on one of those mid 70's In Concert tv shows...I can't wait to get that '74 DVD playing

I saw Queen once, in 85 at Live Aid, and quite simply everyone else might as well have stayed at home that day because Queen just blew everyone else away!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I saw Queen once, in 85 at Live Aid, and quite simply everyone else might as well have stayed at home that day because Queen just blew everyone else away!
    That's pretty consistently what I've always heard everyone say. I think it was Midge Ure who admitted he wasn't much of a Queen fan, but even he thought they were one of the highlights of the day. And certainly, if you watch the video, you can see Queen brought their A game with them.

The setlists during those late 70's tours (hell, even the early 80's tours) were still loaded with lots of cool songs. But then, I actually like stuff like Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Calling All Girls and It's Late.
    "It's Late" is a great tune!

I saw them around '77 or '78; I can never remember exact dates of concerts I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    "It's Late" is a great tune!

I saw them around '77 or '78; I can never remember exact dates of concerts I've seen.
    It's late and spread your wings are the only 2 songs I love from news of the world. I was disappointed when that album came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    It's late and spread your wings are the only 2 songs I love from news of the world. I was disappointed when that album came out.
    What about "All Dead, All Dead?" Depressing subject matter, but a great tune! Brian May's "guitar orchestra" section in the middle can reduce me to tears.

But I'm with you, Rick; I found News of the World to be pretty disappointing. They redeemed themselves on the next one, Jazz. Oh, right... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I love the whole album. Yes, even the first two songs. Roger's songs on that record, Sheer Heart Attack and Fight From The Inside, I always thought were awesome. And I love Brian's blues homage on Sleeping On The Sidewalk. My Melancholy Blues was a great song to end the album on too. And how can you not love Get Down Make Love, especially that middle section?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    What about "All Dead, All Dead?" Depressing subject matter, but a great tune! Brian May's "guitar orchestra" section in the middle can reduce me to tears.
    Dr. May specifically said when he was interviewed in Guitar Player during the Hot Space era that was what he was going for, so he would probably be pleased that you have that reaction.

'News Of The World' is a strong but more stripped-back album. I have to say though I rarely listen to 'Jazz'...something went awry with that one. They were back on track with 'The Game'- two Number 1 singles in the US alone. They had a bit of a wobbly 80s in terms of the albums that followed, but who didn't?

i opted out of the box set because i don't have blue ray. so i just got the Cd's & DVD separately. all i have to say is WOW! a piece of Queen history. the fact that they weren't perfect and reworked many songs to play live was exactly what a LIVE show is all about then. today, all bands sound like their studio recordings- so why bother. one regret is that i never saw Queen live. this DVD is like a time machine that captures the energy of Queen's live shows. i wish i was there!