Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is being a music snob such a bad thing?

What's the difference between a snob and a hipster(in musical terms)? IMO, a snob will try to influence you to their way of thinking, while a hipster will try to force their way down your throat. Worse, most hipsters don't even think for themselves, but follow a pre-ordained canon as to what's "hip"(ie. Velvet Underground). In this regard I think hipsters are far worse than snobs. Plus, almost all of them wear those stupid hats, which I would love to start a huge bonfire with.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Plus, almost all of them wear those stupid hats, which I would love to start a huge bonfire with.
    LMAO!

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Progressive_Rock

I like how it starts off----

"Whoops! Maybe you were looking for Elitism?"

(glass of H2O and a couple aspirin before bed does the cure !!)

nerd / hipster

A nerd IS his interests.
    A hipster decides his interest, which anyway he doesnt care to do properly, because that process would make him a nerd, which would be uncool.

I'd like to think my taste is discerning, not snob like.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    nerd-genuinely loves and obsesses over his chosen hobby or interest despite what anybody says or thinks.

hipster-a plaid wearing, e cigarette smoking fart in the wind with a stupid hat when it comes to liking or caring about anything.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I get called a snob by soccer fan because I don't like soccer, nor do I believe I'm socially obligated to follow it during the World Cup.
    Amen!

The 'indie hipster' thing is a tragedy. An awful lot of 'massive fans' of indie bands that don't sell many records...

I know that a lot of these guys who strut around masquerading as tastemakers know jack shit about the history of rock...only stuff that was related in some way to punk/indie rock. So we get a skewed history from them.
    Last edited by JJ88; 06-23-2014 at 02:31 AM.

I'm coming late to the game here, but I'll throw in my two or three cents.

I'm not crazy about musical snobbery, plain and simple. It's true, for people who are as passionate about music as many on this forum are, that music helps define who they are (and I include myself in that group, too). I think that's reasonable enough. Where I start to have problems is when folks define themselves by the music they listen to, and consider that as some reason why they're better than others...that what they listen to is inherently better music than what others listen to, making them somehow smarter, more discerning....fill in any additional blanks you like.

The truth is that for every person who thinks they're somehow better than others because they love progressive rock, there are jazz folks, classical folks..heck, even country purists...who assert the same thing about their music. And they're all making the same mistake.

First, what's the point? What purpose does it serve other than to erect unnecessary borders at a time when there are already too many of them?

Second, speaking for myself, I can listen to just about anything, with the exception of opera (general statement; there are exceptions) and countertenors. As much as I love me my prog, I also love me my jazz, my classical, my country, my folk, my singer/songwriter, my pop....in other words, I love me my music. That is what, I think, defines me - my overall love of music, period, not any one genre which, these days, is becoming increasingly difficult to define because there's so much cross-pollination as to render it, oftentimes, almost pointless. Almost.

That said, I don't think that being a music freak makes me any better (or worse) than someone for whom music is, generally, something to have on in the background, or dance to. Or who doesn't like music at all. I hate sports with a passion, but I don't think sports geeks are somehow lesser folks than music geeks - though I do wish they would stop preempting my favorite tv programs...I watch little enough tv, and to then have it preempted for football, baseball, basketball....argh.

So, I'm not particularly big on music snobbery. For the most part, everything in music has something to make it worthy of interest to those whose ears prick up when they hear it. And if it's not my music, even if I currently hate it? Well, that could ultimately be me, as I've found more times than I can remember, in my 58 years, that music I hated 20 years ago I suddenly find myself falling in love with. The music hasn't changed, only me. So how can I be a snob against, say, Bob Dylan when suddenly, in the last year or two, I've found myself suddenly "getting it" and, while he'll never be a great singer, there is suddenly something there that appeals to me in a big way.

So, there you have it. My name is John Kelman, and I'm a music junkie. Nice to meet y'all

Suspended
    The only time you should criticise someone else for the music they like, as oppoed to criticising the music itself, is when they are forcing you to listen to it unwillingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Plus, almost all of them wear those stupid hats, which I would love to start a huge bonfire with.
    Hahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The only time you should criticise someone else for the music they like, as opposed to criticising the music itself, is when they are forcing you to listen to it unwillingly.
    Definition of grade Gnosis 7 (out of 15) : "Completely mediocre. Neither good nor bad. In the greater scheme of things, an album rated as a 7 has been buried under a pile of much superior titles, and while one is not ready to pan it, the rating implies, that, ercan you put something else on? "

So I guess a Gnosis 7 is the boundary where attacks can become personal, if he doesn't change the "aural background"??

Bob: I realise you may not be aware of Gnosis...
    http://gnosis2000.net/quickguide.shtml
    Last edited by Trane; 06-30-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The 'indie hipster' thing is a tragedy. An awful lot of 'massive fans' of indie bands that don't sell many records...

I know that a lot of these guys who strut around masquerading as tastemakers know jack shit about the history of rock...only stuff that was related in some way to punk/indie rock. So we get a skewed history from them.
    Add some 80s minimal synth to their "likes" (they used to call it electrowave back then) and you 'd nailed it perfectly.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My father-in-law, may he rest in peace, was a true music snob. He only liked and only listened to jazz at home and in his car, but more than that he wouldn't tolerate anything else when he was in other people's homes either. And if anyone played rock or pop at home or in their own car he woud say, something llike "what is this noise?" Saying something less offensive like "I don't like this" was beyond him. He was very much of the "that is bad music, jazz is the only proper music." school of thought.

I was always very much of an omnivore when it came to music. But by the 90s I'd totally tired of jazz and its variants, by the 00s I'd completely tired of indie and all its aenemic pop and rock variants, by the 10s I'd totally given up on listening to the radio.

Now I'm back to the core of the music I used to listen to in the 80s:
    Metal/hard rock
    Synth/goth/EBM
    Psych/prog/classic rock
    Folk/country/cajun
    Soul/reggae/ska
    Classical

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    My father-in-law, may he rest in peace, was a true music snob. He only liked and only listened to jazz at home and in his car, but more than that he wouldn't tolerate anything else when he was in other people's homes either. And if anyone played rock or pop at home or in their own car he woud say, something llike "what is this noise?" Saying something less offensive like "I don't like this" was beyond him. He was very much of the "that is bad music, jazz is the only proper music." school of thought.
    That's pretty hilarious that he'd only tolerate jazz in other peoples' homes.

Imagine if someone would only tolerate a certain style of artwork in someone else's home.

IMO and YMMV work wonders in relaying in your post that it's a f*****g opinion and absolutely nothing more (no matter what you may delude yourself into thinking).

Snobs, elitists and pedants abound here at the Prog Sanitarium, and usually they're the most insecure when it comes to non-virtual face to face interaction with their fellow man/woman.

IMO YMMV
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    And if anyone played rock or pop at home or in their own car he would say, something like "what is this noise?" Saying something less offensive like "I don't like this" was beyond him. He was very much of the "that is bad music, jazz is the only proper music." school of thought.
    Wow! That is pretty harsh. Long ago when I was just a prat, after making a similar mistake, I vowed to never, ever argue with a man in his own house. Pretty much have stuck to it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's pretty hilarious that he'd only tolerate jazz in other peoples' homes.

Imagine if someone would only tolerate a certain style of artwork in someone else's home.
    Actually, it wasn't just music but also food, activities, TV, and children as well. He was a very kind and generous man, but very stubborn, very opinionated and very outspoken, and very impatient

His family and I on several occasions had to pull him up on how he spoke about things and how he spoke to people. I especially ripped him a new one a couple of times, when he started ordering my eldest son about in my presence, countermanding what I had already told my son to do. He never did it again after that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Wow! That is pretty harsh. Long ago when I was just a prat, after making a similar mistake, I vowed to never, ever argue with a man in his own house. Pretty much have stuck to it.
    Yea, it's good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    IMO and YMMV work wonders in relaying in your post that it's a f*****g opinion and absolutely nothing more (no matter what you may delude yourself into thinking).

Snobs, elitists and pedants abound here at the Prog Sanitarium, and usually they're the most insecure when it comes to non-virtual face to face interaction with their fellow man/woman.

IMO YMMV
    Well said as always Steve, the Socrates of prog.

If you are younger, being a music snob can keep you from getting laid.