Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling on Discogs and Amazon vs eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Just my advice - don't deal with artionmusic from Greece.That's the only dishonest from Greece.My dealing from Greece goes the long way
    A sad case it seems... I think that he closed business due to serious personal problems. I wholesaled albums from my label to him, he was always OK with paying his orders, untill few months ago that my Space Spectrum box returned undelivered (& unpaid) and there had been complete silence since then. You can always PM me the issue you have with him, to see if I can be of any help. A guy I know, thinks visiting him the next days in order to reclaim his distribution stock, so I could ask him to do something...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    A sad case it seems... I think that he closed business due to serious personal problems. I wholesaled albums from my label to him, he was always OK with paying his orders, untill few months ago that my Space Spectrum box returned undelivered (& unpaid) and there had been complete silence since then. You can always PM me the issue you have with him, to see if I can be of any help. A guy I know, thinks visiting him the next days in order to reclaim his distribution stock, so I could ask him to do something...
    Yes,it seems something bad happened to him.I hope he will see better days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    For those of you that send reminders, what has your experience been?
    A 60% of the non-feedbackers do leave in the end... The rest, they simply ignore.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I am currently through my most difficult deal on Discogs so far. Bought a record from a "new" seller (with no feedback) more or less the moment it was up on the website - a truly rare German private pressing which I once had in the past and then was stupid enough to sell it to the famous Austrian collector Hans Pokora. Then it appeared in his next book with 4 or 5 stars rarity rating, making it nigh on impossible for me to get another copy - prices skyrocketed immediately. Finally a copy turned up on Discogs for a pretty high price, but well below the usual market value, so I jumped on it. But it took 2 weeks for the seller to pack it, then he realized it's in worse condition than described and offered a partial refund (to which I agreed), and now it's been close to three weeks, and he still has not sent it, citing some lame excuses such as "sorry I didn't have time" etc. (a perfectly fine excuse for a few days of delay, but rather lame when it's three weeks we're talking about). In any other situation like that I'd have already left a negative, but I want this LP so much, and it's so hard to find elsewhere, that I'm thinking about taking some anger management courses

Speaking of which - I know when you buy something on eBay and seller rips you off, you can file a PayPal claim and get your money back. I was lucky to only deal with good folks all along, so I've never actually used that function, but it exists as far as I know. My question is: is it possible to do the same with a Discogs purchase? I'd have never bothered if it was a cheap bargain bin record, but losing 90 Euros isn't high on my wishlist.

You can make a claim with PayPal on any item purchased using PayPal, afaik.

I've been using Discogs a lot lately. Some real bargains and also some difficult to find items at more or less market value.

Just had an American seller charge $20 for domestic shipping, which is quite annoying.

You have 45 days from the date of payment to file a claim with Paypal. Keep an eye on the calendar.

Thanks for the tips, guys. It seems, we're squarely in the middle of the 45-day period now. Let's see where it goes. I'd hate to use that function and to leave negative, but sometimes you've got no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I know when you buy something on eBay and seller rips you off, you can file a PayPal claim and get your money back. I was lucky to only deal with good folks all along, so I've never actually used that function, but it exists as far as I know.
    Yes and it works. At least for me, on one situation that I'd used it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Just put up 40+ listings on Discogs, took me about 2 hours, which is 2-3 times faster than I can do it on eBay!

I have noticed a strange thing on Discogs: sellers with lots of very rare items at way-over-market prices. The records are so rare that the chances of them being spare copies is not good. So it looks like these guys are listing their collections as for sale, but at a greatly overpriced rate. If they don't get the inflated price, they're quite happy to keep the records as a collection. Speculation on my part, but that's how it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar
    Just put up 40+ listings on Discogs, took me about 2 hours, which is 2-3 times faster than I can do it on eBay!
    Yeah, it's really fast. The only problem is when you want to sell a record that's not in their database. Now THAT is a chore! You have to add it, filling in all song titles, label, catalog number and preferably also credits, cover scan, barcodes/matrices etc. I used to spend many hours doing this.

Yeah, it's really fast. The only problem is when you want to sell a record that's not in their database. Now THAT is a chore! You have to add it, filling in all song titles, label, catalog number and preferably also credits, cover scan, barcodes/matrices etc. I used to spend many hours doing this.
    For those few I'll stay w/eBay

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have noticed a strange thing on Discogs: sellers with lots of very rare items at way-over-market prices. The records are so rare that the chances of them being spare copies is not good. So it looks like these guys are listing their collections as for sale, but at a greatly overpriced rate. If they don't get the inflated price, they're quite happy to keep the records as a collection. Speculation on my part, but that's how it appears.
    That's what I would do. I tried it on eBay with a handful of items. Some did not sell, but I sold 2 at $200 above the highest previous price on popsike, and on another I got 90% of my asking price, so I'm thinking of trying the same thing on Discogs.

I think you're spot on. Funnily enough, the user "prog" seems to be the biggest culprit. As a buyer, I usually find this annoying, as something you want pops up, and it's just beyond the pale.

Admittedly as a seller, I do sometimes post items with a "I'll part with it at this" price, but those are usually things that I'm not 100% attached to, and I am against doing it for the bulk of my collection. I also try not to pick some arbitrary number that is way above the selling history, or the current listings. I want to straddle the line of having some stuff at prices I'll take, and not being completely dismissed out of hand because I have things at crazy prices. The bulk of what I do have listed I'd like to get out the door

I had an item that hadn't sold on eBay in more than 2 years. The last selling price was $600. I put it up at $800 and it sold within a week, no questions or haggling involved. It's all about supply and demand. On the other hand, I have items I haven't listed because they're worth more to me than I think I would be able to get.

I think you're spot on. Funnily enough, the user "prog" seems to be the biggest culprit.
    He's the one in Hungary, right? Yeah, he and an Italian seller are the ones I noticed the most, and led me to that conclusion, but there are some others too.

I think you're spot on. Funnily enough, the user "prog" seems to be the biggest culprit. As a buyer, I usually find this annoying, as something you want pops up, and it's just beyond the pale.
    Is he the one from Hungary? In the french site CD&LP.com, he has also the same prices. I think he runs a record store or something like that...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Yep, the Hungarian dude. And I've noticed one or two from Italy that also have a ton of my wishlist items with rather hefty price tags. When they have the only listing for a super rare record, it isn't as glaring, but sometimes they're $100+ over the next lowest, which is where it looks super inflated. I guess they don't actually have to earn a living selling those records

I have fill in all the details sometimes when adding a CD to my library via WMP. Been considering switching to Realplayer, which reads everything, including bootleg details.

Do you set up auctions at Discogs for buyer competition or do you post a set price and hope some buys it?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Do you set up auctions at Discogs for buyer competition or do you post a set price and hope some buys it?
    It's a set price only, no auctions.

Does Discogs notify the seller if someone places an item in their cart but doesn't purchase immediately? Sort of like ebay identifying number of watchers?

Does Discogs notify the seller if someone places an item in their cart but doesn't purchase immediately? Sort of like ebay identifying number of watchers?
    Nope. I do that all the time, since there's no watchlist function, like Ebay.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    On a similar line, does discogs track number of views (as ebay does)? I find this a helpful tool for when I relist an item, in terms of deciding on price changes and repeating an auction style or changing to buy-it-now.

Nope. That would be great though.